Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Gonzaga Bay Kayaking
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 2-25-2004 at 02:17 PM
Gonzaga Bay Kayaking

Has anyone that has been to Gonzaga Bay know if Kayaks can be rented?
Nikon
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2004 at 02:25 PM
Not a Chance

I rented mine a couple times when I was there, which was the only time in the history of the place to see it happen. But it's not much trouble to carry one down, I used to do it before buying one.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-25-2004 at 07:01 PM

Gonzaga is prety much a BYOT (Bring Your Own Toys) place... However, at L.A. Bay, Camp Gecko (and other places) rents them http://www.campgecko.com

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 2-26-2004 at 07:49 AM
Thanks for the Input

Sounds like I better plan on bringing my own, it will be my first trip to Gonzaga Bay and I thought there might be a chance and save myself the worry of carrying one over what might be rough roads. I appreciate your responses.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-26-2004 at 08:05 AM

Here's some pics at the beach at Alfonsina's, Gonzaga Bay (from Thanksgiving) http://davidksbaja.com/1103

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 2-26-2004 at 10:45 AM
Gonzaga kayaking

Last March two of our gang brought their own kayaks to Gonzaga.
It really paid off when we saw a large gathering of birds on the rocks a mile or two North of the spit.
It turned out to be a beached whale, pretty well picked clean.
The two kayaks were able to get onto the rocky shore, which our tin boats could not even approach.
(Whether or not selected souvenier bones were retrieved will not be discussed as these are likely covered by various environmental and wildlife protection acts... if any were found and brought back I ain't sayin' and don't intend to say.... but boy do they stink when you unwrap the taped on garbage bags!!! If you hang the bones from a tree for about a year the dog will sit under the branch by the hour, looking up)

Baja Arriba!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 2-26-2004 at 02:02 PM

Not that I would know, but paint the bones with bleach and put them on the roof of your house. When the wind blows you'll be out of range. Flip the bones over the next time you remember they're there and soon you'll have a clean, white whale bone for your home. Not that I have any.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 2-29-2004 at 09:43 AM
sperm whale bonz

About 20 years ago we were visiting an old friend who lived in a trailer in the sand behind Serinadad at Mulege.
There had been a stranding of sperm whales and he had a stack of ribs under his little trailer.
We wrapped one up and brought it home in the back of our Cessna 210.
Then the fun began,
it was oozing oil, so I hung it up in the garage, it kept oozing so I hung it in a tree.
Eventually the dog and the cats lost interest so I moved it down onto a fence rail.
Last year my wife tossed it out when I was not looking.
Still oozing oil!!!
They say that is why the sperm whale was so valuable, that it was just loaded with oil, from my experience I would agree with that observation.
(the rib that we may have retrieved last year is white, clean and the dog is not interested....)

Baja Arriba!!
Barney
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2004 at 04:27 PM

Anon. When do you plan to go to Gonzaga? The reason I ask, I will be there the end of March, hopfully with a kayake and nobody to go out with.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 3-3-2004 at 07:27 AM

My friend and I are leaving early Mar 10 and returning Mar 16 from Corona, I have a 4 wheel and we will go thru San Felipe. It will be my first time and I can't wait. I love the solitude of Baja if you can get away from the sometimes rowdy tourists. We are going to camp, sure hope the showers at Alfonsinia's have at least warm water!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2004 at 09:43 AM

Barney, do you have a sit-on-top, day boat, or a serious kayak? If you want to do a 3-4 day kayak trip, let me know. Animas bay?
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2004 at 09:47 AM
Boat Permit

How many of you get a boat permit for your kayak? I was told that you need one for anything that floats, registered or not. I got one last time, but I'm thinking of skipping it this time around. (Sit on top)
Bob H
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2004 at 11:27 AM

It is my understanding that you need a boat permit when you also need a fishing permit, i.e., if there is a fishing pole on board. Otherwise, you need boat registration info in order to get the permit, and one does not normally register a kayak. In some areas, like the Marine Preserve of Loreto, you need a boat permit just to be in those waters, which would apply to a kayak.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 3-3-2004 at 10:33 PM

Wilderone, I do not have a kayake, as of yet. Some of my friends do, and they are trying to steer me in the right direction. They use their's for ocean fishing. I am always open for suggestions. Thank you.
Barney
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2004 at 10:42 PM

Anon, When you return from your trip, could you please post the road conditions from SF to Gonzaga? I will be headed that way at the end of the month. Thank you. Barney
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 3-4-2004 at 07:30 AM

Barney,
Sure will, I don't even want to think about returning right now. But look for a report the week ending 3/19.
Barney
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2004 at 02:23 AM

Anon, You are too kind. I will be looking for the post. Should you see me in my white 350 Ford pulling a ALFA 5th wheel... Say it's you and the cold one is on me. Barney
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 01:16 PM
Road Conditions SF to Gonzaga Bay

Barney;
Had a great time. The road is rough but can be driven safely in 3 to 3-1/2 hours depending on picture taking. It is very scenic between Puertocitos and Gonzaga Bay. They reopened the Pemex at Gonzaga on 3/13. Also drove down to Coco's corner and then to Calamuje and back to Gonzaga on 3/12. Make sure your spare is in good shape.
Rick
Barney
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2004 at 05:02 PM

Anon, Thanks for the road info. Sounds like you had a fun time. Did you happen to do any fishing? How was the trip from the border to SF? Where there big crowds in SF? We plan to arrive late Sunday morning or early afternoon and stay until Saturday. Was the time enroute you posted from SF or Pourtocitos? Thanks again for getting back to me. Barney
HarleyLady

[*] posted on 3-18-2004 at 08:54 PM
San Felipe crowd

San Felipe is a zoo right now with all the spring-breakers, although my DH doesn't appear to mind the view of bikini-clad hardbodies on quads...
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.