Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Tires for my truck?
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 2-29-2004 at 09:48 AM
Tires

First time we pre-ran was in 1972 for the 500.
A local tire dealer (Jack McCoy, also Winston West NASCAR champ) loaned us a brand new set of 'take-offs', Firestones as I remember.
We took the tread clear to the cords on one loop of the course.
My first experience down there and the memory of spinning all the way up (and sliding all the way down) the Sisters above Gonzaga is still vivid.
Handed those tires back to Jack when we returned and he just shook his head.

Baja Arriba!!
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2004 at 11:47 AM

We have an F-250 with camper we take off and on. Truck now has 135,000 miles. Third set of BFG's, no problems. Lots of off asphalt travel in Baja and the south west. Next set will be BFG's for sure.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2004 at 12:33 PM

As noted before, I run BFG Mudders and have never had a flat. One thing that must be noted is that driving style definately plays into a tire's lifeline. Drive fast (David?) and you're likely to get a few more flats. Drive like a turtle and chances are you won't be changing too many tires.

Just my thoughts...

Zac

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2004 at 02:35 PM
Got it Neal, Thank you

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2004 at 09:32 AM

Bajaboy..... regarding the BFG Mudders. How noisey are they compared to the All Terrain A/T's (which are pretty quiet).
Bob H
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2004 at 11:40 AM

Bob-I'm not too sure if I could answer that question. I've had Mudders pretty much since I bought my truck in 94. I would say they are not that noisy but don't really have much to compare them to.

Zac

Baja Ken

[*] posted on 3-11-2004 at 09:13 PM
TrXus MT

I run the TrXus MT by Interco.

33"x12.5"r15" = $129.00

It is a mild mud-terrain that runs like an all-terrain on the street. The sidewalls are on guard to fend off rocks, cactii, tree roots, etc. I got these tires to give me the traction my Jeep deserves, and I expect to get about 40,000 mi. on the street with these.

BTW, my first choice was the BFG AT/KO, since I was so please with them. These tires have also been a pleasure to run, and I am impressed with them overall. They were made in Mexico (NAFTA??) for Interco (Louisiana)...

-Ken
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-11-2004 at 11:10 PM

If you All Terrain tire fans go look at the photos Corky posted in the Nacho's to El Marmol thread, you will see the poster of BillB changing a flat tire... note it looks like a pretty new, you betcha BFG All Terrain T/A!!!:lol: Sorry Bill, I don't wish a tire change on anyone (as I have done plenty)... All tires get flats (maybe not Zac's Mudders), so why pay a fortune for a name (and support a company from a less than friendly country)?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Baja Ken

[*] posted on 3-12-2004 at 05:32 PM

David,

How does buying a BFGoodrich tire support Chirac or his policies?

-Ken
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-12-2004 at 06:56 PM

BFG is owned by Michilin, which is a FRENCH company (if you wonder why France colonized IndoChina ie. Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, it was to grow rubber trees!) How many Americans died because of France's mis-managed colonies?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Baja Ken

[*] posted on 3-13-2004 at 01:00 AM

David, I still am lost in all of this, but, I'll just support Interco and their Mexican Mudders!

-Ken
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2004 at 09:58 AM

I normally run BFG AT KOs. A couple of years ago on a trip in Baja I had three flats over a five day period. All thru the tread. One from a nail believe taken in a motel lot in BoLA. The other two from sharp rocks. Now the tires were worn to about half tread. All flats were on the rear tires. That was the first flat I'd had in over ten years. I have since used on occasion the Remington Wide Brut with good results and they cost $89 for a LT265 or $108 for a LT285 at Carrols Tires. I still prefer the BFG tires but I'm not wedded to them. I also think how you drive plays a big part in the results. I also think that flats can and will happen anytime and anywhere on any vehicles
Baja Ken

[*] posted on 3-14-2004 at 05:24 PM

Its always a great idea to air your tires down before driving over backcountry roads, or those rocks you'll encounter will only be more effective at blowing out your tire. Also, a wet tire will get gouged much faster than a dry tire...

-Ken
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.