Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Ladies
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 7-15-2007 at 08:49 AM
Baja Ladies

Ladies of La Salina...........Mi Baja No Hurry No Worry

From the very first time I visited Baja I have had an image that seemed to just flirt at the edges of my conscious mind. As we drove down the old, “Free,” road I would look over and see a carload of females heading south. I always wondered what drew them down here. Did they realize what they might be getting into by traveling south into the ‘wilds’ of Lower California? They started coming, even before the advent of the Toll Road and they have never stopped. They seem to follow that road as though drawn by a Mexican Pied Piper. No, they are not all young and they surely were not all what you would call “vamps.” They were tall and short, slim and well rounded. Mostly they were a more seasoned bunch of people, but none of them acted as if they were anyone’s grandmas. They were women and they seemed to know exactly what they were looking to find.

When I first came to La Salina I was ignorant of the fact that it was two women who had made this a ‘party time’ place way back in the late 40’s. Bertha and Lolita were their names and they form the basis for the modern history of this bit of paradise. Almost 60 years ago they gazed out over the blue Pacific and knew exactly why they settled in La Salina.

Their sisters continue to flock to the shores of La Salina. Some come to bath in the sun, while others come to imbibe in the Cantina. Some do both! It’s amazing how many of them returned to the States to gather their husbands or lovers and returned to Paradise where they staked out their claims to tranquility, sun and fun. Some came alone and remained that way! They knew better what they wanted than most. For the most part they were “professional” women. A large number like Peggy Reagle, M.C. Menzie, Jan Day, Eileen Swete, and Niva Gribble were schoolteachers. A couple were nurses. Some were involved in real estate. The rest represented a cross section of womanly pursuits from restaurant owner to hash slinger. Some were ‘just’ housewives but what women they were—they took a back seat to no one. Shirley named her Motor Home the “La Salina Shuttle.” Thelma ran the bar!

I was a little surprised when I re-read “God and Mr. Gomez” and found that it was Mrs. Jack Smith (Denny) who insisted that they check out the land deal at La Bocana. She was the one who told Jack that they needed a sense of adventure in their lives. It was she who made the writing of one of the greatest books ever written about Baja possible. “God and Mr. Gomez” was the ‘bible’ for many of us who decided that we wanted to live with one foot in Mexico and the other in the United States. Most of our worries were reduced to laughter as we read that ‘bible’!

It was Mr. Gomez who reduced all of our fears of owning (leasing) land to its simplest form—He told Jack Smith that the house would be his when he gave him the key. So simple! So clean and clear!

The ladies of Baja all had one characteristic that was the bedrock of their being—they knew what they wanted and they were unafraid of grabbing it!

Shortly after her husbands death Peggy Pearson and a friend, Patty, threw a few things in their bags and walked out to the Toll Road where they flagged down a 3rd class Mexican bus. They boarded and headed south to the Bahia de Los Angeles where they were to spend a few weeks on the beach fishing and visiting with friends.

Returning to camp Peggy said that it was a trip that she would never forget and one that she would never attempt again.

She spoke of kids with leaky diapers, chickens in the overhead and a live pig that kept farting. Patty said that the trip took just a little over 26 hours with the bus stopping constantly to pickup or drop off passengers. Peggy commented that, “I have never had so many butts pushed in my face.” They were both thankful that the bottle of rum they carried aboard lasted ‘almost’ the whole trip.

P.S. Doubt that they would even recognize BOLA today!

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2007 at 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
Ladies of La Salina...........Mi Baja No Hurry No Worry

Patty said that the trip took just a little over 26 hours with the bus stopping constantly to pickup or drop off passengers. Peggy commented that, “I have never had so many butts pushed in my face.” They were both thankful that the bottle of rum they carried aboard lasted ‘almost’ the whole trip.

Great visualization. Pigs farting and butts in your face -- with a buzz going. Great!

:cool:

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2007 at 09:17 AM

Thanks, Bernie. I have met many independant women during my early time here, including gringas and locals. Must be something in the air/water/beer/tequila/rum.

FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2007 at 03:07 PM

Hey Bernie - that was a lot of catching up for me, after 2 weeks away - finally through all of them, and enjoyed all of it - :spingrin: Cheers Amigo >f<

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.