Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Cost of a New Panga?
bajabound
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2007 at 05:25 PM
Cost of a New Panga?

I was curious if anyone know about how much a new panga cost? Say a 21 ft center console with engineer.

Thanks in advance.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 7-18-2007 at 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound
I was curious if anyone know about how much a new panga cost? Say a 21 ft center console with engineer.

Thanks in advance.

I am curious too...I am an engineer too...I will be happy to go fishing with you:biggrin:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 7-18-2007 at 06:48 PM
Van Diaz Panga

I believe Gene told me he paid 26K for the panga and trailer....the Honda outboard was another 9K.

But wowee........ :dudette:

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
Loretana
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2007 at 06:55 PM
The Chili Queen

And here's her photo

:yes:

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
Loretana
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2007 at 07:09 PM
Chili Queen

One more try.....this photo posting gets a bit tricky sometimes!

chili.JPG - 49kB

-Nikola Tesla
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-18-2007 at 07:15 PM

you COULD buy our boat...
http://www.mulege.org/boat/boat.htm

i'll deliver and guarantee it....

edit:spelling

[Edited on 7-19-2007 by Bob and Susan]

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2007 at 09:29 PM

Most of the Loreto captains have moved from the 21-22 foot boats to larger 24-25 footers. So there are some of the smaller older boats around for sale, although most are side console boats.

Some of these new boats are made locally, but I believe most are made on the mainland. Last year I got a price of about $8000 US for a pretty bare bones boat, without the motor. A year or two before there was a truckload here with a govt subsidized price of $4500 US. These were from Sonora.

And remember, there is a 10% IVA on all this stuff if you buy new. Boat, motor, trailer.

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2007 at 06:42 AM

First of all when you say you want a center console panga you have to clarify a lot further. Ensanada Boat works makes several and local builders both on the mainland as well as some spots in Baja make some of these boats. Lupe Diaz of Los Barrilles makes undoubtedly the finest fishing boat anywhere in Mexico and is called a "super panga". Don Alley's new boat which you can do a search on this site is a Lupe Diaz Super Panga. The panga was originally built with seats every 3 to 4 feet which gave a real strength to the boat but then the gringos came and wanted a center console boat so they left the seats out. But when they did that they lost a lot of strength and the boat was able to flex in the middle section which eventually caused some delamination of the floor and hull. Lupe Diaz boats of the early years even had some of this problem but he seems to have this really taken care of on the newer boats. Others like Ensenada Boat Works tried other methods but made much heavier boat which did not handle quite like a Diaz Super Panga.
The last time I priced out a brand new boat from Lupe which was configured the way I wanted with bait tank, deck capping, center console, and all the goodies, it was approaching $30,000. He also had several older pangas that he was rebuilding from his older, narrower mold.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-19-2007 at 08:49 AM

Who built the pangas that Igor and Guillermo have?

Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 7-19-2007 at 09:01 AM

The builders name in Ensenada is Amato. A couple of years back you could pick up a fully rigged 24ft panga with your choice of motor for around 25K. Could be double that now.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
LarryK
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2007 at 11:19 AM

What do want to use your Panga for? Do you fish every day? How much do you want to invest in the boat? How important is for you to have a center counsel walk around?

I have a center counsel 21’ panga from “Pangas Rodriguez” in Ensenada. It is not a walk around, but it is super strong. This boat a 2000. I brought the boat used with a 70hp 2 stroke and have less then $8000 invested. It may not be fancy but it sure gets the job done.

My point is that you can be on the water in a good safe boat without spending a lot of money!
bigboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2007 at 12:10 PM
Rodriguez Panga

LarryK............I have a house in Campo La Jolla and would like to have a larger boat that I can beach launch. Presently, I have a small boat that I fish the beach and rocks with but would like a bigger boat for the island.
Do you beach launch or ramp launch. If you have a casa in or around Ensenada, I'd like to take a good look at your panga to get a few ideas before I take the plunge!
bajabound
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2007 at 12:12 PM

Thanks for the responses. I was just trying to compare prices between a panga say 21ft stand up center console to a 21ft center console Whaler, Grady or Mako. Something simialr to the Chili Queen (Photo Above)

I was going to use it for basic fishing in the SF bay during the summer and then trailer down to Baja for use during Oct and Nov. One or two people fishing nothing speacial.
LarryK
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2007 at 09:36 PM

BigBoy, check your U2U.

Larry
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2007 at 08:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I was just trying to compare prices between a panga say 21ft stand up center console to a 21ft center console Whaler, Grady or Mako. Something simialr to the Chili Queen (Photo Above)

I was going to use it for basic fishing in the SF bay during the summer and then trailer down to Baja for use during Oct and Nov. One or two people fishing nothing speacial.

Ok, now I have a better idea as to what you are trying to do. While there are a lot of boats built all over Mexico, some are just heavy clunky pieces of fiberglass while others are truly pieces of engineering and development which have come through years of development by the seat of the pants. The first real development of pangas were with the ARCA panga which started in the 60's in Mazatlan and then in the early 70's Max Schoyer bought the factory and moved it to La Paz along with the workers from Mazatlan. One of those workers was the family of Diaz. All Arca pangas were 22 ft. long and were called super pangas, with the gas tank up front in a compartment ahead of the center console. While they made 16',18',20' and 24' on special order, it was the 22 that evolved as the primary super panga since it rode waves like no other boat and did so with smaller motors.
In 1989 Lupe Diaz went out on his own , with financing from Terry Maas, of Loreto, and started making a 23' Super Panga. It was a foot longer and 9 inches wider than the old Arca pangas. Lupe took the major market share and the Arca pretty much went out of business since Lupe's boat was wider, longer and more economical to operate.
If you look at Makos, Grady-Whites, and Whalers, the fit and finish is definately superior to a Diaz Panga but you will also find it takes a lot more horsepower to push it through the water. Secondly, those are all around boats that are built for varying conditons, while the Diaz panga has evolved for the unique wave and wind pattern that we find in the Sea of Cortez.
Lupe went into business with one of the boys from the Palmas de Cortez and has a beautiful new facility at KM 109 just before the turnoff to Las Barrilles
bajabound
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2007 at 10:46 AM

Pescador

I had know idea how Diaz Panga got to LB.
That's some great insight. I guess I have more things to consider.

I had stumbled into the facility just of the turnoff to Las Barrilles one day when I was driving back to the airport. I actually stopped for breakfast just across the highway and noticed people building pangas and just poked my head in.

What's the weight difference from a super panga and a whaler, mako, grady type of similar length? Pretty much the same or are pangas heavier?
Again just generally speaking.

Panga's just look tough and last time I was fishing in La Ribera the guy dragged his super panga around the beach with his truck from the front hook of the panga. I've never seen a gringo do that with his/her boat before and this super panga was in good condition not something this person didn't care about.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 7-20-2007 at 11:01 AM

Would expect a panga to be lighter due to it's narrow design and not having a deep-V hull.:tumble:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-20-2007 at 11:09 AM

Quote:

What's the weight difference from a super panga and a whaler, mako, grady type of similar length? Pretty much the same or are pangas heavier?
Again just generally speaking.

Much will depend on the era of each of these boats you are talking about, especially with the Whaler and the Mako. I dont think Grady's have changed that much over the years.

I have a real affinity for the layout of the Makos and Kencrafts of the late 80s and early 90s (maybe later, too), when talking center consoles. I like the storage/kill boxes up front in a vee that create seating area in a pinch very handy. I also like the fact that they have removeable deck plates over the entire fuel tank. Yes. sometimes it may require moving your bait tank or leaning post, but at least you arent cutting the deck up. Assume that ANY boat will eventually have to have the fuel tank inspected by more than an inspection port.

The Mako website still has a great link to the specs of almost all their past models. You should be able to get an idea of the weight of these sizes of boats from this.

Spec link

Personally, I would take the increased vee and Carolina flare of these models over a panga in terms of pure ride You will stay drier and experience less pounding but, of course, you will pay more in fuel to get this. Length for length, these Carolina boats are heavier than pangas, which accounts for the increased ride improvement and decrease efficiency. This is especially true of the older Makos and Kencrafts; Gradys are probably about the same weight as they've always been. Makos and Kencrafts have cut a few corners since the late 90s; Grady just seems to raise prices to accomplish this.

I am not a big fan of the Whaler ride, even after they faced the music and had to increase the Vee in their models. But my kidneys are getting old.

[Edited on 7-20-2007 by Hook]

[Edited on 7-20-2007 by Hook]

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 7-20-2007 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Who built the pangas that Igor and Guillermo have?

Don't know the name, but those boats were built on the mainland.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2007 at 02:04 PM

First question;
If your going to trailer it all that way and only use it in the bay, why not get one of these 20 footers ?

boat 1.jpg - 46kB
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.