BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Govt Issued Discount Card for Seniors?
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 10:34 AM
Govt Issued Discount Card for Seniors?

DIF issues a card to seniors entitling them to discounts on certain things -- bus fares, drivers license fees, car registration fees. We are looking to find out more about the card. What we "think" we know is you must apply in person at a DIF office and not all DIF offices issue them (there is a DIF office in Maneadero but you have to get the card in Ensenada). You must have an FM3 or better and proof of residence (electric bill, phone bill). You either have to be at least 60 or 65, not sure which. The card may be called INSEN or INAM; there may have been a name change so I'm not sure which one is current or correct.

Any Nomads have this card? What exactly can you get a discount on? Any further info is much appreciated.

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 10:43 AM
Mexican Welfare ?

Let me begin by saying I am sincere and not trying to start an argument when I say this, but:

Wouldn't you find it unseemingly, as a far more financially secure foreigner, making use of a Mexican-Government subsidized program to assist Native Seniors ? It seems to me that this would be an example of the traits that make one think "Ugly American". Sort of like all the Americanos years ago who flooded across the border in Tijuana and elsewhere to buy (subsidized) Mexican Dairy products when they spiked in the U.S.
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 10:56 AM

You're so right. I feel like an ugly american every time I gas up.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Let me begin by saying I am sincere and not trying to start an argument when I say this, but:

Wouldn't you find it unseemingly, as a far more financially secure foreigner, making use of a Mexican-Government subsidized program to assist Native Seniors ? It seems to me that this would be an example of the traits that make one think "Ugly American". Sort of like all the Americanos years ago who flooded across the border in Tijuana and elsewhere to buy (subsidized) Mexican Dairy products when they spiked in the U.S.

I would agree with your reasoning here with this exception: Not all North Americans are living La Vida Rica in Mexico. Some are there because the cost of living in Mexico is cheaper and many people cannot hang on in the U.S. Also, many seniors are on fixed incomes. So, for them....why not take advantage of the discount card? It is legal and it is offered by a government that has compassion, at least in this case.

For me, the word "welfare" does not hold the same stigma as it does for some. It is a safety net for those in need. Where I agree with Sr. BillM is that the offer should not be abused by those who aren't living at the poverty level.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 11:55 AM

Toneart ----

Your reasoning may be bound to the realm of philosophy if what Magda told Hose A is accurate, that it's just for Mexican citizens.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Toneart ----

Your reasoning may be bound to the realm of philosophy if what Magda told Hose A is accurate, that it's just for Mexican citizens.

Well, Comitan has just burst that bubble, but Dennis, you are quite correct; my reasoning is bound by the philosophical constraints of my own skull.:spingrin: Occasionally stuff does leach through.......in and out.

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 12:29 PM

This was discussed about a year ago, and it was stated that a citizen or a non-citizen with FM2 - not FM3 - was eligible.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
edinnopolo
Nomad

Mood: laid back

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hose A
As per Magda........
The INSEN card is issued to Mexican citizens only at age 60.
This intitles them to ride the micro for 3 pesos. ABC for half price.
30% discount on water.
Discount on food purchase at certain stores.
They receive $1000 pesos a month from the government to live on.

I've had the card since 2000.
No idea who Magda is, but almost none of the above is true. They never asked me for any FM, but last year some of te people here in Loreto that applied, were told that you needed a FM2 to qualify. Tried the discount on the busfare and was denied in La Paz. Never heard of the 1000 peso government dole. Get 10% discount on your meds in a regular Farmacia. Issste will not honor it, claim their goods are already subsidized. Only advantage is the half off of your property taxes( and they ham and haw about that) and half off your water bill. Need to bring copy with you every time you pay.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 01:23 PM

This is what we got from FRAO -

"The Mexican Instituto Nacional de la Senectud issues this discount card in town through their representative at DIF. Dif building is located next to city hall. Their telephone number is 612-6082, 612-6735, 612-6077 hours 9 -3 .

You need to go there and present proof of legal status in the country, proof of residency, plus pictures and valid ID. There could be a language problem, so I would suggest taking someone who speaks spanish.

Thank you for contacting FRAO"

Foreign Residents Affairs / Sister Cities World Program / Rosarito

Some of our neighbors here have this card and they are American citizens residing in Mexico legally. They all had to show their FM3s to get the card.

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 01:51 PM

Quote:

I went next door and asked a 75 year old Mexican woman and she related the same story.

And here I thought you didn't speak Spanish. Where in the world did I get that idea from? Oh well..............

Just do it!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 01:53 PM

I don't understand why expats who have the financial qualifications to live here are looking for cheap bus rides anyway. I suppose it's for the same reason we can't pass up a garage sale.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 02:01 PM

Yeah ..... It's hard to avoid English in Ensenada, especially with three [ or more ] universitys in town.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 02:42 PM

Three of my friend have/had the "Old Folks" card and used them for property taxes and drugs. But as of Jan. 1 2007 they were told that ONLY Mexican citizens qualified.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Dave
Elite Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 7-21-2007 at 02:54 PM
Bravo!

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I don't understand why expats who have the financial qualifications to live here are looking for cheap bus rides anyway.

edinnopolo
Nomad

Mood: laid back

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 03:04 PM

Quote:

Be very careful who you call a lier on this board.

Hey " Super Moderator " are you threatening me:?:
Never called anyone a liar ( proper spelling btw. ), just related the facts of my card use experiences..No busfare discount, no groceries discount here in Loreto anywhere, only property taxes and waterbill discounts. 50 %. And since we buy all our meds at the Issste store, no discount there.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 03:17 PM

It never ceases to amaze me at the people who want something for nothing...and are willing prostitute thier manhood...how low do you really go:lol::lol::lol:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan

I never pass up a garage sale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nor do I.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 05:10 PM

I agree with Mr Bill, Dennis and Dave, never thought I'd say that ever :lol:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 05:19 PM

Well, thank you Pam.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 05:24 PM

Have fun children.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.