BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Where did all that Escombro go?
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 7-22-2007 at 07:41 AM
Where did all that Escombro go?

If he is smart, the dump truck driver will most likly tell you that he is taking your rubble to a dump. Maybe he is, maybe he ain't.

The rubble could be being dumped in the nearest arroyo, or, being used for fill somewhere, (which might be a good idea, but than again there are settling issues, you know, how much time before stability is reached?), Or, I think, (hope) taken to a dump.

I have heard that in the states they have recycling systems for old concrete, but the plant cost a fortune to set up. I do believe the guy who figures out an enviromental friendly way to deal with this in Baja could make a fortune and would for sure be my hero.
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2007 at 10:02 AM

Kate - In a perfect world, yes, wouldn't it be grand if old rubble was fill for a new contruction. Alas, from past conversations that I have had with Engineers and the Folks that know a lot more about this than I do, I expect it may be a bit more complicated than just dumping the rubble and than building footing up around it, adding some dirt and water in with the rubble fill and up we go. What about issues of air pockets, any possible organic matierals that are often mixed in with the stuff, etc., etc. that they tell me requires years to settle.

There is an owner of dump trucks in the East Cape who raised his property like a little mountain on the edge of the arroyo with all kinds of escombro, dirt, and tree trunks etc. Than he built his house right on top of it within about one years time, (sure am glad it is his house, and not mine). Anyway, maybe he knows something I don't, si dios mi presta vida, and I am around in another 10 years, I will let you know if he was right or not.

Larry - I know define the damnable dump. Well, in the East Cape it is up in the hills near El Coro. The sad thing being it is right on the way to one of the most beautiful little villages with the greatest long range view of the Sea of Cortez. They burn there on a regular basis, everything, plastic, tires, old batteries, along with what is left over of the somewhat organic garbage after the cows have gotten what they can eat out of it. That's right, think about it; everything imaginable in a dump goes up in smoke, (cough, cough). What a stinking mas of pollution is being sent to the village to the West when the wind blows their way and down to Buena Vista when the wind blows East.

I no way have a solution for all this, but am sure all ears for the person who does. It for sure is one of the issues that causes me great sadness to think about. After all, I throw stuff away all the time, I am a contributor to this mess and as responsible as anyone else. I just don't have a clue how to change it.
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2007 at 09:48 AM

Lencho, Grover- Both of you have given good answers, it is a start.....I am first to say that if we want to change the world, we start with our own personal example.

I am known by those around me to be kind of tight for my efforts in my personal life to recycle and not consume, that's o.k., still, I think about every little piece of plastic and paper that I throw in the trash, I too am a consumer, not without guilt. I think about the 3 tanks of gasoline that I consumed over the last year to just haul my fat ol ass when it was impossible to ride my bike or walk.

I reflect on what I did for a living building peoples dreams, creating art, beautiful structures that I am so very proud of. Ah but, at the same time my business has created mountains of rubble, argh......... o.k, this topic could go on forever for me, it is something that I contemplate daily.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 7-23-2007 at 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
If he is smart, the dump truck driver will most likly tell you that he is taking your rubble to a dump. Maybe he is, maybe he ain't.

Define "dump". :lol:

--Larry

An overture??

Ta da dump
ta da dump
ta da dump dump dump......

"Hi yo Silver, awa-y-y-y-y." :D

I'm glad you asked me, 'cauz William would never Tell. :rolleyes:

vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2007 at 03:58 AM

ELI, Was that Jose Luis with the dump trucks? Lives on the north end of town? towards Buenas Aires of the Araiza Cotas?
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2007 at 08:05 AM

O que Larry, the guilt is all yours, I give it to you freely, no trash attached.

I am glad to see you are having fun Toneart.

Yep, Vavcenbaja that's the same little Mountain. I sure hope he knows something I don't.

He is a heck of a nice guy, has been hauling materials for Vos for a good while now.

Also, he sells the best carne asada tacos at the right price on weekend evenings at his taco stand.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 7-26-2007 at 10:01 AM
Darn it all to heck!

When I first read this thread I tended to agree with the original poster. The more I thought on it the more I realized that it is just another example of folks wishing to keep the Mexicans from experiencing and benefiting from practices that have been used since the beginning of time and behavior which in the United States that has resulted in ‘most’ of our coastal areas multiplying over the years.

Just cast your eyes on San Francisco and you will readily see that as a result of the 1906 earthquake that some of the most valuable land in the area was created by dumping rubble into the Bay in the area that currently is one of the most visited tourist areas in the state.

Just think! Were it not for illegal dumping most of downtown San Diego would still be a mosquito infested mud flat……..Basically everything west and south of ‘Old Town,’ including MCRD, the International Airport, and both Harbor and Shelter Island would be clam hunting mud flats.

Huge chunks of Chicago were created in the same manner.

Forget the fact that most scientists assure us that these instable areas would turn into huge bowls of jelly should that experience the ‘proper’ earthquake.

And now we are calling for poor Mexicans to cease and desist from following, basically, the same procedures.

Take a look at Cabo and realize that most of that glittering place was placed on the same sort of mud flats.

Think about it for a minute and you will find that this ‘dumping’ has created some of the finest land in the world.

My three pesos!

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2007 at 12:20 PM

ELI, I have known Jose Luis and his family for years, back
when he used to skipper Marlin cruisers. Fished with him
and his brothers. Manuel Araiza too,R.I.P.
His mom was the go to cook for turtle back in the old days.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.