BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Any camping at Ensenada de Muertos?
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-29-2007 at 12:26 PM
Any camping at Ensenada de Muertos?

I'd like to spend a night or two camping in the Ensenada de Muertos area (near Punta Arenas) so I can fish the south end of Isla Cerralvo. I don't need much--a quiet spot or a little campground.

Well, I need a launch ramp for a 20' tin boat and I have heard there is a nice one available, but I haven't confirmed that.

Any info?

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 7-29-2007 at 04:08 PM

Caveat: It's been a number of years since I have personally been out to the Punta Arenas / Los Planes area - although I love the area greatly.

Not sure of the launch capabilities currently. Possibly here or at La Ventana (?).

Muertos is now Bay of Dreams "Bahia de los Sueños".

http://www.landscapeoffice.com/portfolio/bahia_del_los_sueno...

http://www.threebestbeaches.com/northamerica/mexico/cabosanl...

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/calou/?xjMsgID=30092

http://www.cabosanlucasbeaches.com/bahiadelossuenos.htm

As far as camping (albeit sans launch ramp), something to mention is Punta Arena de la Ventana, near where the Hotel Punta Arenas is/was (Parakeet Point, north of Muertos/Suenos). Primitive, tropical and fun (or, used to be anyway...).

--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 09:37 AM

Thanks Doug, without your input this thread would have suffered a lonely death. Are the Nomads getting a little too comfortable and not venturing out much anymore?

I'll bit the bullet and do a recon mission down there today. Results on another thread.

[Edited on 7-31-2007 by BajaBruno]

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 10:03 AM

Who's Gary ??????? What, you had to wait a whole four hours for a reply???

Have you run a search for this topic? It comes up every often with little concrete response. You might search and draw your own conclusions............

About the place, not Nomads in general. :rolleyes:

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 10:18 AM

Well I could tell you that when I was there 5 years ago, there was indeed a boat ramp...does that help....

That said, I would be surprised if they encourage people putting their boats in there now. It supposed to be a very high end resort. The pix I have seen of houses are incredible....very expensive looking. Aluminum boat....quien sabe

We all await your report!

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 10:49 AM

Correct me if you have new info...

Yes you can camp. There is plenty of camping but Muertos is limited by its small beach area and lack of bathrooms. Yes there is a launch ramp for use at Muertos. No problems. The beach is also very hard pack at the water and many/most use the beach to launch. The Giggling marlin restaurant there is helpful to all, they can make food to go or for there. They have an outdoor shower and bathrooms for customers etc... The fishing and diving is great.

Around the point to the north toward Punta Arenas is excellent to camp though soft sand. At this time of year the sandy beach East of Punta Arenas (now called Turquesa) toward los Plannes is lined with boats pulled up the sand and camping. You might find the smell of dead fish to be strong due to the shark fisherman who just dump carcasses along the beach. Out off of Punta Arenas to 88 are many fisherman and some spear fisherman. Up between Cerralvo and El Sargento, a fellow named Tim from Palapas Ventana recently set a world record in spear fishing a roosterfish 72lbs
http://bp1.blogger.com/_2xCw5doZ8_8/RpeW-h3SVMI/AAAAAAAAAGY/...

If you have a nice boat that you can't beach launch you will need to use the Muertos ramp and motor up around to your camp at punta arenas and bahia de la ventana and anchor your fancy boat off the beach.

La Ventana and El Sargento dont have ramps but they do have beaches for launching. The main camp at La ventana is a nice place to beach launch in front of the shrimp farm and there are many other spots.

No official camping on Isla Cerralvo.

The entire area from Las Cruces above bahia de la Ventana to Punta Pescadero to the south offers great diversity of fishing and many opportunities.

There is currently only one gas station in los plannes so plan accordingly.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 12:11 PM

Thanks gnu
I wondered what it was like there now. Sure used to be a pretty little harbor. Is the old pier still there?

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 01:01 PM

Los Muertos Bay is a gorgeous place (except for the scarred hillside with new roads and homes). There is a very nice concrete boat launch with a funky, turn-a-round area. I have been there the last two years and have not seen anyone camping there. There is a guard shack and sales office as well as the "yacht club". Many folks from La Ventana dirve there to launch for a closer trip towards the south end of the island.
From La Ventana though, you can fish towards La Paz and the north end of the island is also closer. From La Ventana towards the south end of the island, you can stay within a mile of shore and pick up a bunch of sierra on the way home.
You do know it can get darn hot there this time of year !?

[Edited on 7-30-2007 by Diver]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 01:08 PM

Were they charging to launch or park there, Diver? Cuantos?

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 01:36 PM

2 times there was no charge; no-one there that early.
1 time it cost me 2 cigars to the early guard in the shack.
I don't know of any official charge as of last February.

There are often boats at anchor in the gorgeous little harbour and some pangueros/guides also use the launch.

Let me know if you catch a monster Wahoo with a purple CD14 hanging from its lip just off the south tip (to the west a bit) of the island. It must have been HUGE !! :biggrin:
And I'd like my lure back ! :lol::lol::lol:

BajaBruno
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 06:50 PM

Thank you GnuKid and Diver. I drove out there today to check it out. I'll take the boat back tomorrow morning and launch. The ramp looks good. Certainly good enough for my 20' tin boat. Parking is public and free, the beach is posted as public and free, but no vehicles. I saw no one camping, but my needs are minimal. I would have been happy to sleep on a mattress in the boat in the parking lot.

I'll get a trip report posted with photos when I get a more reliable internet connection. Until then, I'll look for that purple CD14, Diver!

Here's a photo of the launch ramp.----sorry, can't get it to post!!!

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 06:54 PM

That was one of heck of a roosterfish! :O

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 07:54 PM

You'll see people on the weekend and especially holidays. I spend a great deal of time there. In the winter the north winds make Muertos a great escape from the wind. Though in Summer the wind can come from the south so the beach there at Muertos is not always the best place but you can always just go up around the corner of Punta Arenas. Basically if you look at every beach in the area they are far more pleasant and beautiful than the cove at Muertos though off the beach the diversity of fishing is amazing.

On a tangent, one night this year I was there camping and it started to rain. Strangely, like a dream, a young tall blond french speaking women came to the tent in the night and asked if she could get out of the rain, I understood and said it was fine and went back to bed. Then in the early morning I said "well I have to go boating now, do you want to come along?" she replied "well yes, can I bring my two friends also, please?" I agreed and we left to visit Cerralvo.

Turns out they were three female french canadien artists who brought an amazing array of old and new cameras and taught me a few things about light.

With their encouragement I enjoyed taking pictures of rocks, as though rocks have personality, like this
http://ooto.com/011207/pages/P1120032.html

Weird huh? Have fun!

[Edited on 10-13-2009 by gnukid]
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 08:12 PM

Wow Gnukid! Fantastic photos! I especially liked the kissing rock, the elephant rock and the laughing rock (74?).What a trip!It sure looked cold tho.What time of the year was this?

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 09:41 PM

Gracias amiga it was cool in january (the pages show dates) I spend so much time out there the rocks, dolphins they are my friends. Here is another favorite "rock" she was speaking to me ;-0

http://ooto.com/110805/pages/DSC03660_1.html

[Edited on 10-13-2009 by gnukid]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-13-2009 at 09:48 AM

bump

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.