Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chris Blais Suffers Broken Back
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 03:18 PM
Chris Blais Suffers Broken Back

OFF-ROAD - Blais Suffers Broken Back
By Jean Turner
Photo By J. van Oers (Photo © Cycle News, Inc. 2007)
High Hopes 8/6/2007

KTM’s Dakar Rally star Chris Blais suffered a bad crash while pre-running the upcoming Nevada 1000. Coming into Tonopah, Blais reportedly hit a square-edged bump in a silt bed which sent him on his front wheel. He rode it out for nearly 50 feet before going over the bars, and cart-wheeled another good distance.

Blais suffered a broken collarbone and crushed his T-7 vertebra. Johnny Campbell was the first on the scene with Blais, and waited with him until a helicopter transported him to a hospital in Reno. He underwent surgery on Sunday night where doctors fused his vertebra and inserted two rods in his back.

From the waist up, Blais has feeling and mobility. But he has no feeling in his legs – yet. The extent of the injury to his spinal cord won’t be known until the pressure and swelling go down but hopes are high, and Chris and his wife Patty are holding up well.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 03:20 PM

Our prayers are with him to make a full recovery.
bajabird
Nomad

Mood: Always happy

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 03:31 PM

Our prayers are there. Full recovery to Chris.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2007 at 01:33 PM
Update on Chris

From Cycle News:

OFF-ROAD - Blais Update
press release
Medical Fund Established 8/13/2007

A Bank of America savings account has been established to help defray medical and rehabilitation expenses for Red Bull KTM off-road star Chris Blais. A motorcycle crash in the desert near Tonapah, Nevada, last weekend while pre-running the Vegas-to-Reno race has left the 3-time Dakar Rally veteran severely injured.

Among the injuries Blais suffered was damage to his vertebra. After undergoing emergency surgery Sunday night to stabilize his spine, Blais remains in a Reno area hospital surrounded by his wife Patty and other family members. Once his condition improves and allows him to be moved, Chris will be relocated to a rehabilitation facility nearer his Apple Valley home in Southern California. However, it is still too early to tell to what extent his spinal cord has been damaged nor how permanent his injuries may be. What is certain is that there is that Chris and Patty face a long and difficult recovery process ahead.

"Chris and I want to say thank you very much to everyone for the outpouring of kindness and concern for his well-being," said Patty Blais. "We had no idea that so many people knew and cared about Chris, and their attention means very much to him. The thoughtfulness and level of genuine concern is overwhelming." Those wishing to help Blais, you can donate to: The Chris Blais Medical Fund Bank of America account #: 5010-0050-3860.

For further information about Chris Blais, or The Chris Blais Medical Fund please contact Scott Cox at 760/436-9937, fax 760/436-3711, or dakar@resmarket.com.
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 8-13-2007 at 01:45 PM

:?:I would have though a factory rider would have full coverage.:?: WTF, Red Bull needs to step up.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-13-2007 at 02:07 PM
Same thought occurred to me, Tom

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
:?:I would have though a factory rider would have full coverage.:?: WTF, Red Bull needs to step up.

Huh??
Factory rider.
Gotta be covered, at least for the meds.
Maybe longterm the family will have some "issues"
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 07:10 AM

One would certainly think that KTM would have full coverage on him. But I don't know, maybe there are other issues related. I saw another piece somewhere that they were going to do another operation at UCLA. If I find it I'll post it.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2007 at 11:43 AM
Todays Update

From Cycle News:

OFF-ROAD - Chris Blais Back Injury Update
Posted By Jean Turner
Blaisin' Through Rehab 8/17/2007

A recent email from Patty Blais, wife of injured KTM rider Chris Blais, reported some good news regarding Chris' rehabilitation. After being transfered to Loma Linda Hospital to be closer to home, Chris and Patty are doing well, and making good strides in rehab.

"Today was really awesome," Patty said in a recent email. "We are so happy to be close to home! This facility is really great and we already feel so much more comfortable and excited about the rehab."

Chris is doing well in rehab, and did nearly an hour of exercise. He is wheeling himself around in his shiny new "Blais Racing" wheelchair (which they plan to paint orange).

"We were so excited this afternoon," Patty continued. "He's more relaxed and feels like things are going to get better quickly. This facility specializes in spinal cord injuries and everyone who has met Chris, is already very taken by his attitude! Not sure how long the rehab will be but they will also be teaching me how to help him and encourage that I am there most of the time.

"There is so much positive energy around us right now that things can only get better. I want to say THANK YOU again to everyone putting raffles together, auctions, raffling personal belongings, and all the other wonderful things that everyone is doing.

"The time during the day goes by fast and I'm focused on my husband and really don't care about much else right now. We are aware that we have 500+ wonderful friends and family members and we know that you are all there for us! THANK YOU FROM THE WHOLE BLAIS FAMILY!!!!!!!"
Cervisin
Nomad

Mood: Mañana... quizá

thumbup.gif posted on 8-17-2007 at 12:22 PM
Best wishes for a full recovery.

1977- 4th. Vertebra lower back broken at 250MX in Europe . 1991 Commotion by the Ocean, 5th gear wide open up the Carlsbad Freeway, another rider touched my rear wheel over a jump and flipped me backwards with the bike and more or less upside down I impacted. Suffered a 5th. vertebra lower back compression fracture with pieces of bone injected the spinal canal – anyway, just saying I know the pain and suffering both for the rider and loved ones - for months ahead.....

Don’t give up Chris Blais. As a competitor you know how to fight - this time it's your mind against your body..... With determination you’ll heal !!

I'm pretty sure Red Bull and Mateschitz will take care of their obligations.

[Edited on 18-8-2007 by Cervisin]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.