Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Emiliano Zapata Birthday
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2007 at 07:36 AM
Emiliano Zapata Birthday

"Born August 8, 1879, in Anenecuilco, Morelos. Was a mediero(sharecropper) and horse trainer.

Conscripted into the army for seven years, attaining the rank of sergeant. As president of the village council, he campaigned for the restoration of village lands confiscated by hacendados. His slogan was "Tierra y Libertad". Zapata sided with Madero.

Between 1910 and 1919, Zapata continued his fight for land and and liberty, rebelling against anyone who interfered with his Plan of Ayala which called for the seizure of all foreign owned land, all land taken from villages, confiscation of one third of land held by "friendly" hacendados and full confiscation of land owned by persons opposed to the Plan of Ayala."

source: www.mexconnect.com/mex_/history

[Edited on 8-8-2007 by bajadock]

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-8-2007 at 08:02 AM
Let's take the day off and celebrate

I needed an excuse,
now we all have one...
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 8-8-2007 at 08:12 AM

Thank's

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-8-2007 at 08:25 AM
I wonder...........

How he would be received if, today, he ventured to Baja Sur and unfurled his banner of "Land & Liberty." The rumor was that he never died so it is possible that he could make the journey any day now.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
oldhippie
Banned

Mood: muted

[*] posted on 8-8-2007 at 08:40 AM

He wouldn't be happy with Hacienda Butterfield and peonage he has planned for the Mexican residents of Loreto.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacienda

Do the people of Mexico know their history? They're repeating it, at least as far as Loreto is concerned.

Viva Zapata!

elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2007 at 09:11 AM

ˇViva Zapata! ˇZapata, presente!
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 8-8-2007 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
The rumor was that he never died so it is possible that he could make the journey any day now.

Kennedy and Elvis are going with him.

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 8-8-2007 at 10:35 AM

Happy birthday Emiliano!
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2007 at 02:04 PM
Zapata

Diego Rivera's rendition of Zapata from the Palacio de Cortes in Cuernavaca, Morelos. Anenecuilco is located just outside of Cuautla, Morelos, and is about an hour from Cuernavaca. It was a major sugar producing region prior to the 1910-1920 revolution.

100_4284.jpg - 15kB
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 8-8-2007 at 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldhippie
He wouldn't be happy with Hacienda Butterfield and peonage he has planned for the Mexican residents of Loreto.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacienda

Do the people of Mexico know their history? They're repeating it, at least as far as Loreto is concerned.

Viva Zapata!

I read the history of Mexico three times because it was so interesting. Yes the haciendado situation is repeating itself in Loreto and in other areas, I can see that clearly and have mentioned it many times. with the poor education locals get here I doubt they can recall their history and few will make this connection.

ˇViva Zapata!
ˇTierra y Libertad!
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2007 at 09:05 PM

Golly Gosh, we are a People Magazine/CNN culture. Some idiot posts his single life fantasies and this board has the most fun possible without wrapping it in bacon or grouper.

My occasional post on history, tradition and Mexican leaders is my attempt to learn and share more about my new country. Happy to see a few pickup on historical repetition of land ownership challenges.

I do like grouper. And the ceviche I am finding in Ensenada is becoming my favorite dinner. Ok, add several cervezas due to my irish bloodlines. Ok, add one of E.Z.'s great grand daughters.

Viva Zapata y Viva Mexico!

academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 01:01 AM
The Same Boss in a Different Set of Clothes

%Thomas Nast's famous political cartoon is appropriate here: "To The Victors Belong The Spoils." Although the 1917 constitution ostensibly abolished haciendas, there have been and are ways of getting around it, such as buying an amparo or registering the land in sections among family members just below the legal limit. The post-revolution leaders have always set a good example of economic disinterest and social justice for the poor.

Nast Cartoon.jpg - 30kB
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 01:06 AM
Zapata

Of all of the revolutionary caudillos (cow-dillos) of that period, Zapata was the only one who actually was faithful to his stated agenda, the Plan de Ayala. His activism began when he inherited the responsibility of protecting the Anenecuilco land titles. Other community leaders during the Porfiriato, when sugar was expanding in Morelos, sent papers to Mexico City for suits, and the papers mysteriously disappeared. Zapata wanted the restoration of community lands he felt had been wrongly taken. He was gunned down in 1919 on the orders of Gen. GOnzalez, one of the revolutionary caudillos who was himself very modest in his reaping of the spoils.
oldhippie
Banned

Mood: muted

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 07:52 AM

academicanarchist,

This is off topic, but if you like anarchy (I've always thought I would do well in such a society) you should visit the Dominican Republic. I spent a couple of weeks in Puerto Plata and from I could tell and from conversations with locals, the Government has no money/power. It's a free for all. I liked it. And all the people I met seemed to be happy.

rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 10:38 AM

Happy Birthday

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2007 at 01:11 PM

Hang in there with those occasional posts, Bajadock. This forum is in constant danger of fading completely away [except for the efforts of the anarchist] and needs all the help it can get.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 8-13-2007 at 04:44 PM

His birthday explains the vendors selling Mexican flags on the streets!

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2007 at 04:51 PM

Traditionally, the flag sales have commenced about a month before Independence day.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 8-13-2007 at 05:10 PM

A local Yuma landmark, Sprague's gun store (known to local Latinos as "Sprago's), is featuring an Emiliano Zapata Commemorative Colt 1911 in .38 Super.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2007 at 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
A local Yuma landmark, Sprague's gun store (known to local Latinos as "Sprago's), is featuring an Emiliano Zapata Commemorative Colt 1911 in .38 Super.

So...what are they asking? Limited edition...how many?

I could sell all you brung me. :rolleyes:

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.