BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja surfers in accident....
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 07:56 AM
Baja surfers in accident....

Van carrying 6 people and 14 surfboards... with trailer ... runs off road near Guerro Negro while passing big rig....story from surfline....
The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 09:07 AM

Here's a link
http://www.surfline.com/surfnews/article_bamp.cfm?id=10471
It's amazing that all walked away.
Having gone through this several times personally, it makes you wonder how we survive just walking out the front door!

Whoa there, Cowboy - pull back on those reins!
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 09:24 AM

Yikes
That is scary! That vehicle looks like a death trap.
Gracias a Dios

oldhippie
Banned

Mood: muted

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 09:48 AM

Ouch -

"but Ty Peterson ended up with severe injuries, including broken ribs, four pelvic fractures, six broken vertebra and a punctured lung."

If he walked away, he didn't walk far. Broken ribs, back, and hips with a deflated lung. Doesn't sound like the folks in the back had their seat belts on.

"Everyone who was in the back seat was thrown from the car as it rolled."

Sure kids have fun, we're in Mexico, screw the seatbelts.

Passing an 18 wheeler, towing a trailer, with a heavily loaded vehicle on a narrow 2 lane highway. All based upon the truck driver's "go ahead, give it a try signal". I bet they were tailgating the guy. Was it at night too?

Hate to say it, but......duh!

The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 10:32 AM

I sorta agree with ya, Hippie, but usually its the male drivers (me) that make wilda$$ assumptions and pass trucks (at night) hellbent to get to the next town. The mom was driving, so I have to assume she was being cautious. I have found that when passing semi's faster than 50MPH, as you get to the front, you have to fight the truck's airflow from the grill. This usually means that as you reach that point, you have to turn in towards the truck to compensate for the airflow trying to push you away, and then turn away slightly once you're in the airflow. The trailer just follows since both the semi and your truck have created a vacum that actually pushes the trailer back towards your truck. As you pass the truck, then the trailer feels heavier becuase it's not in the pocket anymore. That's why, no matter what you do, the trailer always fishtails a bit after you pass the truck. Anyway, I bet she didn't compensate for the airflow as she was passing since she states that the left front tire went off the shoulder. She could have also encountered one of those pesky trucks that like to straddle the center line and just won't let you pass!

Whoa there, Cowboy - pull back on those reins!
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 10:40 AM
Grom ?

Pardon me but, :?: I have googled this and connot find a defination of "grom" ...... is this a secret sufter term or can someone clue me in .....

thanks CaboRon

oldhippie,
I tend to agree with your assesment. My first thought also was apparent lack of seatbelts on the rear passangers. When I worked at D'land we said that the guests left their brains at the front gate .... seems to be a problem with vacationing homo sapiens ..... probably some deeply rooted protective mode that the primitive brain slips into .

Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 10:46 AM

A Grom, or Gromitt. Is hipster surfer slang for a young surfer.

Good luck comes in many forms, Baja is a proving ground for it.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

cool.gif posted on 8-9-2007 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
A Grom, or Gromitt. Is hipster surfer slang for a young surfer.

Good luck comes in many forms, Baja is a proving ground for it.

Thanks for the def'

:coolup: COOL DUDE ! :coolup:

Are you Hip or are you Hep ? :cool:

Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 10:53 AM

Dude, I'm not pimpin, I'm limpin.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
edinnopolo
Nomad

Mood: laid back

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldhippie
Ouch -

"but Ty Peterson ended up with severe injuries, including broken ribs, four pelvic fractures, six broken vertebra and a punctured lung."

If he walked away, he didn't walk far. Broken ribs, back, and hips with a deflated lung. Doesn't sound like the folks in the back had their seat belts on.

"Everyone who was in the back seat was thrown from the car as it rolled."

Sure kids have fun, we're in Mexico, screw the seatbelts.

Passing an 18 wheeler, towing a trailer, with a heavily loaded vehicle on a narrow 2 lane highway. All based upon the truck driver's "go ahead, give it a try signal". I bet they were tailgating the guy. Was it at night too?

Hate to say it, but......duh!

Only in this instance it seems that not wearing seatbelts actually saved their burros. Did you see the pictures of the van after the accident.:?::?:
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 12:31 PM

I'm not so sure Ed. There seems to be a lot more clearance left in the rear than the front, and the front passengers DID walk away.

From the manufacturer's website: "All captain's seats and forward facing outboard seats include 3-point seat belts. All other seats include a lap belt unless noted otherwise".

We all know that "groms" think they are bulletproof, one or more responsible adults are often required to assure that they obey the law and common sense and strap in.

55-75 GRAND for that rig...in my life, that ain't chump change.
I'll bet they'll be more patient next time. I'm sorry for their pain.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 02:48 PM

I nearly had a head on once while passing on a curve just south of the old Maneadero checkpoint, and vowed (partly as a consequence of the immediately ensuing death threat by my wife) never to pass unless I have a clear view of the road where I'd be in the opposing lane. As we see here, a mistake can be deadly.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2007 at 09:37 AM

We came upon that accident shortly after it happened, the van looked flattened, we followed another ford van (with nine boards on top)and a toyota pu till they caught the two ambulances. Then we backed off and drove into GN. We checked in to the Malmarrimo and drove through town, we saw the 2 ambulances and chase cars and of course police car. What you can't tell from the picture is the van was pointing north upside down. There was also a semi truck on the west side of the road right side up but burried in the soft shoulder sand. Tragic, glad every one will be ok. Those vans look top heavy even empty.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 8-18-2007 at 09:48 AM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=26162

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.