BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Do I need a tourist permit?
Barney
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2004 at 04:30 PM
Do I need a tourist permit?

Can anyone tell me if I will need a tourist permit to go as far as Gonzaga?
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2004 at 05:19 PM

Technically, if you are in the country more than 72 hours, then you need a permit. If you had asked what the chances of being asked for a permit if visiting Gonzaga, I'd bet minimal. But, I'd suggest getting a permit and not worrying about it. Make sure you get it validated for 6 months.

Zac

MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 3-2-2004 at 05:50 PM

in thirty years of traveling Baja. I've never been asked for a permit except at Guerrero Negro. I always have one because we go south of there alot. but I wouldn't waste my time getting one to go to Gonzaga. Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2004 at 06:30 PM

As has been said many times before: If you are in the country and legally are required to have a visa your auto insurance is not valid if you do not have said visa. That is reason enough for me to keep a valid and current 6 month visa at all times in my truck with my insurance docs. Gonzaga would legally require a visa.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2004 at 07:48 PM

Pay the minimal fee and get the permit. It is such a small amount to pay to be LEGAL! If you didn't get it and there was a problem you would be kicking yourself in the arse, big time, for not getting it. That's my 2-pesos worth.
Bob H:yes:

[Edited on 3-3-2004 by Bob H]
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2004 at 11:48 PM
Tourist Permit?

What is the fee for permit?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-3-2004 at 12:40 AM

Meme, you're scaring me! :) You live in San Felipe, so I presume you have stepped up to an FM-3 visa? The 'Tourist Card' (Tourist Permit) or FM-T is the visa for tourist (not resident aliens). It was FREE until mid-2000... and is now about US$20/pp. It can be good up to 6 mos., (180 days) but you have to ask for the max. duration (otherwise they put down 90 days). Good for repeat visits in that time frame (for destination in Mexico, put down the furthest south point you would ever visit in that period).

This 'tax' on visitors has been the biggest blow to tourism, hurting the people who depend on tourist dollars. A family of five must now shell out $100 before even starting their vacation... Other free destinations have replaced Mexico for many.

San Felipe was hurt so bad, their web site claims that the 3 day grace period for not having to pay and get a tourist card is extended to 7 days.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2004 at 09:10 AM
Tourist Visa?

LOL LOL LOL!! YES David!Not to Worry!!! I live here and have for several years! Yes! I do have an FM-3 lol! Several years also! I just do not know anyone here who has a Tourist permit? So just did not recall what it costs? Was wondering as my daughter maybe is going to fly out of San Diego (Brown Field) with Capt. Mike and he said they would need to get Tourist Visa? She is only coming to San felipe no farther south. Just thought maybe too she may have to have it because would be flying not driving? I'm awaiting some more info from him on this?:lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-3-2004 at 05:54 PM

That's correct, flying is not driving and it is required.. Besides, the San Felipe Airport is SOUTH of San Felipe, and that alone requires a card for any time period trip.

As for the auto. insurance being nullified... nope, not from my questions. If you have a valid paid premium/ claim... they will pay. However, on a moral/legal point... do you want to be an illegal alien? You are if you don't have a visa beyond the border region (Maneadero to San Felipe) or longer than 3 days (7days?) anywhere in Mexico.

[Edited on 3-4-2004 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 3-5-2004 at 09:53 AM

Barney you won't need one in gonzaga.
Here is a pic of me and a couple of friends last sunday.

Barney
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2004 at 03:56 PM

Me, No, Nice looking couple. Was this taken at the hotel in Gonzaga? How is the road from SF. to Gozaga? Thanks. Barney
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 3-6-2004 at 08:00 AM

Peace of mind is worth 20.00. We should make it that easy for the mexican people to get one here. And dont forget to get it 180 days :yes:
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2004 at 09:41 AM

definitely worth getting it for peace of mind.nothing worse than having thoughts of what if? in back of your mind during a trip-definitely a fun killer...
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2004 at 10:41 AM

Barney,
Technically, yes, you are supposed to have one to go south of San Felipe or if you're staying longer than 72 hrs, but the fact of the matter is the folks at Migraci?n in SF have told me on more than one occasion that weekend visitors to our place at Pta Bufeo don't need them. Invariably, we have them (visitors) obtain them anyway...just in case. It's cheap "assurance".

On another note:
Me No, that's a good photo of Tonio and Irma.
Why didn't you swing by Punta B w/DB and WB? You missed a good laugh.
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 3-7-2004 at 11:52 AM
the road

Hola ,I drove that road 2 weeks ago,it was the best it has been in years...at the checkpoint just north of Papas, I was asked to show my permit after the guard asking where i was coming from(GN)...enjoy

I hear the whales song

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.