Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bruce Willis in Baja
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-10-2007 at 05:14 PM
Bruce Willis in Baja

from Mi Baja No Hurry No Worry

Halloween Eve! That was the night our dreams were tarnished forever. It would prove to be the last time that the doors to our Casita were to remain unlocked. I had gone for a walk through the camp at dusk as I always did, particularly, after being absent from camp for a while. But lets listen to my wife, Lu Ann, as she told her story to the State Police in Ensenada on the following morning.

“A guy in a ski mask came to the front door, he just walked in. We never locked our doors. I asked him if this was some kind of joke. I didn’t even see the gun until he shoved it right in my face. He told me to shut up or he would kill me! He looked just like Bruce Willis, the actor. I asked him if he was the guy who stole our TV last week. He got really peeed and started waving his gun around. I shut up! He wanted to know where my purse was and I told him I left it in our truck because of the theft of the TV. I told him I didn’t have the key to the truck and that my husband had it.” The cops then asked her for a complete description of the bandito. “He looked just like the movie star Bruce Willis.” None of us guys knew who Willis was at that time. She then told them, “he took my ring off and held it up to the light, like a jeweler would. I told him it was a fake. He just smiled and put it in his pocket.

He again asked when my husband would be home. I told him that I didn’t know. He got very nervous and threatened to kill me. He kept telling me that he knew that I had more money than what he had found in my purse—He knew I had more! I argued that my husband carried all of our money. He got real mad and told me that he would kill me if I didn’t give him the money—I got real scared when he forced me into the bedroom. You’re not going to hurt me are you? I thought he was going to rape me! He said that if I didn’t give him the money before my husband got back that he would blow my brains out! AND that he would kill Bernie too. I pulled out my purse, removed the $500.00 and gave it to him. He left and I just, sort of, melted into the couch.”

When I returned from my walk I notice a car with no license plates, parked under a tree just south of our house. I didn’t really pay a lot of attention until I entered our courtyard and noticed that the blinds on the kitchen window were pulled down. For some reason I didn’t just walk in. I peered through the louvers and saw a hand holding a revolver and it was pointed directly at my wife. Being a working “Cop” I suddenly felt very naked because I had no weapon—remember it is against the law in Mexico (as many want it to be in the States) to carry a pistol. Suddenly, my blood began to boil! This guy had violated my house AND he was threatening my wife. I realized that I could not just barge in without putting my wife at further risk of injury.

I ran to my truck and got my combat knife. I was returning when he suddenly burst out onto the patio. He ran south through the yard next door. I was over the six-foot wall, on the north, in a second—now it would take me a week. I ran around our garage toward where I had seen the car earlier. As I rounded the corner the car burned rubber as it backed out in a cloud of dust. It struck me in the leg as it sped off. I noticed that there were “two” guys in the car. One of them I recognized as an American ex con who lived somewhere on the east side of the toll road.

The entire camp poured out into the street when they found out what had happened to LuAnn. They mobilized and made a complete search for the banditos. Even Cayo and Jack who had not talked to each other for years were in the same truck looking for the bad guys.

The next morning we gave the State Cops $20.00 for gas so that they could come out and investigate an “armed robbery.” We waited for two days and they never showed. We both felt doubly used at that point.

I could never prove that the ex con had fingered Lu Ann but when two years later the Mexican cops caught “Bruce Willis,” the ex-con returned to the States and has never again been seen in Baja.

We later found that the guy who robbed LuAnn had killed a man in Florida a few months before. Two weeks after robbing Lu Ann he killed an old guy in La Playa La Mision. That is only about 3 mile north on the beach from our camp.

Even with the ski mask LuAnn was sure that the robber was a gringo. She told him, “You’re not a Mexican, a Mexican would never treat a women the way you have treated me.”

This incident caused several changes in our lives—bars on all the windows and doors. Three security alarms! We now have a password that I use every time I leave the house. “You’re locked babe.”

It was a lousy Halloween!

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2007 at 03:11 AM

I hope you didn't give him any candy! He didn't deserve a single tootsie roll, not even a stale one.

Pretty scary stuff there amigo!

Iflyfish
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2007 at 09:05 AM

great read Bernie keep them comming thanks

jerry and judi
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2007 at 10:57 AM

OMG - What an experience - my regards to your Wife - that she was quite in control of herself and the situation, it probably saved her Life! >f<
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 8-12-2007 at 11:06 AM

Wow, Bernie!
I hope you have found a way to keep those celebrities out of your living room. That must have happened when Bruce was married to Demi Moore. He was just having a bad day. Bruce sure has changed since his days on Moonlighting:lol:

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-12-2007 at 11:13 AM
Lu Ann is always 'quite' in control---of me too!

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2007 at 09:11 AM

A bit late my response, but you know I'm on the Road again -Lol. SO - I find it funny that you admit WHO's in Control in your Life - Bernie -Lmao. ;) Okay am now off to do all the catching up before hitting the road again :)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.