Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: San Ysidro Pedestrian Sentri
rayfornario
Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 8-14-2007 at 10:08 AM
San Ysidro Pedestrian Sentri

I brought this issue up last month but no one had the answer.
I use the pedestrian sentri on my vists to TJ during the week. It is easier and safer then driving. I have noticed that the line has been closed during 3 of my last 4 visits. Typically, they block it with a chair or a cone. The regular line was pretty long but I went to the bus line and passed through easily by showing my card, but not without some ranting and raving of the people in the regular pedestrian line.
I was wondering had anyone else who uses the line had this problem and were they able to get a clear answer from customs as to why this line is frequently closed.
I have heard rumours that they were planning to maybe close this pedestrian sentri line permanently despite the fact that it has been a huge sucess(typical US goverment inefficiancy):?:
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 08:30 AM

It's because it does'nt operate all day, and there is a sign that has the scheduled times, I think the morning is from 5AM to 9AM, do't really know since I usually cross in the afternoon and it's always open from 3 to 7PM.
I've had mine since 2004 when the program started.

[Edited on 8-15-2007 by fdt]

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
rayfornario
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 09:33 AM

I know it doesn't operate all day.The times it has been closed has been between 5m and 7:00pm when it should be open. I:?:f you notice, even the fingerprint reader hasn't been working in months. It almost seems like they are getting ready to close it down! I ask customs what is up with it but no answer.
The program wasa pilot program back in 2004 when we got ours. It works really well and first I heard they were going to expand it to weekends. Now I think they are planning to close it
fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 09:47 AM

It would be too bad if they close it, mine actualy is expired but they say that I can still use it, no need to renew it. I use mine every once in a while, I got it just because at the time I was working in National City, trolley close so I figured it would be cost effective, and it was, till I did'nt have to go to National City. Don't know, maybe if we use it more? Just do a crossing marathon:lol:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rayfornario
I ask customs what is up with it but no answer.

Kinda like talking to the wall, isn't it.
No..Wait a minute. The wall has a better personality.
rayfornario
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 01:15 PM

I think it may require letters to the customs deparrment to keep it open. I was starting to get worried when they didn't renew them and said we could just keep using it. I figured that was a sign that they would discontinue the program.
It's amazing! they do something that actually works and they want to discontinue it to save a salary!!!! Our goverment effiency at work again!!
They try to make it as difficult as possible for mericans returning from Mexico. Has anyone actually seen all the pedestrian lines open at one time???? I think the most I have seen is 6 of them open at once. You say anything negative to them like "why aren't you opening more lines" and they start making life very difficult for you.:no:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 02:12 PM

Yeah.......Never say anything that isn't a direct answer to a question. When you see one of them putting on the rubber gloves, you know you said the wrong thing.
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

thumbdown.gif posted on 8-15-2007 at 02:44 PM
US Customs Jerks

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
I ask customs what is up with it but no answer.

Kinda like talking to the wall, isn't it.
No..Wait a minute. The wall has a better personality.

I have travelled extensively and the worst reception I have ever received has been returning home and dealing with US customs. :fire:

You think a "welcome home" would be in order...but no....they must look for "schmuck" stamped on he heads of people before they are hired. :fire:

But, I'm not bitter, just disgusted, :fire:

-CaboRon

tjvagabundo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 09:03 PM

I've never seen more than 1 other person using the ped sentri in the 20 or so times that I've used it over the last 3 years. They might be shutting down the program from lack of use?
rayfornario
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tjvagabundo
I've never seen more than 1 other person using the ped sentri in the 20 or so times that I've used it over the last 3 years. They might be shutting down the program from lack of use?

Actually, since they gave out all 5000 permits very quickly, it is heavily used, but the system is so efficient that you don't need to stand in line for more then a few seconds! I am suprised the goverment out something together that is efficient! I asked customs yesterday and he said the only time it will back up a little is in the a.m's
I went through last night( along with 4 other people) and talked to the customs inspector in the sentri line and he said that there are only 2 of them for that line and when one of them is gone, all pedestrian traffic is reroted to the bus line...that is why it is closed. Unfortunately, he said, the future is in doubt. They had plans to expand the time you could use it but are now thinking it may be shut down!!!!:mad:
fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 01:55 PM

So how much money was invested in implementing the system, equipment, man hours, etc. to just throw it away?:rolleyes:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
So how much money was invested in implementing the system, equipment, man hours, etc. to just throw it away?:rolleyes:

It's only being wasteful. I'm sure the US policy makers know how to live with that.

[Edited on 8-16-2007 by DENNIS]
rayfornario
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2007 at 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt

I am not sure how much the computer system, biometric reader,etc cost. the man hours are 8 hours a day, 1 customs inspector.
It is pretty frustrating when they actually do something to reduce waiting time and then want to take it away...imagine if it was the vehicle sentri!!!!:mad:
fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2007 at 01:24 PM

Plus the man hours that did the background check on us?

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2007 at 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Plus the man hours that did the background check on us?

Who's us?
fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2007 at 03:20 PM

Us = those of us that have a pedestrian sentri.

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 8-21-2007 at 09:21 AM

Hope they keep the sentri for you guys that cross

regularly ... Three weeks ago I crossed on foot around

one pm on a monday afternoon and the regular line

(which I was in ) was over one and a half hours.

- CaboRon

rayfornario
Nomad

cool.gif posted on 8-22-2007 at 01:31 PM

I can only hope they keep it! It would definetly cut down on my weekday trips to TJ if they close because that line is generally to long to deal with This system was so great that i felt they were only going to expand it as time went on.
I won't drive my car in TJ because it is too crazy there. I only drive when I go further south.
rayfornario
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2007 at 06:58 PM

Last check with custroms when I crossed the Ped. Sentri last night was that there is no new news at to whether or not they are going to continue the program . Evidently when Sentri line is closed for whatever reason, you are suppose to use ped.Bus line. There is no one to tell you to do this, you are just suppose to know(lol)

Even a bad day in Baja is better then a good day somewhere else!
fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2007 at 10:22 PM

Quote:
Evidently when Sentri line is closed for whatever reason, you are suppose to use ped.Bus line. There is no one to tell you to do this, you are just suppose to know(lol)

Who told you? Can I use it during off sentri hours?

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.