BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Help! Name this part that fell off my truck and tell me what it does!
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 11:29 AM
Help! Name this part that fell off my truck and tell me what it does!

Help!

A part fell off my lifted Suburban this morning and I can't figure out what it's called. Without knowing what it is, it's hard to get a new one/figure out what will happen if I keep driving without it...

Can you tell me what it is and how far/hard I can drive without it or with a makeshift replacement that may or may not have the bushings on it?

IMG_4387_web.jpg - 12kB
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 11:30 AM

The previous photo showed where the part came from, here's the part. It's snapped just below the threads.

IMG_4388_web.jpg - 10kB
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 11:46 AM

torsion bar of some sort.:tumble:
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 11:52 AM

Joel You can get the part new in Constitucion at the Chevy Dealer.

Do not take it to Oscar in San Somewhere to weld. My suburban suffered considerably at his hands.

And it is the anti-sway bar link.
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 12:02 PM

Thanks for all the information guys, including the warning on the local welder/butcher. All I can say is, that in Baja it's good to know your way around the underside of a car. But if you don't, it's good to be a Nomad!

Is it okay to drive "normally" (15-20 MPH) on dirt roads for five or ten days before making 30 mile drive on dirt roads (30-40 MPH?) and 75 miles on pavement?

Also wondering if this is an OEM part or would have been replaced with a different size when I had the Surburban lifted 6 inches.

[Edited on 8-15-2007 by joel]
cbuzzetti
Nomad

Mood: Lookin for a vacation

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 02:06 PM

Like Whistler said it should be horizontal when truck is parked on flat ground.
These are usually replaced when lift kit is installed so the exact piece you need may not be available at dealer.
Do not try to install one that is not the same length, it won't work. If you have to use all thread to make a temporary replacement.
Drive carefully on corners, you should notice more body lean when disconnected. Should not have any real affect when off road.

BajaBuzz
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 05:12 PM

AntiSwaybars R 4 Sissies! :spingrin: :lol:

Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
AntiSwaybars R 4 Sissies! :spingrin: :lol:

Kens right ,

If your doing any serious offroading take the rest of it out and throw it away . It'll never break again:)
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 06:19 PM

I take mine off when doing series Off-Roading in my Toyota. The last I did I didn't put it back on until I got home. Coming home and for a week after I couldn't tell the difference on turns etc. Could be from my heavy duty torsion bars. Next time I'll leave it off for a longer time and over different roads.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 06:39 PM

anti-sway bar link.

take the other one off and you will do better off rode. you will only notice a little more lean on high speed turns.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 10:05 PM

Thanks, guys. This has been real helpful.

I did find out the part is OEM and wasn't upgraded as part of the lift, likely the source of the problem.
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 07:54 PM

If your stuck and need to farmer rig something up for temporary use, all thread, with a pipe spacer (or a pile of washers) and thick leather washers inbetween the swaybar and lower control arm mounts does the trick.
(an old pair of work gloves cut up worked for me for the leather washers)
Obviously not a permanent fix but will get you to a dealer or parts shop.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 8-17-2007 at 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajagypsy
If your stuck and need to farmer rig something up for temporary use, all thread, with a pipe spacer (or a pile of washers) and thick leather washers inbetween the swaybar and lower control arm mounts does the trick.
(an old pair of work gloves cut up worked for me for the leather washers)
Obviously not a permanent fix but will get you to a dealer or parts shop.

Point is - a missing ant-sway bar link will not get you stuck.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 8-17-2007 at 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Bajagypsy suggestion on using "all thread"is a good tip for making temporary repairs for a number of things none the less.

I agree, but would add..."very short term temporary"...they are the lowest grade steel and all the threads weaken it more...I use it a lot, but not in vehicle suspensions...again as most have said, sway bars are only for high speed cornering...be careful in mountains and freeways.
"

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 8-17-2007 at 09:37 AM

I think they make disconnect kits for off road use...this may be the time to repair with one of these.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2007 at 11:39 AM

I think Mark Naugle of Loco Mocos did a quick disconnect and had a write up on it I think on the offroad.com web sight.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.