BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Baja Sierras: Chupacabra and Cattle mutilations?
richard nauman
Junior Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 3-5-2004 at 09:46 AM
Ring tailed cat

Hey guys - the animal in David Ks picture is a ring tailed cat (Bassariscus astutus). It is a close relative of the coatamundi. They are both in the same family as racoons (Procyonidae).
Randy - I spent a summer living on a ranch between Todos Santos and Cabo San Lucas and from my observations on how cattle are managed I think the dead cattle you saw died of starvation or other neglect and were subsequently eaten by insects or other small scavengers. I think they accept a fairly high loss of range animals in Baja. Before the August rains came I never saw such skinny cattle in my life. There were many cattle in varying states of distress with injuries, cactus spines in them, one with a sharp stick horizontally through its nose, etc... I think desert life is hard on an animal that is adapted to riparian areas in Asia.

RN

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2004 at 12:25 PM

I saw Sasquatch near Catavi?a once ;D
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 3-5-2004 at 01:14 PM
I drank with a Yeti at La Fonda

...but that is another story, before my last marriage, after mucho Tres Generaciones.

:no::no::no:

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2004 at 02:12 PM
chupa crapa ringtail cat

I remember my first encounter with a ringtail cat. We were camping on a beach on the banks of the colorado river during a 2 weeks boat trip, when one night, strange noises woke me up. I popped my head out of the tent, and a strange creature with 2 glowing eyes were looking straight @ me!! I swear I would've had a heart attack if it wasn't for all the booze we swallowed that night... I zipped the tent closed and decided to deal with that vision in the morning. I asked my group of friends that following morning, only to find out that the monster I saw was a close relative to the raccon called ringtail cat.... I'll never forget those glowing eyes though... :O

[Edited on 3-5-2004 by jide]
jide
Nomad

lol.gif posted on 3-5-2004 at 02:24 PM
shrink visit

I also recall an encounter with some strange tribe in that remote part of the grand canyon. For some strange reasons, my hat wouldn't fit me afterwards....

RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

lol.gif posted on 3-5-2004 at 06:06 PM
jide: I'll have you know...

You are responsible for me pi$$ing my pants with so much laughter. That has to be the BEST ONE in a very long time.

Since I'm in such a happy mood, I think I'm gonna dig myself out and go to the REX HOTEL for a few frosty Kokanees tonight.

RandyMac
jide
Nomad

wink.gif posted on 3-5-2004 at 06:51 PM
chupa crapa

See why the National Enquirer is my biggest client?
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 3-5-2004 at 07:25 PM

You might have seen a Badger.....we've seen them in mid-peninsula....they can get pretty big and they walk funny too, but don't know how big the tail is.

Its an interesting thing, these paranormal/monster stories.....Carl Sagan referred to most of the UFO encounters as "mass hallucinations".......
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2004 at 02:01 PM

Chupacabras are a biogeneticly enginererd vampire bats that were created by "El Hombre" (The Man) to attack and kill tourists in the baja area. The cows are offered by the local population to attract tourists to the chupacabra feeding areas on the road and in remote canyons and to keep the roving packs of bloodthirsty chupacabras away from heavily populated areas. In the day they all retreat under taco stands which are the secret entrances to and underground network of tunnels that connect the entire baja to El hombres lab.

Chupacabras can be sighted by waiting by tacos stands at dusk and drinking a 12 pack of pacifico.:o

This year I have only heard of 15 babies being snached out of the arms of their mothers, down from last year.....;D

By the way Im selling a bridge down here if anybody is interested...

GTB
http://www.gonetobaja.com

For real, the scary thing is sunburn....
The Gull
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2004 at 02:31 PM
Bridge

Where is the bridge?

Is it a strong bridge?

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
jide
Nomad

eureka.gif posted on 3-6-2004 at 05:37 PM
chupa CRAPA

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Chupacabras (goat suckers) are a Mexican myth (?)... Tim Walker saw one (?) run across Laguna Salada. Go to timsbaja.com, it's in one of his original trip reports (Guadalupe Canyon). If you do a search you will see a lot on chupacabras, including photos! I will dig some up after my appoinments today...

[Edited on 3-4-2004 by David K]

Hey,
I think what Tim saw was a desert hog:

http://www.desertusa.com/magnov97/nov_pap/du_collpecc.html

Tim
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2004 at 06:52 PM
What was it?

Quote:

David K. wrote:
Chupacabras (goat suckers) are a Mexican myth (?)... Tim Walker saw one (?) run across Laguna Salada. Go to timsbaja.com, it's in one of his original trip reports (Guadalupe Canyon).

I'm really not sure what it was that we saw, but I'm more than willing to bet it was a dog of some sort. It definitely wasn't a coyote, because it was too fat. But it still looked a lot like a very husky dog.

Now, the questions I have to ask is, what the heck was a dog doing way out in the middle of the desert? And where did it disappear to? Unfortunately, I'll never know the truth.

But I do know one thing -- it was NOT a chupacabra!

It\'s better down there!

www.timsbaja.com
RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 3-7-2004 at 08:05 PM
dogs in the desert? Ferral dogs all over Baja.

Tim. While camped at kilometer 67 Los Cerritos I had a ferral dog come by my camp at night. I checked with a number of people a few kilometers up and down the beach to see if it was their dog but everyone said it was wild and lived in the arroyo off in the distance.

This dog was so-so skinny. It was obviously very hungry and would drop by my camp at night to see if it could find any food. At first I started feeding her my left overs, and then some tins of tuna from my rig. The female dog was an off white and all ears. I would watch her perk her ears up and listen, then bound around in the scrub bush chasing and catching small rodents and lizards. It's probably what she ate before I showed up to feed her and give her fresh water.

One day an older gentleman pulled in and camped beside my rig in his small motorhome. He asked me about the ferral dog and I told him it was harmless and lived in the arroyo. We named her Mama. One day we went into Todos and bought a big bag of dog food and fed this female dog for a few weeks to fatten her up. Finally she became used to us and would come closer to us. One day she seemed to want to lead us somewhere, so we followed her back to the arroyo. We sensed that she had something important to show us, but couldn't find her den.

Within a week, she brought 3 beautiful puppies one by one thoughout the day back from the arroya and placed them into a large bush between our rigs at camp. We were curious, but she wouldn't let us get near them for another week. I have all of this on digital video. Finally she trusted us with her new family, and we were able to see the puppies. Beautiful dogs. Three fat little playful puppies, but mama had taught them to run into the bush when we came to close.

We finally found a person that worked in Todos Santos for the winter (bookstore) and she helped us to get shots for the dogs and then took time to find adoptive families from San Fransisco area for all the puppies including the mother. This was my first and most incredible experience with a ferral dog and puppies. Her instincts told her that she needed to feed her puppies more than just rodents, and that required trusting humans.

From what I have heard, these puppies and the mother ferral dog have made the most trusting of a human's best friends that anyone could ask for. I plan to edit the video over the next few weeks and will post some photos here.

I have been told there are many wild dogs in the Baja, but most are fairly skinny from lack of proper food nutrients. If your creature was fat, I'm sure it was some other animals besides a ferral dog.

RandyMac

Tim
Junior Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 3-7-2004 at 09:19 PM
Great story

Beautiful story, RandyMac. Thanks for sharing.

I may sound a little naive, but what is the difference between a ferral dog and a regular dog? I guess I could just look on the Internet, but I'm lazy right now. It's Sunday!

The creature I saw was husky and, if I can recall correctly, was a bit hairy, too. Almost like a bear. Didn't walk like one, though -- pranced just like a dog.

It\'s better down there!

www.timsbaja.com
Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 12:40 AM
Chupacabras

You know that at Fox Studios you can actually take a picture with one (sort of)...

Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 01:17 AM
Feral Dogs

Tim,

a feral animal is a normally tame creature that has become wild again. Baja is full of them.

One comment that I heard maybe just a little too often when traveling with JR in some of the remote villages and Fish camps about his dogs was:

Estan muy gordas para las carnitas!

When you hear a joke like that once or twice, you just laugh and think it silly. When you hear it 3 or 4 times, it makes you say, Hmmm!

Here's Andi(sp) and Big:

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 11:33 AM

Randymac, in my Freshman English class we had to read library books at 4 points apiece, and I piled up over a hundred points--almost all of it in dog books by Jack London, Albert Payson Terhune and James Oliver Curwood. That dog story of yours is the best one I've ever read since (and that was over half a century ago). A great read!

bajalera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 12:51 PM

Tim, I think you may have seen a badger as someone else suggested. I've seen some pretty big badgers in Baja. As I recall their tail is small if they have one at all. They can be big and husky looking animals.
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 07:31 PM

As you can see by the picture the poor girl is about to be eaten by a clearly rabid and bloodthirsty Chupacapra or Chupascabrisas Locas Cabasus as noted in my harvard biology book. By the way Gull, The bridge I am selling is very strong and goes from San Felipe to La Paz. It was built by the mexican army to move dairy cows by railroad into La Paz quickly in case of a milk shortage. It is solid brass and plastic and is the color blue so its very hard to see from shore. I am taking deposits......

GTB

Im going to have trouble sleeping on the beach this weekend after seeing that poor little blonde girl geting eaten by that monster Chupacabra.........:O

Nothing a 12er wont fix
The Gull
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 08:18 PM
Old familiar face

That blonde looks alot like the Yeti I drank with at La Fonda...but that's another story!

That bridge has possibilities. Is there an honest PEMEX station on it? Are there Mexican Police patrolling it? Is there a Panaderia and a place to buy Carnitas on it? Is there a llantera? Careful how you answer, the price I am willing to pay is affected by your response.

:yawn::saint::saint:

[Edited on 3-9-2004 by The Gull]

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.