Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Gringos in Mexican towns - Meddlers or mentors
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 07:52 AM

Didn't Zsa Zsa Gabor just post something here? Where did it go?
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 08:35 AM

Zgringo you are way outta line!

I expect to see the recipe for your chocolate banana cream pie in the recipes fourm!!!
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 09:33 AM

meddlers or mentors? when the economic impact is so great...nothing like threads on skilled laborors squatting in Loreto barrios with in town casas at 410k (not picking on any advertiser in specific, there are enough expensive places around, this just so recent)...the influence of mentors is greatly diluted. of course there is the economic mentoring, why complain about Mama Espinoza's charging so much for tacos now?

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 12:09 PM

Excellent points made, rh-- I am continually more puzzled by American logic than by the logic of people from countries with a simpler lifestyle.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
Excellent points made, rh-- I am continually more puzzled by American logic than by the logic of people from countries with a simpler lifestyle.

It's a simple matter of arrogant ignorance. If people moving to a different culture would forget how important they are and do a basic study on the new area, they would be better received, by their new neighbors as well as themselves.
I think we are ALL guilty of that arrogance. How can we bring our wealth, albeit hard earned and understated, into a neighborhood with lesser rewards and, because we smile and donate, expect to be accepted as equal? That barrier is seldom crossed and it probably never will be until we have everything in common. Those who think they have achieved that status are delusional. Hopeful but, delusional.

[Edited on 8-24-2007 by DENNIS]
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 01:30 PM

Dennis

Well said.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Dave
Elite Nomad

rolleyes.gif posted on 8-24-2007 at 03:04 PM
Interesting

Quote:

Logical/illogical thought is not linked to nationality.

Critical thinking is a learned process.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
...How can we bring our wealth, albeit hard earned and understated, into a neighborhood with lesser rewards and, because we smile and donate, expect to be accepted as equal? That barrier is seldom crossed and it probably never will be until we have everything in common. Those who think they have achieved that status are delusional. Hopeful but, delusional.

[Edited on 8-24-2007 by DENNIS]

I don't really have any expectations. Nor do I give or help expecting or demanding something in return. I think some expats and visitors are too self-conscious about their status.

However, I do come from a country founded on certain principals, including equality regardless of economic status. So I am reluctant to abandon those supposedly universal and God-given principals, although I see increasing evidence that the only social divisions that really matter in this age are the Super Rich and Powerful, and the rest of us.

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:

Logical/illogical thought is not linked to nationality.

Critical thinking is a learned process.

Dave, this was a post that didn't well express my sentiment, and you are absolutely right. My thoughts were more about people who strive constantly for things of very arbitrary and materialistic worth, and people who understnd the value of a life lived with less concern for excess and more for a joyful life with community and caring and respect for things less superficial. Country of origin is not the criteria here, but a certain approach to life is. Hmmmm, this is clear as mud, isn't it?

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 08:23 PM

Quote:

Dave, this was a post that didn't well express my sentiment, and you are absolutely right. My thoughts were more about people who strive constantly for things of very arbitrary and materialistic worth, and people who understnd the value of a life lived with less concern for excess and more for a joyful life with community and caring and respect for things less superficial. Country of origin is not the criteria here, but a certain approach to life is. Hmmmm, this is clear as mud, isn't it?

Well, what do you want to be, a capitolist or a Buddhist? I doubt that both are available.
One or the other, take your pick.
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 09:28 PM

Dennis, there are many things a person could be other than a capitalist or a Buddhist. So I don't feel I need to make this choice.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 10:43 PM

I have seen both sides of the coin, living here in Mexico with a decent but low paying job and not having much to worry, to a complex high stress job with really good pay by international standars. The reality is that when i had the low paying job, i wanted to to get a high paying job regardless of the cost to the quality of my life. And after i managed to get the high paying job (and all the attached responsabilities and stresses) i dreamed about living a simple life.

My conclusion. Both lives are flawed for different reasons, and any Mexican or American who claims their life is better, would be wrong.

I have a good friend that works for 8 months a year, and spends the rest not doing absolutely anything besides thinking what flavor of icecream he is going to eat that night. For a long time i tought he was lazy, or crazy, but you know what, this guy is into something smart.

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-25-2007 at 02:30 AM
Jesse

You got it! Wondered when you would chime in.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2007 at 08:03 AM

Zgringo, you said "There (sic) like little children" and I would like you to clarify that for us. I don't know where you're from, don't know much about San Filipe but I can't imagine a Mexican village peopled by tall children. In my little village we have educators, administrators, doctors, town managers many of whom have serious jobs with serious grownup responsibilities. Our fishermen and bait guys have hard, dangerous jobs that they take very seriously -- I would show them great disrespect if I thought of them as children, treated them as such. Your arrogance taints your effort to spread good will. How about the Mexican Nomads? Call them children and see what happens.
Zgringo

Mood: OOH YEH

[*] posted on 8-25-2007 at 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Zgringo, you said "There (sic) like little children" and I would like you to clarify that for us. I don't know where you're from, don't know much about San Filipe but I can't imagine a Mexican village peopled by tall children. In my little village we have educators, administrators, doctors, town managers many of whom have serious jobs with serious grownup responsibilities. Our fishermen and bait guys have hard, dangerous jobs that they take very seriously -- I would show them great disrespect if I thought of them as children, treated them as such. Your arrogance taints your effort to spread good will. How about the Mexican Nomads? Call them children and see what happens.

Wow... You must live in a real village. The people with serious jobs here do things like...There angry at a American developer who employes 1,500 locals cause he won't build a collage for the kids here... so 2 weeks before the 37th annual San Felipe 250 SCORE race cancel the race depriving the community of approx. 20 (twenty) million dollars, and because the serious grownups with the power seeing a large loss of money raised the prices for the "Spring Breakers" causing a large bunch of them to go elsewhere. Now were left with our fishermen and Master Baiters who do indeed have a dangerious job and under paid I must say.
If I'm not mistaken in the Bible it tells us to be as "Little Children" meaning, pure, forgiving and playful. Now if thats being disrespectful then you have a problem. When I said that I ment adults should be more like them, and if you don't think fireworks, partys and the playa are very much part of there life then your in the wrong place.
Our crime rate has jumped because of lack of money for those that have to work but still have to survive, created by the serious adults.
I don't know were you live, but take away a very large amount of the money to provide for the will being and welfare of these people who have very limited things and you've created a much larger problem.

[Edited on 8-25-2007 by Zgringo]

Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end the faster it goes.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2007 at 01:58 PM

I live in a little village which plays host to no races or special events, has no real outside source of revenue. Go throw your bible at those mean-spirited miscreants downtown who ruined things for the town. Then go home, water your fruit trees and chill. You need a hug more then your neighbors IMHO. Mexico is a big, complicated country with modern people and modern problems. My neighbors work hard and play hard and I'll be damned if I'll dishonor them by taking advice from those who think of them as children.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-25-2007 at 02:07 PM

When you start looking down your nose at your neighbors it's time to move.:)
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2007 at 04:02 PM
Home run, Jesse

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
My conclusion. Both lives are flawed for different reasons, and any Mexican or American who claims their life is better, would be wrong.

...... spends the rest not doing absolutely anything besides thinking what flavor of icecream he is going to eat that night. For a long time i tought he was lazy, or crazy, but you know what, this guy is into something smart.

Yeah tell us more about your friend. What's he doing for those 8 months?

:cool:
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 8-25-2007 at 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by Zgringo
As a treet once in awhile I'll take them a chocolet banana cream pie and they think there in heaven.
The new Baja Guru? :D

--Larry

Perhaps a resurrected Soupy Sales could show him how to play with his Chocolate banana cream pie. It would really be a long distance commute though, from Soupy's heaven and the "little childrens'" heaven.

Here......let me try>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPLAT.:O

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-25-2007 at 04:34 PM

The name says it all.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.