Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Gringos in Mexican towns - Meddlers or mentors
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

thumbup.gif posted on 8-21-2007 at 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
" Do unto others as you would do to yourself""!!

Be kind to all and to those with Lessor Goods, Be Chairtible!

Respect others as you Respect yourself.

Try to stop thinking that your way is the Only Way.

Keep your Word.

Skeet/Loreto

Thankyou Skeet for these beautiful thoughts.

This thread has seen many thoughtfull and sensitive
comments.

- CaboRon

The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 8-21-2007 at 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Quote:
Originally posted by The Gull
Don't mentor or meddle.

Exploit, until there is a better pickings elsewhere.

USA will be owned by China by 2012, so move your assets around just ahead of them and you will always be making money, which is the only objective of life. Right?

If someone is offering assistance in language skills, I'll choose English. Gud spakers and riters need aply.

Uhh..........perhaps you'd better exploit CSL lessons! :rolleyes:

Toneart,

That is my message - keep your nose pointed in the direction of your own self interest in the world marketplace. If you do that, you won't have time or interest in meddling or mentoring. To do otherwise turns you into chum.

Timing is a critical element and location is about 50% of that equation.

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2007 at 07:35 AM

Gull, sometimes when you help others you also help yourself. What a concept! Your self-serving advice will get all the attention it deserves here, I'm sure. You're in a zone of your own Podna, we intend to keep asking questions of ourselves and others until we find a clearer path to get along and move along by trying to peacefully (and at times charitably) be more than a fixture in a very amiable country.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2007 at 08:40 AM
Leading by example?

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
..... we intend to keep asking questions of ourselves and others until we find a clearer path to get along and move along by trying to peacefully (and at times charitably) be more than a fixture in a very amiable country.

Nice. A voice of reason.

My view: there is alot to consider when mentoring/meddling. As many here have mentioned, culture is a large part of the picture and non-verbal communication is an important issue. If I were to offer an analogy, it might be how Mexicans are viewed, generally, in California. (I use California, but the comparison could be TX or AZ too.)

Without citizenship, Mexicans aren't really considered Americans. I don't think ''Americans" think much of opinions expressed by non-Americans.

Speaking Spanish well enough to be understood and comprehending what might be taking place is important. Can you imagine a Mexican showing up and protesting a social/political situation and not knowing English?

I'm very much divided on getting involved politically or in any way that might reflect my Norte culture and judgment.

If there is some way to influence an outcome for the positive, it would be doing so without attachment to the outcome. In other words, if a more efficient or better way is offered up, and the offer isn't taken, then, OK. I don't understand this attitude personally, but I accept that that is how some things happen.

Finally, it is one thing to protest or get involved with politics in Baja as a MX Citizen. It is another to have a FM3, or less, and think you have a right to effect any outcome.

How do gringos begin to educate those throwing trash out their car window or leaving trash piles on a beach? Possibly by example -- picking it up -- and that's about it.

:yes:
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 8-21-2007 at 01:20 PM

Lee...right on....

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-21-2007 at 01:31 PM

Lee----------yes, you are right!!! and you say it very well.

RPLedger-----

In answer to your statement attached to all of your posts:

------because "capitol" can be infinitely controlled and managed, but "labor" (reads people) cannot.
The Gull
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2007 at 01:34 PM

Quote:
Gull, sometimes when you help others you also help yourself. What a concept! Your self-serving advice will get all the attention it deserves here, I'm sure. You're in a zone of your own Podna, we intend to keep asking questions of ourselves and others until we find a clearer path to get along and move along by trying to peacefully (and at times charitably) be more than a fixture in a very amiable country.

It is self-preserving advice, not as much self serving advice.

Let's examine one "developing" neighborhood in an attempt to find the true and righteous path...

The Donald lends his name to a condo stack project directly across from the TJ sewage treatment plant and a large dumpsite where more than occasional runoff traverses the property (of course adding beauty and serenity). Does The Donald put any money at risk along with his ugly mug on the billboard? NO!

The developer is the usual nefarious "groupo nondescript" that is going to put four 25 story retiring gringo ocean front condo stacks on about 10 acres. He removes the brush, moves some dirt, puts up the sign and one week later he declares over 100% of the first phase sold. In a year, nothing changes on the site except the survey sticks have disappeared (likely used for firewood).

In an attempt to stimulate something, the developer gets The Donald's daughter to various events and on TV/radio spouting that she has bought one of the condos. No doubt there are people who trust in The Donald's daughter judgement, so I might be a little skeptical of the whole story as it has unfolded to date.

Basing on the normal process for construction in Baja, virtually every Nomad who has spent any time in Baja can estimate how long it will take to build the first of four towers even if it has taken a year to do nothing.

I'm sure that your perspective is yours and not mine. I doubt whether foreigners will continue to acquire places to live in Baja when this kind of situation is a growing reality. Then you can ask the question, meddle or mentor.

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2007 at 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capt. George
Osprey

I live in a small pueblo, and Deborah and I are very much a part of the community. We will never assimilate into their culture, nor should we, nor do we want to. However we do live here and we do contribute to the community (not necessarily monetarily) although we do, just by living here, which I believe gives us some rights to our future here.

I am content to be accepted in this little pueblo and also have "some" of my views taken seriously. But alas, I am not a Mexican, nor do I want to be , so that's ok by me. Baja will change regardless of our views or concerns, but I think, as residents, we should voice our concerns to our Mexicano neighbors here in Baja. They can keep what they want and toss out the rest...Their choice,

cap'n g

We really like what you wrote. :yes::yes::yes:

John and Diane

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2007 at 05:33 PM

Gull, I'll see your "The Donald" story and raise you one "Robert A" story -- he just donated $1,000,000 dollars to our town for a hospital. I think that "trumps" whatever weak argument you were trying to make. We were asking questions about small town involvement -- we don't need your worldwide statistical analysis from Le Monde.
The Gull
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2007 at 05:46 PM

Quote:
Gull, I'll see your "The Donald" story and raise you one "Robert A" story -- he just donated $1,000,000 dollars to our town for a hospital. I think that "trumps" whatever weak argument you were trying to make. We were asking questions about small town involvement -- we don't need your worldwide statistical analysis from Le Monde.

So, since your mind is made up as to the only possible answer to what you were passing off in the very first post as a question, why bother providing you a response? Isn't that your real point Ubermeister Osprey? You might try to be less obvious when posting a shill for your own views.

You term my story as weak, so I guess you are the king of this string. I will leave you to reign over your small world.

Who is "we" by the way? I often wonder about the royal "we" when it is used.

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2007 at 05:54 PM

Biff, Boff, Bamm, the gull tries to steal the round like any good lightweight. Won't work. The "we" is us, not me. I'm not the king, you're not the court adviser. Kick back Podna, try to add some once in a while.
The Gull
Super Nomad

lol.gif posted on 8-23-2007 at 06:39 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 07:27 AM

for us simpletons again:spingrin:

quote "Kick back Podna"

Once upon a time… two birds,
Podna and Podni, lived happily in the forest.

Their lives are disrupted by Raja
He hears Podni’s beautiful singing.

Raja insists that she be kept at his palace so that he can always enjoy her songs.
While Podna is away gathering food, Podni is captured

After helping a nearby kitten, Podna returns to the nest to discover what has happened to his beloved Podni.

Saddened...he is comforted by the Tree that holds their nest.
The tree offers help by providing Podna with a potion hidden deep in the tree’s trunk.

The potion grants magical powers to whoever drinks it.

Podna consumes the potion and uses his powers to bring
along some unlikely allies on his quest to rescue Podni…
a cat, an ant and a stream.

Meanwhile, at the palace, Podni is too sad to sing for Raja.

Locked up in a cage, she tells him that she can only sing for her friends.

When Podna arrives at the palace, he asks the Raja to free Podni.
Raja rejects this plea and places Podna in a series of dire predicaments

With the help of his allies he overcomes and frees Podni.

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 07:28 AM

so does "ponda = birdbrain"???:lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Zgringo

Mood: OOH YEH

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 09:36 PM

Being I'm the stranger in a country other than my home country and have been here for 10 years and have been coming here for over 50 years I have learned a few things, but not all.
I don't care how bad your Spanglish is they like to see you trying. Don't get involved in anything government. Thats a quick way to get deported. Don't say anything bad about them as I promise it will get back to them and they can have you deported for slander. Seen it happen.
Be a good example and let them accept what they want and let it be.
Their life is so much different than ours. They struggle day to day just to eat, while we struggle day to day to pay off our homes and save enough to retire. Most of them, retirement only comes with death.
There like little children. They like parties, fireworks and going to the playa.
I've been trying to be a axample by removing my shade trees and replacing them with fruit trees and planting a garden. Now I see my Mexican friends asking how to plant a garden as they like the things coming from my garden. I grow much more than I need. My fruit trees are small but they still see a small amount of fruit and know someday will produce plenty. Offer rides to the store and to get drinking water.
As a treet once in awhile I'll take them a chocolet banana cream pie and they think there in heaven.
Just be a good friend and don't be nosie. If they accept you and tell you great but mind your own business and don't try and reinvent the wheel. There wheel is shaped different than ours.

Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end the faster it goes.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 10:35 PM

Cool. San Felipe, that's near Los Angeles, right?
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 10:48 PM

"don't try and reinvent the wheel. There wheel is shaped different than ours."

I like that!

Iflyfish
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 11:01 PM
And...

Quote:
Originally posted by Zgringo

There like little children. They like parties, fireworks and going to the playa.

As a treet once in awhile I'll take them a chocolet banana cream pie and they think there in heaven.

There's a certain secret spot on their bellies. If you scratch it one of their little feet will do a special dance. It's soooo cute. :rolleyes:

Zgringo

Mood: OOH YEH

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Cool. San Felipe, that's near Los Angeles, right?

Not really.... Novasabrisk is the next town to the east

Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end the faster it goes.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by Zgringo

There's a certain secret spot on their bellies. If you scratch it one of their little feet will do a special dance. It's soooo cute. :rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yes and I've seen them crawl on their bellies like reptiles.
Geico?:biggrin:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.