BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: To avoid ending up like Dawn Wilson...
Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2004 at 01:24 PM
To avoid ending up like Dawn Wilson...

I'd like to know if anyone can briefly sum up what the law is regarding the purchase and possession of prescription medication in Mexico? I think that such an exchange of information would be more constructive than debating whether or not we like the law.

I had so much fun on my last Baja trip that I suffered a heart attack within days of my return. (OK so Baja really didn't have anything to do with the heart attack. If anything, it probably delayed it.) Now, I have these meds that I'm supposed to take to stay alive but, of course, my medical insurance will not cover them because it would be cheaper for them if I was dead. They cost hundreds of dollars per bottle here and I know they've gotta be cheaper eslewhere.

I live close enough to the border to buy them one bottle at a time if necessary. I just want to make sure that I comply with all local laws. Like Grover, FronkO, Me No and others have suggested in another thread, I'll do whatever it takes to try and stay legal (or to make it "right" again if I cross the line.) But I'd really like to avoid having to resort to situations like this to get back home!!!

[Edited on 3-5-2004 by Herb]

[Edited on 3-5-2004 by Herb]
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2004 at 03:13 PM

herb, what we usually do is put them in a friend's luggage without their knowledge then have them walk across the border. If they make it we pick them up and away we go. If they don't them we have to get new friends. :lol:

http://phoenix.about.com/cs/health/a/mexicodrugs.htm

http://www.rversonline.org/ArtMexDrugs.html

http://www.cbs10kztv.com/news/headlines/515687.html

http://www.kaet.asu.edu/horizon/rx/mexico.html

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2004 at 03:14 PM

From the State Dept., Bur of Consumer Affairs, Consular Info sheet:
"DRUG PENALTIES AND PRESCRIPTION MEDICATIONS: Penalties for drug offenses are strict, and convicted offenders can expect large fines and jail sentences up to 25 years. As in the United States , the purchase of controlled medication requires a doctor's prescription. The Mexican list of controlled medication differs from that of the United States , and Mexican public health laws concerning controlled medication are unclear and often enforced selectively.

The U.S. Embassy recommends that U.S. citizens not travel to Mexico for the sole purpose of buying prescription drugs. U.S. citizens have been arrested and their medicines confiscated by the Mexican authorities, even though their prescriptions were written by a physician and filled by a licensed Mexican pharmacist. There have been cases of Americans buying prescription drugs in border cities only to be arrested soon after or have money extorted by criminals impersonating police officers. In addition, U.S. law enforcement officials believe that the amount of counterfeit and substandard medications in Mexico could be as high as 25 percent and such medications may have collateral effects and reactions that could endanger your health. The importation of prescription drugs into the United States can be illegal in certain circumstances. U.S. law generally permits persons to enter the United States with only an immediate (about one-month's) supply of a prescription medication. Further information on bringing prescription drugs into the United States is available from the U.S. Customs Service at http://www.customs.ustreas.gov.

The U.S. Embassy cautions that possession of any amount of prescription medicine brought from the United States , including medications to treat HIV and psychotropic drugs such as Valium, can result in arrest if Mexican authorities suspect abuse or if the quantity of the prescription medicine exceeds the amount required for several days' use. Individuals should consider carrying a copy of the prescription and a doctor's letter explaining that the quantity of medication is appropriate for their personal medical use. U.S. citizens who plan to go to Mexico to purchase medication or who may be in possession of medication prescribed in the United States should check with the nearest Mexican consulate before traveling to Mexico."

The most important thing about the foregoing is: "Mexican public health laws concerning controlled medication are unclear and often enforced selectively."
Nikon
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2004 at 06:56 PM
Herb, I gotta give you the bad news

Looks like you'll have to move to Baja permanently! I don't think the Mejicanos nor Los Norteamericanos want to pay your room and board for 25 years, much as you'd love to be assured you'd live that long.
Brian Hadcock

[*] posted on 3-5-2004 at 07:59 PM

Herb,
Have you ever thought about buying your meds on the inter net from Canada? I know your Federal Government doesn't like it, but there are many states now purchasing their employees medication from Canada. Maybe you should give it a look see. At least you won't have to go to jail to stay healthy. Plus your dollar is worth more.

Remember life is a test! There will be questions.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2004 at 08:01 PM
Herb

I live near Seattle and there are tour busses that take people up to Canada to get their meds. (I'm told the cost is approx. 1/3 of US prices.)

Maybe this will help, I've see alot of ads for an online drug store on TV here lately.

"canadiandrugstore.com"

They also have a toll-free number

1-888-773-2698

I don't have a need for regular meds. so I don't really know how all this works, but, maybe it might be safer to try this route.

Give them a call, can't hurt... maybe you won't have to worry about Mexicos un-clear laws...
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2004 at 10:56 PM
To not wind up like Dawn Wilson

Don't be an American female walking alone alongside the highway outside of Ensenada.....Sorry to hear about your heart attack. That's gotta be pretty scarey even if it was a mild one.

Like the Canada bound groups, there are busses that carry Americans across the border for drug purchases. I'm sure there's plenty of safety in numbers, but the likelihood of you getting acosted is almost nil to begin with. Cross border drug purchases are very big business they can't afford to lose by pulling this crap on too many people. -Stephanie

When the goin' gets tough, the wierd turn pro
Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2004 at 12:11 AM
Thanks to all...

for the replies and the kind words, and thanks especially to Mateo for those informative links and your funny intro.

I'm still not quite certain if it is Mexican law that is so unclear or if it is just that most Americans that are unclear about the Mexican laws. In any event, I've actually read about more incidents of bad things from on-line drug purchases lately than Mexico drug purchases, so I think I'll take my chances south of the border. At least I'll be dealing with them face to face.

I just wanted to know if anyone had any factual information what is or is not legal. While I do not dispute the lack of scruples involved in those who "busted" Dawn Wilson, it does seem pretty clear that she was guilty of a crime (whether normally enforced or not) and this left her particularly susceptible to being victimized. I once had a US Embassy official in Mexico City tell me that if an American was facing drug related charges in Mexico and there was any likelihood that the charges were true, the US government would run (not walk) away from trying to help you.

I guess maybe I should keep the dress from the above picture (yes that's me in red!) just in case I end up having to become some Federal Agent's "girlfriend" to get back home. :o

By the way, technology can be a scary thing. Both of the Google ads on my current banner are for buying prescription meds online. Coincidence!? Maybe? Hmmm!
FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2004 at 12:21 AM

I have to carry some medication for my allergies and I have been told by certain Mexican authorities that I should always have the scrip from the doctor/pharmacy w/me at all times.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 3-6-2004 at 08:07 AM

No kinding GROVER !!! Man every chance to get in your pockets!!! Pay Pay Pay Die! Sheeesssh The insurance companys sure know a good bet when they see one!
Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2004 at 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by grover
As an aside, am I being unpatriotic for suggesting that our medical system is one big, near criminal for profit-only enterprise?

The answer IS NOT more insurance...it's starving the beast. Move abroad.

First of all, the word unpatriotic is not in my vocabulary. I am, after all, friends with JR.:tumble:

I have mixed feelings about our "greedy" system, though. After all, greed is a fantastic motivator and that is what drives pharmaceutical companies to work so hard on developing some of these drugs. They know what kinds of massive dolllars can be made during the first year of no competition in the US so that drives them to spend massive dollars to develop the drugs. That much is a good thing.

Those higher US prices in the past have been based on a system where most US patients are insured so it apppears to be the insurance companies bearing most of the brunt, but of course we know that the cost eventually trickles down to the "little guy" in the form of less coverage that you have to pay more to get.

What seems most sinister to me, however is the thought that one of my non-covered medicines is far less expensive than some of those that are. This medicine, though, has been proven to decrease the death rate in patients with heart disease by more than 50%! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that overal treatment for longer living diseased patients would cost the insurance company far more money than any single medicine. That is not exactly a desired outcome for them, is it? The benefit of a free enterprise system becomes of questionable value when it is not in the best interests of that system to preserve life...
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2004 at 11:10 PM

A few weeks ago I saw a program (60mins./PrimeTime...one of them, sorry I don't remember which for sure) and they talked about buying meds. off-shore....India and Mexico were the main ones I remember in the piece, it was reported (don't kill the messenger here, just passing on what was said) that when tested several of the meds. they were not what they were supposed to be or of lesser dosage that they claimed to be. In the piece it was reported that the drugs in Canada were found to be ones manufactured in the USA. I have really good health ins., which includes meds. ($10 per script, no matter what the "real" cost) but, if I didn't I would go to Canada myself. I had a rude awakening when I broke my back in Punta Cabras 2 1/2 yrs. ago (long story short, after I spent 8 1/2 hrs. in the emergency room and they finally did the X-Rays and realized I really had broken my back and wasn't just 'drug seeking' the pharmacy that my ins. company dealt with was closed and I had to buy meds without my ins. (once I made it back to San Diego) I've had the same ins. for 20 yrs. so I'm not used to paying the 'real price'. :o
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2004 at 02:23 AM
Your Story

Debra: Please share with us your story!; It might be that someone would learn from the details!
Skeet/Loreto

"In God We Trust"
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2004 at 05:40 PM

Which part are you wanting to know more about Skeet?
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2004 at 06:07 PM
Good analysis, Herb.

"The benefit of a free enterprise system becomes of questionable value when it is not in the best interests of that system to preserve life..."

Stephanie: And therein lies the rub.

When the goin' gets tough, the wierd turn pro
Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 12:55 AM
Don't worry, Debra,

I won't kill the messenger. I've seen a lot of negative reports lately as well, but most of them have centered around buying online from all countries including the US and Canada. Since I live 100 miles from the Mexican border and 1,000 miles from the Canadian border I figured I'd take my chances with my southern neighbors face to face. Also, I know enough people who live on both sides of the border to get reccomendations on reputable places to purchase. It just seems that not many folks are very knowledgeable about the laws surrounding such purchases.

As for having "good" insurance, don't be so certain. My wife and I have double coverage through the same provider and I normally pay nothing for medication. Just within the last 2 years or so, they have abruptly decided to start not covering certain medications at all, not even a co-pay. Most insurance carriers are following suit. I know that there is a medicine that people with kidney faliure need to stay alive that almost no insurance companies cover any more. I believe this trend will only continue to get worse. I, too, thought that with my "superb" coverage I would never have to face this issue...
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 10:45 PM

Simply get a prescription from a REAL doctor in Mexico and you will never find yourself in any trouble, if you come down here and ask the Farmacia clerk to hook you up with a prescription, then you are asking for it, because how in the world are you going to trust you have a valid prescription if you are illegaly getting one?

It seems to me that the main problem here is that some americans fail to understand that offering 20 bucks to the farmacia attendant to get you a "prescription" that may or not be legitimate is wrong, some of you are TOO TRUSTING and are not used to dealing in the Mexican wrong side of the law. If you do things right you have nothing to worry about, go to a well known doctor and if he feels you do indeed need the medication, the he will give you a valid prescription. If you try to do it the Mexican way without knowing, your setting yourself up for a major disaster.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2004 at 07:33 AM
Good advice JESSE

Too many people assume that if you can get it from the Pharmacy (without prescription) than it is okay (as in the states)
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 03:09 PM
Funny Herb

My new place is full of medicinal plants that you would probably be interested in. But here, you will get so healthy you probably won't need them.
And for the rest, please tell me again why america is such a great country if yall have to get medications from a foreign country and spend most of your vacations in Mexico as well.
I am so confused by all this. And right when I was thinking I would become a patriot again. Darn.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 09:53 PM

Just remember that the Farmacias are just interested in your money, not your health, it is vastly diferent from the U.S.

If you want medical advice, go to a doctor.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.