Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: SPMartir trip report
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 07:50 PM
SPMartir trip report

SPmartir is located 218 miles from San Diego.this trip started just with two cars,like always me and my friend plan this quick trip in the weekend of the 08-25.I was suppose to pick him up in La mision,to my surprise when I arrive, there where four cars instade of one, waiting for me.the more the better I said,we left la Mision around 4:20am,arriving in San Vicente for breakfast around 7:00am.WE had some birria and then off again towards SPM.Arriving at San Telmo de Abajo around 8:20am,and then east for 46 miles to SPM.This road is a scenery one,alot rolling hills,alot farming,just a great view.You notice right away that you are starting to climb up,I mean uppppp.The weather in this lower side was around 99 degres up in the canyon,around 79 degres with some rain on abd off.The pavement goes all the way up to the park entrance and stops and then is some road work ahead and then pavement again,then some more dirt road all the way to the park office.Dirt from office all the way to the foot of the observatory,,then from there pavement all the way to the top to where the observatory is located,I do not understand why is pave in some places and some places are just dirt, but you can see they are working on the rest off the road.We got to the office and sign up i paid $20 for my famly for camping fees for one whole day.Firt on the list was a visist to the observatory,that opens for tours at 10:00 am.just a quick drive to their office ask for the Director an d H e will open the gates and happy will show you and explain to you all that is related to this place.He show us inside and outside of the Telescope,yes the outside, to.the telescope has a hand rail that goes around it, if you suffer fron vertigo don't do it, I did and I was like spiderman, one hand on the rail the other one in the wall,man I was scare..Done with the tour we drove back to the assing area for camping,you see the SPM park is huge but camping is restrict it to a area close to the main entrance, the rest of the park is off limits no camping,you can hike but thats about it.Didn't see no condors or Borregos just different kinds of birds.The next it was allready plan,we where suppose to set up to hike up to reach the Mirador (El altar),on a clear day they say you can see the Cortez and the Pacific from there.We start climbing around 8:00am and reach the top at 9:50am wow that was a steep climb.The views from this place are just incredible,but no luck for us it was an overcast day so no Cortez or Pacific,but never the less it was just incredible anyways,to come down only took us 45 minutes,but whe where tire,time for a good breakfast this will be Sunday the 26.We lace around campsite talking about our experience, and planning our next Baja trip.We left the park around 12:30, around the Erendira arera it was 104 degres muy caliente. got to the border around 8:00pm(we stop in Tj to visit my wifes family).did a Hour and a half to go across,but afther the trip the wait didn't botter me.So thats all folks I hope you enjoy the pictures that follow this small and undetail report ( you see Im no David K, when in comes time to do a trip report).Until the next one byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeBAJACATTTTTTTTTTT

DSC01906.JPG - 48kB

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 07:51 PM

This was the spot for a visita for the SPmartir mission,now ios and old chapel there

DSC01908.JPG - 48kB

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 07:53 PM

The road from San Telmo to SPM is a very nice but step one too..

DSC01916.JPG - 48kB

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 07:54 PM

GREAT VIEWS ALL THE WAY UPPPP

DSC01915.JPG - 49kB

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 07:55 PM

THE ROAD SCENERY CHANGES WHEN YOU ARE GETTING CLOSE TO THE PARK ENTRANCE

[Edited on 8-30-2007 by BAJACAT]

[Edited on 8-30-2007 by BAJACAT]

DSC01920.JPG - 43kB

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 07:56 PM

MAIN ENTRANCE SIGN

DSC01925.JPG - 50kB

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 07:58 PM

PARK OFFICE

DSC01926.JPG - 49kB

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 07:59 PM

ROAD TO THE OBSERVATORY

DSC01942.JPG - 48kB

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 08:02 PM

THE OBSERVATORY

Observatorio.JPG - 50kB

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 08:04 PM

INSIDE THE OBSERVATORY

DSC01948.JPG - 47kB

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 08:05 PM

OUTSIDE

DSC01952.JPG - 50kB

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 08:06 PM

ANOTHER OUTSIDE PIC.

DSC01953.JPG - 49kB

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 08:08 PM
CHECK PART 2 FOR MORE PICTURES

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.