Author: Subject: Meatloaf Baja Style with Pasilla Chiles
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 09:16 PM
Meatloaf Baja Style with Pasilla Chiles

3 lbs. of ground beef (not lean) or mixed ground beef and ground pork
2 eggs, lightly beaten
12 Chiles Pasilla (dried Chilacas), approximately 4 oz. (Note, Chiles Pasilla are not very hot, they contribute a mellow, spicy flavor, with smoky undertones.)
1 whole head of garlic - separate the cloves
¼ teaspoon good quality curry powder (cumin 1st ingredient)
½ teaspoon Mexican Oregano
!/2 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 ½ cups of roughly-cubed, day-old coarse, hearty white bread (the Mexican bakery version of croissants are good)
8 oz. of Crema (Mexican crème fraiche), thinned with water to a milk-like consistency
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
2 tablespoon of brown sugar

Optional: I like to add veggies to the loaf, i.e., grated carrots and finely chopped celery, spinach or, especially, Mexican greens like acelga or verdolagas..

The chile puree:
Open up the chiles and remove the stems, seeds and ribs.
Heat a non-greased (preferably iron) skillet to medium and toast the chiles briefly on both sides in small batches – do not overcook, it will make them bitter. The skin side should change color a little, with some medium brown spots, the inside will not change. Use your nose as a guide. Then put the toasted chiles into a bowl of warm water with another bowl on top to submerge them so they can rehydrate for at least thirty minutes.

Put the garlic cloves (with paper skin still on) in the skillet and toast until soft. Rotate and keep a close eye, you will see some blackened spots. Remove, let cool and remove the skin

Pour off the chile liquid, reserving about one cup. Place the drained chiles and garlic and (ground) spices in a food processor and add a little of the reserved soaking liquid. Pulse and scrape down the sides of the processor. Add more liquid as needed; what you want is a thick paste, similar to tomato paste. This paste will last a week in refrigeration and can be frozen, too.

Putting it all together:
Put the bread crumbs in a large mixing bowl and pour in the crema, toss and let soak for a short time. Add the chopped vegetables and mix thoroughly. Add the chile paste, reserving ¼ cup for a glaze, and mix. Add the ground meat, the eggs, the soaked bread crumbs and combine gently.

Place in baking pan –press to the edges or form a free-standing loaf for crispy edges.

Put in a preheated 350 degree oven, cook for 50 minutes (rotating at 25 minutes).

Combine the reserved chile sauce with ¼ cup brown sugar and, after the fifty minutes, brush the glaze on the top of the loaf, return to oven and cook until a thermometer registers 160 degrees.

Remove and let cool for ten to fifteen minutes and serve. Enjoy!

[Edited on 8-30-2007 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 12-12-2007 at 10:26 AM

Gypsy Jan--we made this last night--really great flavor with the chiles! My wife liked the addition of the Crema but I may try it without it next round just to experiment. Thanks for the great recipe!
Fred
Senior Nomad

Mood: Laid Back

[*] posted on 12-12-2007 at 02:22 PM

Sounds great. One year on the beach in Los Barriles I wrote a cookbook. This is a very easy meatloaf that I add garlic, chiles or anything to it.

1 package dry onion soup
1 4 oz can evaporated mil, unsweetened
1 1/2 pouns ground beef.

Mix all ingredients and place in a greased loaf pan

The theme for my book was less than 20 minutes prep time. This one a about 5 minutes or less.

Enjoy and as I said you can add anything you want

Fred

Bake 350 for 1 hour.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.