'development' of baja as anything negative,
I suppose I'm old school and want the peninsula
to remain as I found it in the early '80's,
I feel fortunate to have spent time
there before the current changes
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2007 at 11:02 AM

Can you give a link to the site you are referencing? It's interesting news, rumored for years.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
bajacrawler
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2007 at 11:07 AM

It is www.sanfelipe.com.mx It is on the front page.

Jack
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2007 at 11:16 AM

Thanks - I look at the site pretty regularly but not at the "Home" page. Guess I better change my reading habits.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2007 at 11:42 AM

This is good news...now I won't have to buy shock absorbers every time I go down this road.....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-30-2007 at 07:20 PM

Good Roads = Bad news for many who want Baja to remain undamaged by those who don't appreciate the beauty of the place and paint grafitti, leave trash behind and don't care about anyone but themselves.:no:

Bad Roads = Preserve the land, forces one to drive slowly and apprecaite the hardships of those who came before, makes Baja special... There's nothing special about a paved road through a desert other than to get you through the place as fast as possible.:yes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-30-2007 at 07:47 PM

Quote:

Bad Roads = Preserve the land, forces one to drive slowly and apprecaite the hardships of those who came before, makes Baja special... There's nothing special about a paved road through a desert other than to get you through the place as fast as possible.:yes:

copy that!

bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 8-30-2007 at 07:55 PM
Road from Puertecitos to Lake Chapal

This needs to be done. Just like almost every other upgrade in Mexico. It has been advertised for years. I'll believe it when I see it!! ....maybe by 2030 and only then if the graft is reduced by about 95%.

Ever heard of the "Nautica Escalera?".....ditto
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2007 at 08:09 PM

Hmmm.....interesting thought here...

What will that do to the Baja 1000?

Bedman
Tim
Junior Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 8-30-2007 at 09:01 PM

If they pave over the current route, this new road could become a death trap with the many sheer drop offs to the valleys just south of Puertecitos. I hope they put up some sort or warning, vados, or guard rails or something. Just MHO.

It\'s better down there!

www.timsbaja.com
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2007 at 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Good Roads = Bad news for many who want Baja to remain undamaged by those who don't appreciate the beauty of the place and paint grafitti, leave trash behind and don't care about anyone but themselves.:no:

I guess those selfish people who "don't care about anyone but themselves" and want pavement include the locals who can benefit from the road. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes, we love that road and for selfish reasons would like to see it stay the way it is today. For selfish reasons, we would also like to see the road to Bahia Asuncion not become "a paved road through a desert...."

Even though we have had broken materials and furniture from that road to Asuncion, the dirt road keeps it more isolated. But as pointed out by Shari, the locals see it differently, and I can't blame them. Most locals we have talked to want pavement sooner than later.

I think the most selfish attitude is to want it all to remain the way many of us have loved it for years---it provides us a real escape---a beautiful place to explore, a wilderness, quaint villages with great people, etc. ----but pavement can provide opportunities for the local people.

On the other hand, we have met some locals who don't want to see pavement in their areas---like the hotel owner in San Ignacio sees paving the road to the Lagoon as the end to his quaint and peaceful town, or the man who works on the Antelope Preserve near Asuncion who sees pavement as a threat to the environment and the Antelope.

It is now our second home, and we love it, but we know we are being selfish when we don't want to see change that may not serve our purpose, but will help the locals.

John and Diane

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-30-2007 at 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
Quote:

I guess those selfish people who "don't care about anyone but themselves" and want pavement include the locals who can benefit from the road. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes, we love that road and for selfish reasons would like to see it stay the way it is today. For selfish reasons, we would also like to see the road to Bahia Asuncion not become "a paved road through a desert...."

Even though we have had broken materials and furniture from that road to Asuncion, the dirt road keeps it more isolated. But as pointed out by Shari, the locals see it differently, and I can't blame them. Most locals we have talked to want pavement sooner than later.

I think the most selfish attitude is to want it all to remain the way many of us have loved it for years---it provides us a real escape---a beautiful place to explore, a wilderness, quaint villages with great people, etc. ----but pavement can provide opportunities for the local people.

On the other hand, we have met some locals who don't want to see pavement in their areas---like the hotel owner in San Ignacio sees paving the road to the Lagoon as the end to his quaint and peaceful town, or the man who works on the Antelope Preserve near Asuncion who sees pavement as a threat to the environment and the Antelope.

It is now our second home, and we love it, but we know we are being selfish when we don't want to see change that may not serve our purpose, but will help the locals.

John and Diane

the problem becomes, no, it is still as it has always been.....who's right?:?::?::?::?:

is YOUR reality any better than theirs, or mine?:?::?::?::?::?:

tomorrow never waits, hence we all shall see what the future holds...... one thing for sure....prayforsurf!!!!!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2007 at 12:26 AM

Progress is going to happen... that's just reality. There will be a paved road hugging the Pacific coast south of El Rosario someday, too.

Asuncion, La Bocana and Abreojos are pretty big towns... a paved road makes sense for them... They pay taxes afterall.

There are NO towns south of Puertecitos to Chapala... Just a beautiful bay to develop and a shortcut south from Mexicali/ San Felipe being the reason to pave. How likely are people going to stop at Coco's Corner when in just a few more minutes they will be sipping cold ones on beautiful Gonzaga Bay?

Mama Espinoza is credited with the term: Bad roads bring good people... Good roads bring ALL kinds of people!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2007 at 07:44 AM

Quote:

There are NO towns south of Puertecitos to Chapala... Just a beautiful bay to develop and a shortcut south from Mexicali/ San Felipe being the reason to pave. How likely are people going to stop at Coco's Corner when in just a few more minutes they will be sipping cold ones on beautiful Gonzaga Bay?

No, but there will be, and there are property owners who probably would benefit from a paved road. And Mexican Commerce from Mexicali could benefit from that road being paved. The real losers would probably be the people on the leased land who fly-in for the most part.

We love Gonzaga Bay and have never, and probably never will stop at Coco's Corner---met him once at Alphonsina's and didn't care much for the man---We know, that is like "attacking" a legend---just our opinion.

So, we guess we all should measure good vs bad paving of roads based on current occupancy---seems a little inconsisitent, or should we measure it perhaps on where gringos like to escape.

We prefer they all stay dirt, but know that preference is very selfish and self-serving.

Diane and John

[Edited on 8-31-2007 by jdtrotter]

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-31-2007 at 08:33 AM
Our Backyard

WE (having incomes which would put us in the upper tiers of Mexcian society) have always appreciated the BAD Roads in Baja because it made for a great playground away from home.

On the other hand, I have NEVER spoken to a Mexican in those outlying areas with difficult roads who didn't look forward to the paving.

It's a shame that our Toy Sandbox is being paved over, but the Mexicans are happy. It is their country, as many others have said besides me.

I look forward to visiting my friends in Gonzaga more often.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2007 at 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
Quote:

No, but there will be, and there are property owners who probably would benefit from a paved road. And Mexican Commerce from Mexicali could benefit from that road being paved. The real losers would probably be the people on the leased land who fly-in for the most part.

We love Gonzaga Bay and have never, and probably never will stop at Coco's Corner---met him once at Alphonsina's and didn't care much for the man---We know, that is like "attacking" a legend---just our opinion.

So, we guess we all should measure good vs bad paving of roads based on current occupancy---seems a little inconsisitent, or should we measure it perhaps on where gringos like to escape.

We prefer they all stay dirt, but know that preference is very selfish and self-serving.

Diane and John

[Edited on 8-31-2007 by jdtrotter]

Strange how so many can meet someone and have fond memories of the encounter, and others not...

Coco and our Baja 1000 group last November (The Squarecircle, Josh, Baja Angel and I):

Coco when Baja Angel met him Jan. 2, 2005... signing Coco's guest book...

[Edited on 8-31-2007 by David K]

105 049.jpg - 47kB

Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 8-31-2007 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Strange how so many can meet someone and have fond memories of the encounter, and others not...

[Edited on 8-31-2007 by David K]

You mean like all those people who have to stop there to have their tires fixed because of all the screws and nails that somehow have gotten onto the road.:lol::lol:

Or all the people who get funneled onto his property before and during the baja mil so he can extort a few bucks from them>?

Or the people that stop there to buy something and get the royal treatment.:lol:

Or all the guys who's girlfriends he has groped when they stop by.:lol:

I guess he really is a legend.

[Edited on 31-8-2007 by Minnow]
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 8-31-2007 at 09:41 AM

Quote:

So now that the Trotters have disagreed with you publicly, and taken your sticker off their truck it's time for you to start badmouthing them?
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 8-31-2007 at 09:45 AM

Roberto, you have been around here long enough to know the drill.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 8-31-2007 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
Roberto, you have been around here long enough to know the drill.

True - but I have such a boring life that I like to point out the obvious. :lol::lol:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.