BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How does one go about importing 2 horses into Baja for a year????
Julia

shocked.gif posted on 3-8-2004 at 08:45 AM
How does one go about importing 2 horses into Baja for a year????

Good Morning : I am seriously entertaining the idea of moving to Baja for a year with my son....does anyone have any knowledge as to how we go about getting our two riding horses across the border easily and safely?
Thanksyou,
Julia

"My kingdom for a horse!"
Casa P. D. y C.
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 10:21 AM

Into Mex. MAY not be a problem, but the return to the US most likely will. I would suggest contacting US Customs AND the Dept. of Agriculture. Then ask them if there are any other Govt. departments you need to contact. I would be interested in any info you find out as I am contemplating buying horses down here in Baja and would like to know what is required to move them to the US.

Paulina
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 03:53 PM
you might consider having the meat canned

1st. then you can also trade it for other goods or supplies. Makes good dog food too.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Casa P. D. y C.
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 04:09 PM
Too funny Mike,

one does see the strangest things down here. For example, there is a spot down the road from us where tourists can rent horses to ride on the beach. One day one of the horses died right there on the spot. They let it lay there while they built a saw horse type - A frame structure. By the time the dead horses legs had stiffened the building project was completed. They then hoisted the horse up onto the A frame, face forward and there it stood, stiff as a board. Why? Beats me with a stick if I could figure that one out! The horse stayed there for a few days in that position, standing along side his buddies, then it was tipped into the bed of a dump truck and taken away. Such is life in Baja.
El Almirante
Junior Nomad

cool.gif posted on 3-8-2004 at 07:33 PM
Horses in Baja

Capt. Mike- I almost never agree with your political point of view, but I have to say I thought of posting a similar reply. I am no equine expert but aren't there quite a few horses in Baja that one could purchase? Like bringing coals to Newcastle?
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 08:30 PM

Julia,
Please disregard these Philistines (cf. Matthew Arnold's works for those who don't understand this reference) and their non-horse-owner attitudes. It's obvious that they have never had the pleasure of equine friendship...maybe, for that matter, we shouldn't limit it to equines. :)

It is possible and w/o a lot of trouble to trailer your steeds to Baja. The re-entry can be problematic and you want to plan ahead. Work with your vet here and establish a connection w/a vet in Baja before proceeding. There is paperwork going both ways, but not insurmountable.

This is not from someone who has taken horses out of and back into the country, but someone who has had horses for over forty years and is sympathetic. I will admit, although, to chuckling a bit at Capt Mike's solution.

Several years ago we transported a horse across the border from Mex into the States. I looked in my files for the paperwork, but I think it went the way of all "old" papers. In any event, I believe the document was something like "Interstate and International Transportation of Equines" and you will need the assistance of a vet south of the border to make the re-entry seamless.

Ask your vet. If she/he can't help you, I'll bet there's a web site for such.

One thing you will want to consider is feed, and that won't be a minor consideration. Grazing is almost out of the question, unless your steeds are used to agave or cordon. If you're going down the east side of the peninsula, Mexicali has good feed available. I don't know much about the west side.

Just where in Baja are you heading?

In any case, don't give up. It can be done.

[Edited on 3-9-2004 by bufeo]
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2004 at 07:38 PM

any thoughts as to where you might be going to???
Julia

[*] posted on 3-12-2004 at 08:42 AM
my good old Arab Mares are going to El Rosario....

Thankyou for all of your replies...including the Alpo-oriented one...
after you have ridden over 4000 miles on the back of a horse you have had for her entire 22 years,I promise you....you'd take her anywhere on earth for adventure and equine partnership...
my biggest concern really is alfalfa...followed by paperwork...I think I will contact a Brahma Cattle connection in Baja and ask for a favour.
I am also gonna bring down a 500ml bottle of injectable Ivermectin ...
So,with any luck ,we'll be in Baja before the year is over.

"My kingdom for a horse!"

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.