Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chili Rellenos
castaway$
Senior Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

lol.gif posted on 9-14-2007 at 02:26 PM
Chili Rellenos

Hey anyone have a good recipe for Chili Rellenos? I have dozens of Pablanos that are ripe and need to be cooked.
I have seen Chili Rellenos made 2 different ways-
One ends up being like an omlette and the other is like a ----
batter dipped chili. Anyway I like the kind that are batter dipped and stuffed with cheese. Somebody send me a recipe please.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 02:44 PM

I dont have a recipe but here's an idea from Colorado, now that the Hatch chiles have flooded that area of the country.

They roast their peppers, peel em, seed em and wrap them in large won ton skins, after filling them with a mixture of roasted chiles that are chopped and mixed with jack or cheddar cheese. then they deep fry them.

It's pretty good if you are like us and dont like a major batter on rellenos.

Another thing they do that is not common over here on the coast is they make up a sauce they call "green chile" which is shredded pork in a green chile sauce (no tomatillos used in this part of the country). A mexican chile verde pork sauce is pretty close but not with chunked up pork. This they pour over it, instead of an enchilada type sauce.

In fact, they pour this over everything. Ordering a "dry" burrito is uncommon, from what I've seen.

[Edited on 9-14-2007 by Hook]

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 03:05 PM

Once get the hide off of they're good anway you want you want 'em.:yes:
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 03:08 PM

i cheet unless i have a lot of time to burn
i open a can of whole green chiles stuff them with jack cheese the beat a whole egge add table spoon of flower wisk in pour it in a hot oiled skillett place the chile in the middle and flip the egges over on the chile turn a few times tell done and cheese is melted top it with a sauce made of caned enchanalada sauce mixed with peanut butter to taste yummy and quick

another way is to beat a egg white only to a froth and a little flower dip the stuffed chile and pan fry in oil same sauce

jerry and judi
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 03:10 PM

Get em skinned. Then make a roue by boiling some bay shrimp, fill the chilis with the bay shrimp, jack cheese and some of that roue you made.

No one can eat just one!
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 03:26 PM

losfrailes Jeez.:D I'm already full from eating a great dinner.:D Tomorrow!:light:
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 03:35 PM

This recipe is from the Food Network and it is truly outstanding. I make them often and everyone raves about them. I use half queso fresco and half monterey jack; I've also used pepper jack for an extra kick. One problem I have is getting that seed pod out without tearing up the chile too much. A trick I now use is to cut the top off the chile (stem end) and just pull the seed pod out. Then after the chile is filled, I thread a toothpick across the top to "sew" it closed. I tend to overstuff which also tears the chiles, so less is more! The secret to these rellenos is the sauce...edited for the sauce: I use Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes...much easier and muy delicioso.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_...

Chiles Rellenos From Food Network Kitchens

Chiles:
6 poblano chiles
8 ounces Oaxcan-style string cheese, mozzarella, or Monterey Jack
Batter:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dredging
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon fine salt, plus more for sprinkling
1 (12-ounce) bottle or can lager-style beer
Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
Mexican Tomato Sauce, warm, recipe follows

Equipment: Wooden skewers about 6 inches long

To prepare the chiles:
Position a rack on the upper most shelf of the broiler element and preheat. Put the chiles on a foil-lined broiler pan and broil, turning occasionally with tongs, until the skin is charred, about 10 minutes. Transfer the chiles to a bowl, cover, and cool for 10 minutes.
Carefully rub the charred skin off the chiles. Using a small knife, make a lengthwise slit along the side of each chile to form a pocket. Carefully cut out and discard the seeds.

Cut the cheese into 6 (1/4-inch-thick) slabs, about 3/4 the length of each chile (your chiles probably vary in length, so tailor the cheese to the chiles). Slip the cheese pieces into the pocket of each chile so they're 2/3 full. (If the cheese protrudes from the chiles, just cut a little off.) "Sew" each chile shut with a wooden skewer or long toothpick. (The skewers should be longer than the chiles, so they can be easily pulled out after frying.)

Whisk the flour, baking powder, cumin, and salt in a large bowl. Stir in the beer to a make a smooth batter.

In a large, wide, heavy-bottomed pot, pour in the oil to a depth of about 3 inches. Heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer inserted in the oil registers 365 degrees F.

Put the flour for dredging on a plate. Working in 2 batches, dredge the chiles in the flour (the dampness of the chiles creates a light paste with the flour that seals over any tears), dip in the batter, and carefully add to the oil. Fry, turning the chiles once, until golden brown and crispy, about 4 minutes per batch. Using tongs, transfer the chiles rellenos to a dry paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain. Sprinkle with salt, to taste. Gently pull out and discard the skewers.

Heat the sauce. Spoon some of the sauce on a plate and set 1 chile relleno on top. Repeat with the remaining sauce and chiles. Serve.

Mexican Tomato Sauce:
2 pounds ripe tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped
1/4 medium yellow onion
6 cloves garlic
5 sprigs fresh coriander (cilantro)
1 serrano chile (with seeds)
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (preferably Mexican)

In a blender, combine all the ingredients and puree until smooth.
Transfer the tomato puree to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until slightly thick, about 10 minutes.

Yield: about 3 cups

[Edited on 9-15-2007 by bajabound2005]

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 05:51 PM

Oh, man, your killing me with this stuff! mmmmmmm good

Iflyfish
castaway$
Senior Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 07:48 PM

Thanks for the recipes, now I'm hungry!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.