Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hunting in Baja
castaway$
Senior Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 08:17 PM
Hunting in Baja

Iv'e been looking at buying property in Baja for several years to enjoy my retirment but one question I have is-
Are there any Hunting opportunities, I really like big Game but bird hunting is cool also. So what does it take for a gringo to be able to participate as a hunter??? Or should I expect to return to Oregon each year to get the hunting bug out of my system.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 08:29 PM

If you have a spare $30-40,000 you might get a shot at a Baja Mountain Ram.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
castaway$
Senior Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 08:51 PM

What about Mule Deer or White tail? Are there opportunities for Quail etc...?
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 08:53 PM

There is a gun club in Rosarito. There are two American members...(and spouses)...maybe more now...the subject has not come up for a while.

Membership/permits comes with knowing the right people. Must be a member of the community. I've been invited to attend shoots...just haven't yet. They follow hunting laws and carry all permits and they've never had a problem with the checkpoints, though it has caused excitement a time or two. Image an American woman smiling sweetly and saying "Si" when asked "Tiene usted armas?...... He: No, Armas...guns....... She: Still smiling...."Si". :lol::lol::lol:

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 10:14 PM

What ever happened to the lodges here?(Los Cabo)...I remember hearing stories of how many quail and doves people were bagging....ok ;D well, killing.:O

I edited this to figure out why I said quail then doves. I still dont know
But I cant remember ever hearing of quails...is that a southern thing.

[Edited on 9-16-2007 by bajajudy]

MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 9-16-2007 at 05:13 PM

there is great bird hunting in the river basin below mexicali. Duck, Dove Quail and Pheasent. You have to have a permit and hunt with a guide. I was there today and could here shotguns all morning. There are some houses along the Rio Hardy for rent or sale. I could sit on my patio and get ten dove at anytime.
Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 9-16-2007 at 09:18 PM

Try my son in law @ El Fuerte Outfitters.com.They hunt from the Loreto area to La Paz and further south.
[Edited on 9-17-2007 by Sallysouth]

[Edited on 9-17-2007 by Sallysouth]

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 9-16-2007 at 10:01 PM

Have not hunted in Mexico for over 15 years but it does cost for a permit fee for the shotgun which back then about $100 dollars, hear it's about $400 now, we had a guide that cost $30 dollars a day which I hear is $50 now, and had to buy our ammo at the state store that sold ammo at 2 times the cost of what it would have cost in U.S. So, having said that I know all things increase in price, so it would probably cost you about $800 and up for hunting in Mexico. I am probably off some on this but I bet not by much. The hunting I did was in Los Mochis and the dove just did not stop flying and we had our limits in minutes. The quail were the same way and it was a blast as there were 20 or more when we walked up on them. The ducks were just as plentyful. When one of our hunting friends was wading out into the water to get his ducks the guide told him to leave them. However,our friend kept telling the guide he could get them and it was not problem as he could swim if need be. The guide then told him that he thought the alligator could swim faster and believe it or not an alligator was going for the ducks also. Our hunting friend right before our eyes did as Jesus did and walked on water. I have never seen anyone clear out of a water area in less time and we all fell on the ground laughing as he was screaming like a little girl and it was really funny to us not him. We made him buy 4 cases of Pacifico since he acted like such a sissy in front of us. I decided that I never did like duck anyways, so what I shot should be better enjoyed by the alligators. Hope I am off a lot on the price for hunting in Mexico but like the alligators waiting in the water watch out for the price bite. I have some friends that hunt in Mexicali and they also got into a gun club in order to get the paperwork they needed. I also know some people that have friends in Mexicali that have ranches. Now, they go out to those ranches and hunt with their Mexican friends using their friends' shotguns. This is something I would not do nor advise but it does happen. Later------------------------bajafun777

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.