Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: money exchange
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 3-11-2004 at 07:49 AM
money exchange

I live in Sacramento,ca looking to where I can exchange the dollar to peso BEFORE entering Baja. Am driving from here to MEXICALLI.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-11-2004 at 08:00 AM

There are plenty of 'Casas de cambio' along the street leading to the border, in Calexico.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 3-11-2004 at 08:04 AM
hey David K .....

So I hear from the guy whom has a great Website! Have learned much from your site, I just want to thank you. And thanks for the peso info.

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2004 at 08:16 AM

You can also go to your bank right in Sacramento to do the exchange. I did so recently for no fee with current exchange rates; very easy. Check first with your bank to be sure, but you shouldn't have problems at a major bank. Also, you can easily use bank versatellers in Baja (when you can find them), but you must be sure first to have a FOUR digit PIN.

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2004 at 09:34 AM

Yankee: you've surely done your homework. Just wanted to tell you that gas is expensive in Mexico. Fill up in Calexico, and you might bring a gas can with extra gas, as there may or may not be gas available in Puertocitos or Gonzaga if you decide to go. Also, dollars are accepted almost everywhere.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2004 at 10:16 AM
Dollars are accepted almost anywhere

but, it's better to use pesos (especially at Pemex stations) you can't count on a good exchange rate otherwise.....also, when you load up on pesos, ask for 50 peso notes rather that 200...often times at stores or ??? they won't have change. ATMs in Baja only spit out larger bills, so get them changed asap.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-11-2004 at 07:48 PM

Thanks for the nice note! About gasoline, bring an extra can, yes... but bring it across the border EMPTY! Fill it up in Mexicali. Extra gas is illegal at the border. Also, Pemex might be cheaper than Calexico gas which is well over $2/ gallon now.

Debra knows about 200 peso notes not easily accepted. We had a passenger on the Viva Baja van (Debra was another passenger) who saved money by producing his 200 peso note when he wanted to buy small items, and no one could take it... so his fellow passengers either pitched in the small change, or he was given the items for free... That finally came to a hault at Camp Gecko, when he almost got a free shower! I still get a chuckle thinking about it!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2004 at 07:56 PM

David, I was leaving that part out ROFLOL!

but, I have to admit as I was typing my responce to yankee's' question I was remembering that LAST STRAW....but, hey..I got him change didn't I? ('corse I had to 'rob' my friends to do it!) :spingrin:
ursidae69
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Thanks for the nice note! About gasoline, bring an extra can, yes... but bring it across the border EMPTY! Fill it up in Mexicali. Extra gas is illegal at the border. Also, Pemex might be cheaper than Calexico gas which is well over $2/ gallon now.

I've not heard this before? I've ran in Baja two other time, both with full spare gas cans on entry. Has anyone ever been stopped? Made to empty their cans?
bajajoe

[*] posted on 3-17-2004 at 12:52 AM
money exchange

I used several ATM's in Los Barriles and La Paz and the denomination is different for different bank's machines. At one machine I got 12,000 pesos all in 200 pesos each. Another machine gave me a combination from 500 on down. So not is all equal. Just my 2?
Yes- I got 12,000 with 4 cards.
One machine in Los Barriles.

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 3-17-2004 at 11:59 AM
Gasoline in Baja

Since last year, the Mexican government has coordinated gasoline
prices within 20 miles of the border with those on the E.U.A. side.
There is even a box on the front page of the Mexicali Newspapers such
as "La Cronica" which give the current Calexico price. This was done
to decrease the border crossing traffic by Mexicans going North to
buy Gasoline. Of course, Gasoline in the El Centro/Calexico area is
already pretty steep, usually about 20 cents above other areas.
While it is not a bad idea to carry Gasoline across, it has been
illegal for a number of years now. I usually have one 5 gallon and
a smaller 2.5 gallon container and have never been refused, albeit I
have been lectured. A neighbor in Baja brought across an ATV trailer
two years ago during Semana Santa and had (8) Jerry cans at the front.
He was told he had two choices. Drive back across the border and
dispose of the gas or pay a duty of $2.00 per gallon. He paid the
duty, which was apparently not "Mordida" since they filled out a Customs
slip and sent him over to the Bank to pay.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2004 at 09:04 PM

I just completed an 8 day trip from dos Palos,Ca. to la Paz and return. Peso rate before crossing at Tecate was 10.75 to One Dollar. Gas prices were all the same except at the Pemex Station in the town of Guerrero Negro where I think they have rigged the Pumps.Fill up at the "Big Eagle" and you will save about 300 Pesos.

Pemex Sta in Loreto was giving 11 to One exchange for the Dollar.

Skeet/Loreto

In God we Trust

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.