Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Gotta buy a fridge
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 08:13 AM
Gotta buy a fridge

My wife, AKA "KayPassa"....or "The Boss"....needs a new fridge at our place at Alfonsina's She needs it for comidas but I need it for cold Pacifico y Canadian Club. Now that we have lotsa juice free from God via Kyocera and Trace and OutBack we can get a regular Gringo Fridge.

We are tired of wrecking shocks with a big load on That Road south of Puertecitos so we will probably buy the new fridge in TJ or Ensenda and go to Alfy's the long way with a stay at The Old Mil in San Quinntin or some such (The last time we drove in that way was 1983??!!).

Where would you buy a Gringo fridge in either TJ or Ensenda? We assume there are Costcos and Home Depots etc. in both places but maybe there are better places to buy one. We have not been in either town since 1983....looked at both from the air about once a month for the last 25 years but it's hard to spot Costco from 8000 feet.

I would also love to hear if there is a particular brand of Gringo Fridge you would recommend in 19 to 22 cubic foot size....don't need ice makers or through the door enhancements because the free from God juice doesn't yet come in megawatts. We also don't need a SunFrost or equivalent that sells a plain ole fridge with lotsa styrofoam for lotsa pesos.

I'm working on convinciing The Boss that she doesn't need the freezer and small fridge we already have plus the 65 year old Sevell that cranks out ice all day long as well as the new fridge. But that is like convincing her that a hair dryer ain't authorized on solar juice either. It used to be that a "Permanent wave" on the beach was acquired by jumping into salt water and then taking a fast drive in a dune buggy.....no more!:bounce:

Even though we are joining the modern world down there it's really toooooo bad that the techweenies have overlaid us with "conveniences." I saw a dude walking down Alfy's beach last week using our boot legged WiFi with a laptop in front of his face.....he was ignoring the Pelicans, Frigate Birds and Gulls so he could watch UTube on the beach!! Sick!:?:
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 08:26 AM

if i did it again...i'd buy the frig in the states

the "third world" gets a "downgraded" model even if made from a BIG usa company like whirlpool or ge

lots of basic items like "self closing" doors
are not added to products sold here

stoves do not have a temp control either...
buy the stove in the states too

newer appliances are way better and take way less electricty
buy new and help the ecomnomy:spingrin:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 08:47 AM

I bought a Bosch stove at Costco here and I couldnt be happier.
Of course it is not a refrigerator.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 09:02 AM
Fridge

If you are going to buy in the states, look for an appliance outlet place. Got my fridge, stove and washer/dryer all GE, all new and current models, at one shop. Minor dents/scratches, mostly not noticable. Got a 1900 dollar stove for $1200. Similar savings on other appliances. Worth a look.

[Edited on 9-21-2007 by bajaguy]
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 09:15 AM

I have a Mexican Whirlpool refrigerator that went through the Mulege flood.
It floated to the ceiling, got wedged between the kitchen counter and the ceiling and was filled with mud. It is covered with dents and scratches. Some of the plastic drawers and shelves were broken. I had a local appliance guy haul it away, thinking that's the last I will see of it. To my surprise, he showed up at my front door with the fridge in the back of his pickup. He had cleaned it out, soldered some broken tubing and recharged it. I thoroughly disinfected it and glued some of the broken plastic. He charged me $68 U.S. dollars and it is purring right along. ....works perfectly. No warm Pacifico!

backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 09:26 AM

I purchased a Mabe fridge four years ago and it has been great.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by backninedan
I purchased a Mabe fridge four years ago and it has been great.

I considered buying a Mabe. After tossing the idea around, Mabe yes, Mabe no, I opted for the no. :no:

bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 09:39 AM
Import duty

If I buy a fridge in the US and imort it to Mexico....delcare it at the border in the back of my truck...what will the import duty be?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 09:47 AM
wellllllllllllllll

depends, remember, this is Mexico.....

If you can get to a computer and make a reasonable looking receipt with some logos, you can lower the price of the fridge and thus pay a lower duty.....or....

Have the store where you bought the fridge make you a "secondary" receip with a lower price.....or...

you can take off the stickers and make it look used with some ketchup, soy sauce, peanut butter, bread crumbs and some well placed dust and dirt and call it used.

Whatever you buy, be sure to remove any labels that mention "Made in China" or get a knife and cut the Made in China part out
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 10:46 AM
Regrigerators in Mexico

Neighbors here who are purchasing 110VAC Refrigerators to run off of their Inverters are ALL buying LG units purchased in Mexico. They all seem very happy with the choice.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 10:55 AM

Any appliance that was retrieved/salvaged from the Mulege flood and could be repaired must be one tuff piece of work.:bounce: I'd buy it.:tumble:
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 10:59 AM

Try Craig's List. Had a friend bought a all kitchen appliances there. Almost new ,at a fraction of new prices. Just a hint.
Gnome-ad
Nomad

Mood: Okey-Dokey

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 11:01 AM

I lust after the Bosch side by side refrigerator freezer with no gizmos on the door for ice, etc. Saw it at CCC in LaPaz. Sigh. It will be awhile, have a dorm size Sanyo fridge with a glove box size freezer and a Coleman stove for now ... this has been a great thread though, maybe we'll go with Mabe. Have to say I do not like my LG vacuum cleaner very much. LG was advertising in the USA when I left as "the luxury brand." :O

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well. - Ancis
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 11:04 AM

I got an LG fridge earlier this year at Coppel here in Mexicali. It's outside dimensions are roughly 22" x 22" x 65". It's just a bit narrower than most fridges so it could fit into my apartment.

I have been very happy with it. It does have plastic shelves, which was a minus for me.. but I figured I could always make shelves out of 1/4" plywood to fully secure it's status as a "Mexican Fridge" if the plastic ones broke. So far so good. It runs quiet and was the most efficient model for it's size that I could find. The "Mabe" fridges were not as efficent, and well.. I had never seen the brand before.. so I stuck with LG.

You will find new large appliances at Costco, Homedepot, Wal-Mart, Coppel, Dorrians, Elektra, etc..

I got the best deal at Coppel, and they delivered it. Elektra was way overpriced on everything IMO.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

thumbup.gif posted on 9-21-2007 at 11:14 AM
LG

Applying the Brand-Name "Logic":

I once had an LG Cellphone I was satisfied with so I suppose that the Refrigerator should be OK. I'd have a difficult time matching my favorite Vacuum Cleaner. I haven't seen a "Dirt Devil" Refrigerator listed. Odd since they have so much in the way of operating principles in common.

Let me know if you run across one.
todostim

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 11:15 AM

We are all solar in Todos Santos, BCS. producing about 1100 watts/hr with 12 L16 storage. We had a propane one for quite a while but got tired of the fumes and the fridge not getting cold enough. Then we found a 110v fridge that runs on 1.7 amps called a ConServ or Equator (search Google) european made and easily found in the U.S. Top Fridge bottom 3 drawer freezer. Its really easy on the solar. We leave it on all the time. It stays nice and cold, can flash freeze, makes ice fast. 'Can't recommend it high enough.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 11:38 AM

we have a ge fridg from costco in ensanada
we use it 24-7 on solar and inverter

it uses 150 watts right now
this winter it used 126 watts
we found by leaving it on a cooler setting it works much less

propane DOES SMELL:no:

if you have an fm3 and the fridg is the ONLY thing on the truck AND it's out of the box the import is nearly nothing:yes:

our pool equip
doors and windows
dishwasher...
were all around 20% of the invoice submitted:yes:

i'd buy in the usa for the warranty
once you import the applicance you can take it back and forth for repair if needed:light:

our website is:
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 11:40 AM

oh yea

i bought a $160 chest freezer from lowes...

the guy at the border said after looking a the receipt and the fm3 ...
"is that all???"
"yup"
"drive on... no charge"

our website is:
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 11:50 AM

Samsung bought in Mexico low power consumption great quality, Look ar power consumption first of all, they all have it listed.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
markshark

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 12:45 PM
convert a chest freezer

you guys ever check this out?
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Conservation/chest_frid...
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.