Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: World's Biggest Caesar Salad
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 9-23-2007 at 04:45 PM
God! And some of you told me 'I' should get a life

Fdt extended a very nice invitation to join with our Mexican counterparts in order to achieve a silly, but fun, international recoginization and the ex-pats with nothing to do chime in with the goodness and light for which they are so well know.

Okay, I have probably torn it but what the heck..........I enjoyed this board for several years and felt that I could not only learn from what was posted here but that I could also contribute.

Lately, a few have taken over the board and as a result if anyone should happen upon this board today I am sure that they would believe that the inmates have assumed control of this once wonderful arena where an exchange of knowledge of Baja was the topic of the day.................No longer!

[Edited on 9-23-2007 by Baja Bernie]

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2007 at 04:57 PM
Bernie - not to divert this thread but..

Have you actually been posting lately? Or is this an attempt at a surreptitious board take over?

John M
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2007 at 04:58 PM

Bernie's a Charger fan.
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 9-23-2007 at 05:18 PM

It was a nice invitation. Maybe the "silliness" is a kind of RSVP. It wasn't necessarily irrelevant. At the very least, it's kept the thread on the front page. Thanks, Ferna, hope to see you there. I'll slow down through the zona de fallas and pick up a few croutons.

fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 9-23-2007 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John M
fdt - would you think a taxi to and from the border is best way to go? Never having done that, is locating a taxi at both places easy to do?

John M

Taxi would be fine to get to the Cultural Center and as you remember from November it's very close to the border, to get back it would also be very easy and if you'd like we can meet there and enjoy the day together, I'm sure others will be interested.

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2007 at 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeans
Can't beat the price! I'll let you know!

And I figured it at 10 to 1, it is really a little less if you pay in pesos since its at 11 to 1, so $30 pesos would be about 2.73 USD.

fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2007 at 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Three tons of caesar salad...........how will they be tossing it? With a skiploader?

They are saying it will be 10 chefs and theire helpers, lead by chef San Roman.
http://www.rinconsanroman.com/about-san-roman.html

[Edited on 9-24-2007 by fdt]

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 9-23-2007 at 06:45 PM
Hi, Bernie

I understand your bafflement/disgust with the sarcastic, snarky posters, but that is the common discourse on the internets these days - light-hearted, off-the-cuff responses to subjects that may or may not be a significant, well prepared reply.

To go back to the playground, it's another version of "nyah, nyah, nyah".

I don't think you will get a satisfactory reply to your complaints, but you can ignore the disrespect in the internet kind of way.

In regards to the giant Caesar salad, I would love to get a copy of the recipe.

According to Julia Child, who contacted the Cardini family in her research, anchovies are NOT part of the traditional recipe, but, I like to add anchovies because I and the hubby love the additional flavor that they add to the usually very strong tasting romaine leaves.

Maybe the anchovies balance out a bitterness in the romaine lettuce.

[Edited on 9-24-2007 by Gypsy Jan]

[Edited on 9-24-2007 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2007 at 07:38 PM

Bernie, hope you can make it, not far, inexpensive, fun, etc.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-23-2007 at 08:51 PM

I'm still looking for the sarcastic, snarky posts in this. Seemed like good, clean fun to me; through and including the 'chovies and the skiploader.

I thought the comment about the lettuce was quite funny as it touches on the gringophobia about greens. Havent' we all thrown that myth out the window after all these years?

Must we only be completely serious about a three ton salad?

Hey, I'm thinking about going...........but I'm bringing my own croutons in case I get soggy ones.

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2007 at 10:32 PM

Iam totally so sorry.:lol: Those croutons will be the flat tortilla kind. Of course it's a wacky tongue-in-cheek thread. Loosen up for goodness sake.
Anchovie pureed and added to a REAL ceasar dressing makes ALL the diff IMHO! They add umph and saltyness and like Jan says, mellows the romaine.
Who's taking over anyhoo?:rolleyes:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 06:43 AM

Oh now, c'mon you guys. Be serious.
fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Anchovie pureed and added to a REAL ceasar dressing makes ALL the diff IMHO! They add umph and saltyness and like Jan says, mellows the romaine.

It's well known that with so many different stories about the origins of this salad it has many ways of preparing it but from my past experience all of the ingredients are mixed in to make the dressing and the only things that are added at the end are the cruttons, cheese and more pepper if you so desire. Anything else, might as well go to McDonalds for theire version.
http://canirac-tijuana.com/html/events.html

[Edited on 10-18-2007 by fdt]

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 11:38 AM

This is going to be a fun event! It was initially scheduled to happen over the summer, but they had to push the date back to October. I came across a guy that drove all the way from Las Vegas to attend the initial event, only to arrive at the Tijuana Cultural Center with nothing going on!!

Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 11:50 AM

Do they wash the lettuce??
:lol:

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Quote:

It's well known that with so many different stories about the origins of this salad it has many ways of preparing it but from my past experience all of the ingredients are mixed in to make the dressing and the only things that are added at the end are the cruttons, cheese and more pepper if you so desire. Anything else, might as well go to McDonalds for theire version.
http://www.ultimatebaja.com/html/events.html

Actually Fern, I never did all momma said. Sounds like a bunch o' fun. I truely would like to SEE that big thang. I also had no idea the dish was that BIG in TJ.:O
I'll say this much, it takes talent to make a good ceasar dressing. Particularily with the eggs. This really is what I worry about.
When making this meal it is necessary to coddle the eggs. That is, submerge them in boiling water for a minute then let stand a few more at room temp. The eggs are not thoroughly cooked. It is important to use very fresh eggs in order to coddle properly and insure a safe meal. The dressing can be made myriad ways and some use mayo:barf:
to thicken. It's the semi-raw eggs and parmesan that are supposed to thicken it. Some folks chop the anchovies but I think that that way oversalts the salad. Please report back! Have a good time.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Slowmad
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 12:19 PM

Quote:
I'll say this much, it takes talent to make a good ceasar dressing. Particularily with the eggs. This really is what I worry about.
When making this meal it is necessary to coddle the eggs. That is, submerge them in boiling water for a minute then let stand a few more at room temp. The eggs are not thoroughly cooked.

After baking in the hot T-Town sun, the next Guinness record to fall might include...
World's Largest Salmonella Outbreak!
(Quickly followed by World's Gnarliest Gastric Explosion!)

The only requirement for love or chorizo is confidence.
fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
This is going to be a fun event! It was initially scheduled to happen over the summer, but they had to push the date back to October. I came across a guy that drove all the way from Las Vegas to attend the initial event, only to arrive at the Tijuana Cultural Center with nothing going on!!

It was planed for summer but they never did confirm. Always double check with this an any event.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 02:21 PM

I'm sure they arent coddling eggs in the bottled Cardini's dressing which I DO feel is the best bottled version I've had. Wonder if they will use that?

Not to be confused with a good table side, made-to-order version, of course. I think the best one I ever had was in Vegas at Hugo's in the Four Queens, downtown.

Slowmad
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 04:10 PM

Ditto for Hugo's.

And any Tijuana food event is a must-do.
Anyone try Fonda Argentina or Don Diego's, the two newish Argentine steakhouses in town?

[Edited on 9-24-2007 by Slowmad]

The only requirement for love or chorizo is confidence.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.