BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Tacoma: (rear) Air Bags & Shocks Installed (in 2007)!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

thumbup.gif posted on 9-24-2007 at 06:17 PM
Tacoma: (rear) Air Bags & Shocks Installed (in 2007)!

The installation was performed this past Saturday at Off Road Warehouse in Escondido and yesterday (Sunday) Baja Angel and I drove out to Ocotillo Wells (ORV park in the desert) to test it out!!!

To set up the reason for this if you hadn't read any of my previous comments...

I obtained my new 2005 Tacoma Double Cab (4 door, 4WD, TRD package) just over 2 years ago (Aug., '05) after 5 years of wonderful performance with a 2001 Extra Cab Tacoma (2 door, 4WD, TRD package).

The '01 was perfect, needed no mods, and never broke down "Oh, what a feeling"

The '05 is the first year of the larger size Tacoma, plus I got a four door... which is also heavier than a 2 door.

I soon discovered that with passengers in the back seat or a load in the bed, the suspension would bottom out hitting bumps at any kind of speed...

I suspected that the same suspension (springs and shocks) was used on this heavier '05 as was on my '01... looked the same. In other words the springs were not stiff enough for the added weight of the bigger style Tacoma, but were fine with my '01.

After listening to advice for the past year, I was narrowing down the course of action to either Hellwig overload springs (which keep a soft ride until a load is added) or air helper springs (air bags) made by Firestone, called Ride-Rite.

The salesman at Off Road Warehouse (Elex) was very familiar with my problem and recommended the Ride-Rites and Bilstein 5100 shocks, which are the next level up in shocks from the Bilsteins that Toyota uses on the TRD equiped Tacomas.

The shocks were installed a couple weeks ago, and I noticed a better ride already... They were inexpensive and bolt right in where the original shocks came out. The Bilstein shocks were made for Tacomas and designed for use with up to a 2.5" lift. Part # BS-BE5-C476-H0 at $84.95 each, plus $42.00 installation for both shocks.

The air bags arrived (special order) last week and were installed Saturday... $530 for both, icl. the kit and installation.

The total for all parts and installation with tax: $801.38

The good news:

We put three ice chests (2 filled with water, 1 with ice and drinks) and a 5 gallon filled water bottle in the bed to simulate a load and drove to Ocotillo Wells... I was amazed at how much better my truck rode, at speed over bumps and ruts... no more bottoming out!

This was at 15 PSI, where Off Road Warehouse set the airbags to... The range is 5-100 PSI (never exceed 90, Elex said)... The truck is about an inch higher at 15 PSI and did great... To change the pressure, the fill valves are on each side of the license plate.

Now, time will tell how it does in the long haul... I will keep you informed!

Some photos...

First stop, Devil's Slide...

[Edited on 9-29-2010 by David K]

AirbagTest 001r.JPG - 35kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 06:18 PM

New Bilstein and air bag... left side

AirbagTest 004r.JPG - 47kB

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 06:20 PM

The other side

AirbagTest 011r.JPG - 39kB

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 06:21 PM

I am happy!!!

AirbagTest 016r.JPG - 44kB

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 06:22 PM

The Tacoma is happy!!!

AirbagTest 023r.JPG - 47kB

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 06:34 PM

Looks good, will wait for a Baja report.
Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 07:56 PM

Ummm, to bad they couldn't incorporate that air bag suspension with some sort of u-bolt flip at the same time. Bet it wouldn't take too much engineering to figure it out.

"The association of flowers and warm-blooded love is more than a romantic convention; it is based upon one of the great advances in the evolution of life." Ed Abbey
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 08:02 PM

I'm far from being an expert but I would have added one spring and saved a lot of money.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 08:03 PM

Great report David! So no work done in front? Oh, Nice truck.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 08:11 PM

Perhaps there are a dozen ways to go about it... The reason I didn't add a leaf or re-arc the springs was that would make my truck ride hard, all the time... the Ride-Rites are adjustable so I can change the ride/ height very easily. 15 PSI did so well, I will have to try 30... etc. to feel the differences available.

I did talk with a spring company, and new springs/ adding a leaf would have been more than the Ride-Rites.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Great report David! So no work done in front? Oh, Nice truck.

Nope, no problems with the front at all... I would only do something if I wanted to add an inch or two of height. As it is now, the truck seems level without doing anything to the front...

Thanks!

[Edited on 9-25-2007 by David K]

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 08:51 PM

OK David, nice upgrade. Now, why don't you just take the first two weeks in October off and join us on our trek to Baja Sur! You have the power to do it!
Bob H :bounce:

[Edited on 9-25-2007 by Bob H]
TripleG

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 10:18 PM
Air bag upgrade!

Hi David

I did the same mod to my K1500, thru the years it has sagged in the rear. Added the Firestone bags and also added the remote air compressor for added flexablity. Nice to be able to add just the right amount or reduce the pressure for a good ride. Have yet to add a fitting for airing tires, but would not be a problem.:biggrin:
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 07:20 AM

A friend put some Firestone air bags on his 2007 Tacoma and he seems to like it; it survived our last Baja trip too, in a very loaded down vehicle.

You may want to consider upgrading the bolt hardware though....cheap low grade hardware came with his kit :no:

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 07:45 AM

Taco

I have the bags on my MH and I do think I will change out the bolts they are just cheap stove bolts.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Taco

I have the bags on my MH and I do think I will change out the bolts they are just cheap stove bolts.

What kind of bolts will you replace them with? I have the same problem with them constantly popping out!
Bob H
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 10:01 AM

I don't know but will go to a bolt shop and inquire.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 10:17 AM

You guys want Grade 5 bolts at a minimum. Look for MAKE THAT 3 hash marks on the bolt head. The more hash marks, the harder the bolt.

Cover it with a light coating of corrosion resistant grease as I dont believe stainless comes this hard.....too prone to shearing.

[Edited on 9-25-2007 by Hook]

Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 10:22 AM

Air bags are a good way to go. I work with a guy that added them to his old 2WD tacoma. They have helped keep it from bottoming out when heavily loaded. Like David said... the great thing with air bags is you can just use them when you need them for heavy loads; then keep them empty the rest of the time when you want a better ride around town, etc..

Since you should have an air compressor anyways; it allows you to tailor your suspension at any time. Pretty slick really.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 10:41 AM

Grade 5, or greater, as mentioned would be sufficient.
Here are some keys:

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.