BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Tacoma: (rear) Air Bags & Shocks Installed (in 2007)!
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
What kind of bolts will you replace them with? I have the same problem with them constantly popping out!
Bob H

Why are they popping out? If the nut is coming loose due to vibrations or other reasons a graded bolt may not help much. On the other hand, if the bolts themselves are failing (e.g. snapping, bending) the graded bolts (get a grade 8) will solve the problem.

I had a problem with a couple of bolts on my hitch coming loose. I found out one morning in Baja just before taking off for the day! Had my travel trailer in tow, too! Would not have been a pretty picture if the remaining ones had come off, as it was, the hitch was hanging 1" lower than it should on the passenger side. :o

I replaced all the bolts, but I also tack-welded the nuts so that it would never happen again.

P.S. Yes David, those look like cheap carriage bolts from the pictures.

[Edited on 9-25-2007 by Roberto]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 07:18 PM

I did notice the shinny look to the bolts... I am surprised that they would use them if they are less than Grade 5... It was part of the kit from Ride-Rite/ Firestone.

I have used Grade 8 bolts when building a buggy trailer for Baja!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 07:22 PM

A fine thread will also be stronger than a coarse thread.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2007 at 06:41 PM

Very cool David. This will give you a wide range of adjustment. The gamble you take with these is the longevity/durability of the bags in remote/off-road conditions. If you ever do a remote trip with a permanent heavy load (like a camper) where you are really relying on the bags to support the weight, I would suggest investing in a spare bag to throw in your spares kit. Every modification we make to our trucks is a compromise one way or another. This is one that makes sense for the way you use the truck (dynamic loads). Viva Baja!

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2007 at 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
What kind of bolts will you replace them with? I have the same problem with them constantly popping out!
Bob H

Why are they popping out? If the nut is coming loose due to vibrations or other reasons a graded bolt may not help much. On the other hand, if the bolts themselves are failing (e.g. snapping, bending) the graded bolts (get a grade 8) will solve the problem.

I replaced all the bolts, but I also tack-welded the nuts so that it would never happen again.
[Edited on 9-25-2007 by Roberto]

On two occasions, one of the bolts popped out (not loose, just snapped) once when going over a bump and a second time going over a bridge that was bumpy. We always cary spares now. I will double check the markings on the bolts from now on.

This is fantastic information here!
Bob H
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 08:36 AM

Looking at one of the bolts used to install the air bags, it is a Grade 5... other two just below look like Grade 8... That's good!

AirbagTest 009r.JPG - 48kB

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 10:17 AM

With the standard installation, our air-bags did not survive Baja. Took them off and went with super springs. We were tired of trying to replace broken bolts.

Good luck, and hope the bolts are super bolts. Oh, we kept the onboard compressor we had installed and really like it.

John and diane

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 10:43 AM

David

I see no problem with the upper bolts, its the lower stove bolts that I'm going to replace with 8s and have them tacked at the top so they be re tightened on second thought I will double nut them. ( Shiny ones on the bottom are stove bolts I know I installed mine)

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 11:39 AM
Carriage Bolts

From one of the installation pages is this photo and picture of the bolts in question

Contacting a bolt store, he said that carriage bolts are either grade 2 or grade 5. The grade 5 have 3 slash marks on the head of the bolt. I beleive I'd use blue lock-tite on the nuts along with a grade 8 hex bolt. I would hesitate to spot weld a bolt in place in this application.

John

bolts.jpg - 28kB
Bajaddict
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 12:16 PM

My rear leafs on my 99 Tacoma (with shell and full lumber rack) were worn... it would bottom out going slowly over speed bumps, even when empty. Deaver Springs ( deaverspring.com ) added a leaf and re-built the packs for $430 or $480.... I forget which.

It leveled out the ride without making them overly stiff (the "empty dump truck effect") .... and bottoming out is no longer a problem.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John M
From one of the installation pages is this photo and picture of the bolts in question

Yes, exactly. That's what I was referring to when I mentioned carriage bolts. They have the characteristic head clearly visible in the picture.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 06:25 PM

The carriage bolts are marked : HKT (and) 307A on the head... What does that signify?

Off Road Warehouse did the installation and guaranteed it... Lock tite was used and I told them the concerns I heard before (bolts breaking, coming loose) and Elex said they were 'professionals at this', not to worry! I told them I want it to be as strong as if it was a Baja racer!

In any case, even if one fails on a trip, it is no worse than before without them... the stock springs are there and I now have bigger shocks... I am not adding an oversize camper or hauling out 'lost mission gold'! :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for the comments and contributions... thats what a discussion board is about! Also, it's nice to see you here Chris!

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2007 at 12:38 AM
Something strange

in the 2nd photo. It looks as if the lower bracket is bowed from overtightening. I am sure those are not torqued properly. If you look at the bow then you come to realize that with more fatigue and flexing an overtightened bolt like those may pull apart as the thread weakens the bolt at the shoulder. I would take those cheap channel brackets and throw them away and have someone fashion you some out of 3/4"X 2" solid bar stock. On the top end I would make a bracket to place under the two bolts on the top. I would use 3/16 or 1/4" X1" bar stock. Drill the two 9/16" holes as required for new 1/2" bolts. Replace with hardened machine bolts. All you need is a saw and a drill press. To insure they stay put I would just run a second nut up and cinch it against the primary nut(s). Like so:

[Edited on 9-28-2007 by Sharksbaja]

Upgrade.jpg - 31kB

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2007 at 07:29 AM

["hauling out 'lost mission gold'!"]

So you found it, I thought you were holding something back. That's really why you needed a stiffer rearend under load.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2007 at 10:00 AM

Yeah, that is way cool.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-28-2007 at 10:01 AM

David

What these markings ( The carriage bolts are marked : HKT (and) 307A on the head)mean I don't know but I do know they are not strong, because when installing I made a little mistake and have one that is bent(very easy)

[Edited on 9-28-2007 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2007 at 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Shark,is that a design program?If it is,which one?

Actually, it's a vector program. It has various tools similar to Photoshop. I like it because with vector drawings you can manipulate every aspect w/o loss of resolution. Plus you can save as other files for different programs. It's called Drawplus.
I think those brackets are "Takahashi" brand and should be beefed up.:D

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 9-28-2007 at 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Now, time will tell how it does in the long haul... I will keep you informed!

David,

Baja Grande is in November. We could use a capable Toyota on the run, and yours looks ready. Think about it. Pavo inside Mision Sta. Maria??? :light:

Bajaddict
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2007 at 06:40 AM

Do you stilll have your "old" shocks? Wanna let them go for some $ ?

Mine are blowin' mud.... :(
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2007 at 06:27 AM

ill have too agree with JD trotter, i had too sets of these air bags and both developed leeks in the baja. i replaced them with add a leafe leafe springs and never had a problem. they just never seemed too hold up too the speeds i was driveing the dirt roads. allso the original bilstein shocks supplied by toyota are junk as i told dave along time ago on our tacomas, i allso replaced them with upgrades. just installed the super leafs on my tundra and they seem too work great, will see on my 7 sister trip in december.:coolup:
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.