BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: A small moment of kindness...
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2004 at 03:43 PM
A small moment of kindness...

Last week I ducked into Hammacas in Bahia de Los Angeles for a late lunch of warm soup as I had just driven thru a hail storm and it was "gatos y perros" and cold. As I stepped off the porch and walk around my truck to open the door I heard a horn toot at me. Turning around there was a local (I assume) woman and a teenage girl pointing towards me. I interpreted this as a request for my parking spot - really dumb on retrospect as there was no other vehicle around. I indicated I was leaving and opened the truck door and started to get in - more honking and jestering toward the front of the truck. Puzzled, I got out and looked and saw my wallet on the ground. I probably had 5 or 6 hundred bucks between the dollars and pesos in there. I know that not everyone is honest everywhere and not everyone is dishonest everywhere - but I wonder what the odds are of me getting the same treatment in my hometown?
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2004 at 05:39 PM

Did you give good Karma back?
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2004 at 09:57 PM
Good Karma?

JESSE, I think that is what his post was about....good Karma.
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2004 at 10:19 PM
1974 Karma - Bahia de Los Angeles

Mary Ann and I were living in a hut where Geckos is today. We went to town to attend a fiesta for Papa?s Birthday. There was food and a brutal punch and most of the town was there. There were a few Americans, planes lined up and tied down to the buried tires that still can be found around the hotel and Patricio's old Pemex.

It grew dark and we were climbing into our old ?La Tortuga? FJ40 Land Cruiser. A strong west wind was blowing. Mary Ann dropped her purse and it hit the ground and opened and an envelope we had $1900.00 in opened and 19 $100.00 bills blew freely toward the water in the black night. Everyone that was standing around our truck saw the problem and scrambled to rescue what they could of our money. We got back all but $300.00 and the way the wind was howling and with the darkness I can only wonder how anyone found anything. I?m sure there were several happy fishermen the next day out on the water that figured heaven was taking care of them.

But the story got even more touching. The next day a friend from the village came down to our hut and offered me a job working with him on his fishing boat. I was so touched I had to look away to hide my eyes.

So many of us that have it all can always learn from those who care so little for physical wealth and so dearly for more important matters.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2004 at 11:52 PM

Okay, JR didn't dictate this but why would anyone think this was unusual behavior for Mexicans or most folks on the planet?

To prove my point ask yourself this:

What would you do in a similar situation?

If anyone on this board would keep the cash I would be astonished.

Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2004 at 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Okay, JR didn't dictate this but why would anyone think this was unusual behavior for Mexicans or most folks on the planet?

To prove my point ask yourself this:

What would you do in a similar situation?

If anyone on this board would keep the cash I would be astonished.

While I believe most on this board would give it back, the fact is that every study I've seen done on this subject suggests that most Americans would not give it back, even thuogh most say they would when surveyed, their observed actions are different. Also for Americans, the rate of return goes down if they perceive the person who lost the wallet/money to be wealthy...

So, we find it amazing, even though it shouldn't be in most of the world, because of what we are used to here.

By the way, I believe it is just as much urban vs. rural influence. I'd expect that to happen in a place like Villa Rica, GA or La Poza Grande. I would be less likely to expect to get my wallet back in either LA or Tijuana or Ensenada.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2004 at 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Debra
JESSE, I think that is what his post was about....good Karma.
I meany giving some cash back, thats what i alway do when i find myself in a similar situation.

pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2004 at 05:33 PM

sometimes giving a cash reward is appropriate but i think the true reward comes from within the person who helpedin whatever the situation.I personally would never accept cash for good deed done....
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2004 at 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pappy
sometimes giving a cash reward is appropriate but i think the true reward comes from within the person who helpedin whatever the situation.I personally would never accept cash for good deed done....
I wouldnt as well, but if the person doing the good deed is not as well off finacially as some of us are, i think the best karma is to give them some cash, off course, this is just my opinion and i am not in any way saying that someone didnt do what they should, just my humble opinion.:D

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2004 at 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pappy

Good deeds should not be rewarded. They should be performed because they are the right things to do. If one rewards someone for doing what should come instinctually, it cheapens the act itself.

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2004 at 10:15 PM
JESSE

I don't think 'good karma' is giving "cash back" for a good deed. I would not except a 'reward' and from what I'm told of Mexican culture (and what I've seen) it would be an insult to offer money.....I haven't spent much time in the larger cities of Mexico (it may be different there) but, in the small villages (my experience) it is much more proper to offer friendship , thanks and an offer of help in return.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2004 at 02:13 PM

We are all Gods Children no matter who we are.
God resides in our hearts and minds therefore it is easy to see that the person giving the money back did not think of themselves but of the "Other Person".
Skeet/Loreto

"In God We Trust"
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2004 at 07:43 PM
honesty

Psychology Today magazine once published a study in which someone left some serious change in a phone booth, and lingered outside it for a while. Most of the poorly dressed people who next used the booth returned the money, while most of the best-dressed folks did not.

Make what you want of that . . .

bajalera

[Edited on 3-16-2004 by bajalera]

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
GeoRock
Nomad

Mood: Always have one

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 01:59 PM

Not everyone expects a reward for what should be considered decent behavoir.

Karma is karma.

Two years ago I was in my local post office. A German tourist didn't have American change to purchase a couple post card stamps. I gave him what he needed and refused any payment. Flash forward. Last week I was in a post office and needed just two stamps. But the machine only offered to sell me a package of stamps. And it only took up to a $10 bill. I only had twenties and a one dollar bill--too much and not enough. I really needed to mail these bill payments.

In desperation, outside I knocked on a lady's car window and asked to buy 2 stamps for a buck. (I could see she was putting stamps on her own letters to mail.) She gave me the stamps and refushed payment. She was driving an older car, not like my new one. I offered three times to pay her. All offers were met with a smiling refusal. I finally heartily thanked her and realized that many acts of kindness don't require any payment at the time. That payment will come later...

http://reinventmyself.isagenix.com
For rapid weight loss; building of lean muscle for athletes; and overall improved health through nutritional cleansing.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 06:22 PM
3 words Geo: Pill Pay Online

I'll have had several exchanges like the ones you described in my "lllllloooooonnnngggggg" life, both on the giving and receiving end....seems pretty simple to me "Do Unto Others...." :)

I meant: "Bill Pay Online" woops!

[Edited on 3-17-2004 by Debra]
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 08:13 PM
This thread

I've been chewing on the comments on this thread for days and discussed it at lunch today with a work pal. It's a personal and heavy issue within each of us.

When I read (and believe) the statistics that were presented above, I'm not surprised.

When we're on a roll, we want it to continue, we want predictability.

If I live in the U.S. I most likely want to compete. I want a house in a few years that is better than the one I have now. I live my life competing so I can show others that I am successful. It's the law of the land. But on the other hand...

There's the desert dweller that lives 50 kilometers from his nearest neighbor and his neighbors horse wanders into his yard looking for nourishment and that clues in the guy that something is wrong 50 miles down the road. He saddles up or gasses up from an old red plastic tank in the barn and goes to find out whats wrong with his pal.

In this second scenario there's no room for self-promotion, for pumping your image up and looking at your reflection to see how others will see you. There is just time to react and make sure your nearest neighbor is safe and well.

Many of us in the U.S. are busy protecting and defending our own ass(ets). That's our culture and we defend it. It's been my way of life. Prove your value by your earning ability.

But we can certainly learn from our neighbors' ways of life.

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 08:55 PM
Mike.....

I'm not sure I'm following you,

"things" are just that, "things" that's never been very important to me, I've never worried about 'up-grading' my dwelling "every few years" , I've lived in the same home for 20yrs. and it was built in 1945..without really thinking hard I just made a list of 17 homeless people I've offered shelter to over those 20yrs. (I have one living with me now) self-promotional? Don't think so, I think people are more important that "things" "self-promotion" comes up very often in your writings and your camp-fire conversations.....Ya know I luv ya Putz!, but, I have to say that it seems to be an insecurity thing YOU have going on there. :)
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 09:09 PM

Read it again Deb. You're missing the entire point.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 09:15 PM
Guess I am Mike.....

Explaine please? :) I read it several times.
Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 09:51 PM
I get it Mike...

and I like it. I think that having "another world" so close to "our world" helps serve as a reality check on what is important in the "real world."

Does that make any sense!:?:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.