Author: Subject: visa's at the border...impt info
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-5-2007 at 05:55 AM
visa's at the border...impt info

our friend arrived day before yesterday...:D

he grove down in one day...long drive...:no:

yesterday he went to the IMN office in santa rosalia to get a tourist visa...

he got the visa but...

had to pay an additional $30 fine for not getting it when he crossed the border...

they told him it was a new rule currently being enforced...:saint:

even if you don't pay the bank you NEED to have a FMT (tourist visa) below ensenada....

if you don't...cash ONLY:o

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-5-2007 at 06:05 AM

Bob and Susan Thanks for the information.:bounce:
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-5-2007 at 07:37 AM

I posted this info several times already...this was the case last year too...please hazme caso amigos.....pay attention!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2007 at 08:05 AM

no...this was not enforced last year...

the rule MAY have been there but NOT enforced

our website is:
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2007 at 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
no...this was not enforced last year...

the rule MAY have been there but NOT enforced

Yea but that's true of many laws in Mexico. Be prepared and cover your bases because you never know which rule book is going to be used.

Zac

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-5-2007 at 09:08 AM

It is sooooo easy to do at the Tijuana border, anyway!

Get the FM-T (Tourist Card) and pay for it at the offices facing the secondary parking 'Something to Declare' area.

Park, walk to the door on the far right (INM), show your passport OR birth cert. + photo ID, fill out the form (for destination put the furthest point south in Mexico you would ever go, Los Cabos for example), the max. period for the paid FM-T is 180 days, so write that in... If you leave it blank, the officer may write in 90 days.

Take the paper about 6 doors down to the special bank teller window to pay the tax, about $20 US... they stamp the card and you take it back to the INM office for the final stamp, and it is now valid.

IF you get a pre paid tourist card from one of the travel clubs or insurance agents, you must still stop at INM once inside Mexico to validate it with the final stamp.

Tijuana has a 24/7 bank teller to pay for the card, but if you cross at another border then having a pre-paid card would be easier (no walking to a nearby bank then back to INM... if the bank is even open!). If the bank is closed, there is an allowable period to get the card paid while you are in Mexico, but I wouldn't feel comfortable should something happen and your card isn't valid.

The 'rules' are no travel south of Maneadero (10 mi. so. of Ensenada) or south of San Felipe without the Tourist Card (FM-T) OR no stay in the border zone longer than 72 hours without the card...

Some variations of the rules say it is now 7 days in the border zone instead of 3 or you can get a FREE FM-T for stays of 7 days or less anywhere in Mexico.

The tourism dept. people have said that all of Baja Norte is in the 'border zone' and no FM-T is needed for up to 7 days (the first and only checkpoint for tourist cards is at the Baja Sur border, afterall.

The problem with that is the tourism dept. is a STATE agency, and the rules for foreignors is set by the FEDERAL government.... no matter the number of days in Mexico, once you go south of Maneadero or San Felipe you should have the INM stamped tourist card, which must be stamped when you enter Mexico at the border...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 10-5-2007 at 09:22 AM

So what's the story then of those of us that have the FM-3????? We've always stopped at G.Negro to validate coming in and also "going out". Anyone just been through this with the FM-3. Will be heading south around the 7th of November.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2007 at 09:43 AM

Never heard of validating a FM3 except going beyond the "Frontera" zone on the mainland. Can you tell me more?

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 10-5-2007 at 10:04 AM

We travel from Oregon to Loreto twice a year in past 16 winters. Bought home eight years ago. Got FM-3 Then used to stop coming into Baja at Ensenada at the water front Immigration. Finally, nasty old fart started telling us he won't validate as we are supposed to do it at the border. I don't PARK anywhere at the border customs offices!!!!! Rule I'm told is if you "leave Baja/Mexico" you must stamp out exit. When you return you must "stamp IN". So we do. But with the unfriendly guy at Ensenada, we just started stopping at G.N. because you have to stop there anyway. Lady there is really friendly & cordial. Never a problem. No hint of wanting a "reward" for stamping you in or out. So, that's what we do. What have you been doing coming & going bajalou???
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2007 at 10:10 AM

My understanding for the past 13 years has been FM3 does not require stamping on exit or entry. FM2 is a different story. In fact at both Mexicali and Los Algodones they have refused to stamp saying it's not necessary. The only times I have really insisted on a stamp is when I might not be in San Felipe at renewal date.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
tortuga
Nomad

Mood: Muy Despacio

[*] posted on 10-5-2007 at 04:20 PM
David K

About crossing at Tijuana . What is the deal if you are pulling a trailer . We went through there last May in our pickup , that was easy enough , but it looked like it might be hard with our trailer . We have been crossing at Tecate , but it is nice having all the facilities at Tijuana . Any advice on where to park w/ trailer in Tijuana .
Also I noticed Vagabundos isn't offering prepaid FMT's citing a change in Mexico law . Certainly that would be the most covenient.
Muchas Gracias , Tortuga

Nothing happens by chance

http://www.bajatortuga.com
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-5-2007 at 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tortuga
About crossing at Tijuana . What is the deal if you are pulling a trailer . We went through there last May in our pickup , that was easy enough , but it looked like it might be hard with our trailer . We have been crossing at Tecate , but it is nice having all the facilities at Tijuana . Any advice on where to park w/ trailer in Tijuana .
Also I noticed Vagabundos isn't offering prepaid FMT's citing a change in Mexico law . Certainly that would be the most covenient.
Muchas Gracias , Tortuga

i think you could squeeze into the right hand lane and jus park outta the way. don't worry about taking up too much space. if you can find it, grab it!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-5-2007 at 04:29 PM

Agreed, in Tijuana the area is huge to park... all the busses do, mohos with trailers, etc.

Not at all like Tecate!!!

As mentioned earlier, even with a pre-paid card you need to stop at the border and validate it at the INM office.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 10-5-2007 at 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tortuga
Muchas Gracias , Tortuga

At San Ysidro, stay in the very right lane and pull into the customs inspection area. They will let you park while you are getting your FMT. If you have nothing to declare to customs, tell them. You will have to push the button to get a green light or a red light in order to exit.

My latest Vagabundo Chubasco says they now have FMTs again. Give ample notice. They need to use up their supply before they can request a new supply from Immigration. There is a gap in between where they don't have any on hand. Might as well get your FMT at the border. You have to stop there to get a prepaid one stamped anyway.

[Edited on 10-6-2007 by toneart]

tortuga
Nomad

Mood: Muy Despacio

[*] posted on 10-5-2007 at 05:06 PM
Thanks Toneart

Thanks Toneart ,
Are you going to stay at East cape trailer park this winter.
We will be there in February (Los Barriles). Maybe we will cross paths.
Saludos , Tortuga:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Nothing happens by chance

http://www.bajatortuga.com
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2007 at 06:57 AM

"My latest Vagabundo Chubasco says they now have FM3s again. "

tony...that should read FMT's

our website is:
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2007 at 02:57 PM

On the marking trip some of the guys had to get visas at Ensenada. The sign on the window there said that as of sept 16 the was a 50 peso per day fine for not getting your visa at the border. The imigration officer there only charged 50 pesos, so I am not sure what the per day means.
I wonder why it was $30 bucks in Santa Rosalia. Maybe the fine is more as you go farther south.
burro bob
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 10-6-2007 at 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
"My latest Vagabundo Chubasco says they now have FM3s again. "

tony...that should read FMT's

Thank you. I just went back and edited it out. Anyway.....close enough, huh? 3 rhymes with T. :lol:

joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2007 at 07:33 PM
Found the Visa office closed....

I came through in June around midnight during the week and found the Tijuana visa office at the border closed.

Next day I went to the office at the port in Ensenada where I had to pay the one-day fine mentioned above 50 pesos plus to have the girl in the next door office fill out my paperwork at $7 per person. There was no one in front of me and it still took 45 minutes.

It wasn't the end of the world, but it felt pretty lousy. The guy at the counter wouldn't believe the visa office in TJ was closed.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2007 at 08:27 PM

Can you still get one in GN?

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.