Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Flower Report
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2004 at 09:15 PM
Flower Report

Hi. It's true. The desert is flowering!

We returned today from a fabulous trek through Baja's botanical gardens. Words or pictures seem so inadequate to describe the scenes which unfolded at every turn of the head.
We left last Wednesday morning, drove through Mexicalli, stopped in Gonzaga for dinner and continued through to Yubay.

Form our camp in the Sonoran desert near las tinajas de Yubay we hiked, climbed and took photos of flowers and birds for 2 days. The tinajas were full. The rains which has fallen on the central Baja desert for the past 6 months has given birth to a bumper crop of flora and fauna. Caracaras were mating on the points of swollen giant cardons and everywhere it was green! I was blown away, again.

The second afternoon we drove into Bahia de Los Angeles, visited the museum and then had dinner at Raquels and Larrys. The weather was great down there, high 80's, no wind. Slept on the beach north of town, rose early, went for a kayak paddle, loaded up and headed into the mountains north east of San Borja.

In these desert canyon lands which drain the mountains west of La Bahia de Los Angeles we explored for 2 more days enjoying more of the same: climbing, hiking and taking pictures. Here also there was lots of water in the tinajas which sustain life through the hot summers typical of this area. We would climb up, look around and the mesquite jungles made finding tinajas easy but getting to them hard. We would weave our way through the lushness, going up and find the water. Some tanks held several hundred gallons, a few more, many less. It was hard not to stop and look in nooks and crannys where the water had obviously roared through. Maybe a heavy gold nugget was stuck under here? Herman says.....

There is so much life right now, the desert is so quick to take advatage of good fortune! Mnay of the desert plants were flowering for the second time this season, having already set seed and doing it again!

Sunday evening we drove back to Gonzaga. This morning we awoke to this beautiful sunrise, went for a paddle, and came home. We took over 700 photos. In a few days I will put up a link to a more detailed report.
Suffice it to say, this year is the best combination of flowers, birds and mammals I have seen in the central Baja Sonoran desert in many, many years.
Hope we all get a chance to see this again and again!
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2004 at 09:20 PM

great report! and we thought last spring was a bumper crop-wow!!
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2004 at 10:25 PM

Looking forward to your extended report and photo linx. Glad you had a safe trip. You're breaking my heart as I'm stuck here for a bit.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 12:48 AM

Wonderful teasing report Jorge! I was there while reading your post, if but for a minute...

East of San Borja? Arroyo Grande or San Juan, perhaps? Beautiful areas... http://davidksbaja.com/neal

Valle Montevideo is a treasure collection of Baja flora, as well...

Full Tinaja de Yubay photos by Neal Johns http://davidksabaja.com/neal2

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 08:04 AM

Thank you for sharing that sunrise you made my day.Glad you had a good trip, k
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2004 at 05:25 PM

I put up a few pics and a mushy story for those who might be interested.
Thanks everyone!
Mike, hope all goes well with your next adventure! I knew DK knew where we went. Keri, see you at the book signing.

http://www.southcoastfarms.com/baja_flowers_spring_2004.htm
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2004 at 05:54 PM

Awesome! Thanks!

We are heading down Highway 1 tomorrow to see how much we can see in 8 days. looking forward to the colors of the desert in spring!!!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2004 at 06:32 PM

Jorge, you did it again: You made a terrific web page!!!! Great photos of geology, flora, fauna, & people!

The 'fig' tree growing at Tinaja de Yubay is clearly seen in a 1967 photograph by Harry Crosby in 'The Call to California' on pg. 36.

It was that photography job for Copley Press that got Harry hooked on Baja research and led to his own great books (incl. The King's Highway in Baja Ca, Last of the Californios, The Cave Paintings of Baja Ca, Antigua Baja, Gateway to Alta Ca.).

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 3-19-2004 at 08:21 AM

I feel an illness coming on. One that will have me incapacitated for, say, three weeks. Just long enough to see the Baja in bloom.

Nice pics.
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 3-19-2004 at 02:04 PM
There is a doctor in BOLA who can cure you.

Time for you to visit him.:biggrin:

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 3-19-2004 at 04:59 PM

Stunning sunrise picture. One of the best I have seen.
Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 3-19-2004 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaVida
Time for you to visit him.:biggrin:

Yes, Dr. Abraham. Ohhhhhhh, my body hurts. Though to be honest, just the drive to see him would be the cure.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2004 at 09:09 PM
1967 Tinaja de Yubay Fig

Here is Harry's photo from 'Call to California', 1968...

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2004 at 07:42 AM

You all have fun on your trips. This is an epic year in the central section of Baja. The nortern part of Baja continues under drought.

Note how healthy this fig, a Ficus brandegeei, looks in this photo. If you follow the weather it was obvious from radar images throughout this season that abnormal rainfall amounts were falling in the central desert.
I wonder how much further north these figs are found. I can't remember seeing one further north but I can't remember where my keys are half the time so that means little.
Roberts, in "Baja California Plant Field Guide" says these grow on rocky walls and slopes from the Cape to the eastern escarpment of the Sierra de la Gigante. I have seen many further south. But north of here I don't recall one. First thing I thought of when I saw it.
Also, the fruit on these trees is very tiny and tough as compared to cultivated varieties and pollinization is performed by a specific species of bat and a specific species of wasp uses the fruit to reproduce. I wonder if they are this far north? This is why I tend to think this fig was planted or dispersed to this location by indigeneius inhabitants. Just meaningless speculation, oh well.
Regrsless, this year finds this fig thriving.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 3-20-2004 at 10:25 PM
Lovely!

This post and follow-ups are what this board of Baja Lovers keep me comin back if I can get access to a computer!Geez what beautiful pics and specially the Crane or Heron by Don Jorge. Mil Gracias! Our drive up the peninsula, two days ago,was astounding! The desert had bright yellow and purple blankets laid upon the soil around the cacti and Cirios, and lots of red flowering ,low laying plants also. It was a trip "North" that never left me bored,as it can be.Going back in a few days and can hrdly wait to see it again, but we have decided that we are going to stop, many times, and take pics. Thesew pics will be posted on the El Fuerte"whats Happening" link Or I just may steal a few and figure how to give em to you guys and gals.Yes, Don Jorge has already told you, it's an awesome time for the flowers in the desert. All is a-bloom, including the ciros, in the Catavina area. Hasta Luego, Sally

[Edited on 3-21-2004 by Sallysouth]
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2004 at 10:37 PM
WOW!

What a webpage! You be the Master on this one Don Jorge. Fabulous pics!
Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

[*] posted on 3-20-2004 at 11:01 PM

DITTO Sally.... Great trip Don Jorge!!
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2004 at 08:33 AM
More Rain?

Thanks everyone!
Tracking the weather is part of my job and this morning I noticed another Pacific trough of sub tropical moisture to the west of Baja and a low pressure to the north. Note in the sat photo linked below where the moisture is located. This is the same pattern which has brought so much rain to central Baja this season and it looks as if the pattern remains established. More rain?
Sallysouth, I added some photos of the heron ballet to the web page, enjoy.

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/WCIR3.html
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2004 at 06:35 PM
WOW, BEAUTIFUL!

Makes me sadder that I had to pospone my trip and miss seeing the blooming desert in person, but, thank you soooo much for sharing it in print and pictures!
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2004 at 09:11 PM
Even More!

Beautiful pics! We will be leaving Thursday and hope the flowers are still as awesome as they were. Can't do much hiking off the main hiway tho as we will have my granddaughter of 3 mos. in tow.Who would have thought there is such a profuse abundance of flora in that "Forbidden Desert"?Thanks for even more Don Jorge.I'm anxious to get back and hear that the temp was 80 in the shade at 9:30 am yesterday. Gotta get back to check on my vegi garden.Sorry for you Debra, also. I'll be back here before you go down south. Too hot for this ol Mama then. :no:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.