Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Bite my culo.
Sounds sorta reasonable, but why specifically is THAT an insult? Sounds like kind of a painful invitation, really. :lol:

Sigh... and I'm a native English speaker. How can foreigners possibly ever get an intuitive feeling for the subtleties of correct obscene language use... :?:

--Larry

It comes with practice.

... and a good George Carlin record.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 12:31 PM
Bite me

The source for "bite me" revealed:
(At least according to someone's research)

Quote:

Question
Ted I'm trying to find out when the expression "bite me" first came into usage as an American slang, and of course, if it is indeed restricted to American English, or if it is used likewise in other English speaking countries.Thanks. Vicki

===================

OK -- I have checked more than 20 slang, jargon, and dialect dictionaries. The phrase is mid-20th century, but Beavis and Butthead popularized it.

Here are the entries from the two most significant dictionaries:

"The Random House Dictionary of American Slang," vol. 2-- 1994

The original phrase was "bite it!" The meaning, and I quote from the dictionary, is "go to hell" "f*** you!" -- "usually considered vulgar.

It first appeared in PRINT in 1948, in Cozzens' "Guard of Honor," in reference to World War II -- "Bite it!" Sergeant Pellerino said amiably.

In 1949, Ross McDonald, the mystery writer, changed it somewhat to "Why don't you take a bite of me?" That was in his novel, "Moving Target."

Other variations -- pardon me, but they ARE from the dictionary -- bite the rag; bite my b*tt; bite me in the a**; take a bite of this [in National Lampoon, 1971, while he was holding his penis]; bite my bag -- and others.

About "eat it," which is another version, a little more crude than "bite it."

"NTC's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions," 3rd edition, 2000.

This dictionary gives the generic form as "eat it," with bite me as a mild variation . There are numerous examples, which I won't repeat. Under "Eat me!", the dictionary lists it as a "transitive verb." It's definition is "an expression meaning roughly 'suck my genitals.' (Usually objectionable.) "Eat it, you creep."

One of my colleagues HAS the B&B key ring pictured at this site:

<http://www.wickedcoolstuff.com/bebutake.html>

He says that one of the six phrases is "Bite me, dude."

Sorry this has taken so long, but I wanted to be thorough and I was interrupted many times during the five hours I worked on your question.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Etymology-Meaning-Words-1474/x.htm

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lenchoSigh... and I'm a native English speaker. How can foreigners possibly ever get an intuitive feeling for the subtleties of correct obscene language use... :?:

--Larry

Some languages are more expressive with obscenities than others. I can't imagine how many ways a latino can use the word 'mother'.

But it's the more restrained cultures that I enjoy hearing obscenities from. I was once ragging a british beach volleyball player when she turned around and told me

Up Yours!

in that c-ckney accent. I just busted up.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 01:32 PM

Quote:

But it's the more restrained cultures that I enjoy hearing obscenities from.

I couldn't agree with you more. When I hear certain 'words of wisdom' I consider the source, then either bust up laughing or seek out better company.

My ex once sent me an email stating only "bite me". Considering the source I thought it was the funniest thing ever!

So did the judge.

My attorney was on a family vacation and saw this same statement on a t-shirt in a tourist shop. She told me of it and we planned on buying them for our team to wear at our next court appearance, only in the lobby though, just to get a rise out of the poor man.

I try to save such language for Mondays. "Smut Monday" I call it. The only day I allow myself to indulge in such crudities.

I plan to make note of the 'bite me' translation just in case those two words happen to grace my email again. I'll send it off in reply and maybe he'll learn something new that day. I hope it's on a Monday.

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 03:01 PM

Larry, you crack me up with your etymological questions about the origin of insults. :lol::lol:

I have always interpreted it as a milder, synonym of s**k me. Is that insulting enough for you? :lol::lol:

[Edited on 10-25-2007 by Roberto]
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 04:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Bite my culo.
Sounds sorta reasonable, but why specifically is THAT an insult? Sounds like kind of a painful invitation, really. :lol:

Sigh... and I'm a native English speaker. How can foreigners possibly ever get an intuitive feeling for the subtleties of correct obscene language use... :?:

--Larry

Yep, I am not sure who has the best curse words, Mexico or the USA. Both have great ones.

I like to make up my own. Bit*h Hole is my current favorite. Try it sometime when driving in traffic. :lol:

Once, when staying in a hostel in Campeche I had a Japanese guy in the bunk above me. He was fascinated with English swear words. He would ask a Canadian and I the difference between "Son of Bit*h" and "Motherfu**er" , etc.. etc..

We were able to elaborate for up to a half hour about the differences of each term and gave various examples of proper usage and context.

The guy was in Mexico to learn Spanish and we sent him home well versed in English curse words! :lol:

BTW - Firefighters are awesome
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by astrobaja
I really don't know why some of you are jumping down Gypsy Jans throat about this, she was merely pointing out that the media is not covering the TJ firefighter aid, shes not asserting that the aid does not happen!!
When I lived in San Diego for a few years while I was at SDSU I noticed how blinkered the US news media were too, anything north and south of the border (let alone European news) and it was barely touched on!

[Edited on 10-25-2007 by astrobaja]

Astro, this is the part of Gypsy's post that is highly insulting to us, and very untrue:

"Could we please get more information about these heroes, who cross the border of a country that is hostile to them and risk their lives to help their brothers in combat?"

Is it our CNN or your Canadian news that tells Canadians America is hostile to Mexicans or Mexican firefighters?

We, like Mexico with Guatemalans, don't like people crossing into our country illegally... any people, not only 'Mexicans' who don't obey our laws.

I hope that it is the fault of the leftist, anti American media that gave Gypsy these ideas and not something she has seen driving across America to vacation in Mexico... Ameica has welcomed the world's people to our shores for freedom and opportunity... legally and willing to become Americans.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BAJABAILADOR
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 06:31 PM

This morning about 10:00am came across a convoy of fire rigs. As I passed , noticed it was TJ Bomberos. It was led by two pickups, followed by a very impressive brush rig, four nice pumpers and a paramedic. All bomberos looked very haggard,made it a point to get each ones attention and give them a wave and a thumbs up. they all smiled and waved back.
Oh, it was 8 westbound at the 125.:)
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 08:14 PM

Hey David...perhaps you could elaborate on how Jan's comment that the US is hostile to Mexicans is any less true than that ABC, NBC, CBS, CNBC, PBS, and FOX for instance are anti-American organizations. There simply is no progressive monopoly in broadcasting.:no:

The other question folks might ask themselves which relates to Mexicans doing illegal things in the US is this:

Have you ever lied to Mexican customs about what you're bringing in? Drunk a beer in your car? Gone south of Ensenada without an FMT? Driven faster than the speed limit? Eaten clams or lobsters you didn't get in a restaurant?

Exactly which pot is calling which kettle black?

P-nche' gringos no tiene respete para la ley!:?:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Is it our CNN or your Canadian news that tells Canadians America is hostile to Mexicans or Mexican firefighters?....<snip....>

I hope that it is the fault of the leftist, anti American media that gave Gypsy these ideas and not something she has seen driving across America to vacation in Mexico... Ameica has welcomed the world's people to our shores for freedom and opportunity... legally and willing to become Americans.

David,
I didn't know that CNN was another pinko outfit.:o

And it sounds as if you are suggesting that Canadian media is leftist and anti-American....not so. We have enough right-wing redneck reactionary media up here to keep a guy like you entertained and feel at home with kindred spirits if you were ever to pick up a newspaper and read more than the cartoon page:lol:

Canada was also a country built by immigrants (many rejected from their homelands) and done so in some instances by acts of planned genocide of the locals hanging out at the time....not all of our North American Euro-influenced development was based on freedom and opportunity....

Our planet is a bit of a melting pot....learn to share it.

Ged

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 09:45 PM

Hi Ged, I was asking... (not stating) what gave Jan the idea that we in the 'lower 48' are hostile to Mexican firefighters (or any legal Mexicans) coming here...

Here again is what Gypsy wrote: "Could we please get more information about these heroes, who cross the border of a country that is hostile to them and risk their lives to help their brothers in combat?"

Here is my question, again: "Is it our CNN or your Canadian news that tells Canadians America is hostile to Mexicans or Mexican firefighters?"

Is it one of those two (or another media source) that gave that impression to her, I am wondering?

Here was my next part: "I hope that it is the fault of the leftist, anti American media that gave Gypsy these ideas and not something she has seen driving across America to vacation in Mexico"

If it is not the anti American media, then it must be something she witnessed, I am wondering here? For some news agency to say America is hostile to Mexico, "hostile", it naturally is anti American.

Perry, let's first deal with the idea that we are 'hostile towards Mexico' taken care of first before wondeing if invading our country and using our services for free has anything to do with us spending money (vacationing) in Mexico without a tourist card or the other things you think balance the border violations.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 10:30 PM

Quote:
Hi Ged, I was asking... (not stating) what gave Jan the idea that we in the 'lower 48' are hostile to Mexican firefighters (or any legal Mexicans) coming here...

Here is my question, again: "Is it our CNN or your Canadian news that tells Canadians America is hostile to Mexicans or Mexican firefighters?"

Is it one of those two (or another media source) that gave that impression to her, I am wondering?

Here was my next part: "I hope that it is the fault of the leftist, anti American media ...."

If it is not the anti American media, then it must be something she witnessed, I am wondering here? For some news agency to say America is hostile to Mexico, "hostile", it naturally is anti American.

David....there seems to be an implicit statement in your question (but thanks for being gracious in response to my peey reaction).

Your question offers only two options and I don't think it is that simple an "either - or" issue. A variety of media pass on information which is either opinion or observation.....wearing all sorts of political stripes. Folks form their opinions from media influence, talking with or over-hearing others, and from a range of such influences.

Certainly the USA has a problem with the impact of illegal immigrants abusing the system and I don't have a clue how the problem will be solved (other countries around the world have similar problems).

Leftist media isn't necessarily anti-American in the truest sense of the notion.....it might represent values or ideas that are quite consistent with "American" values. Some American political behaviour might be "anti-American" in essence. And the political right does not have sole rights to "being American".

Observations or critiques about "America" do not necessarily constitute "anti-Americanism".

Wikipedia reminds us:
The Americas are the lands of the Western hemisphere or New World, consisting of the continents of North America[1] and South America with their associated islands and regions. The Americas cover 8.3% of the Earth's total surface area (28.4% of its land area) and contain about 14% of the human population (about 900 million people). The Americas may alternatively be referred to as America; however, America may be ambiguous, as it can refer to either this entire landmass or just the United States of America.

It is fairly evident that there are expressions in the USA of "those Mexicans" that suggest some anti-Mexican sentiments. But the Mexicans are not the only ones at the receiving end of racism or jingoistic nationalism in the USA......

I believe we can hold different views as Americans...

A Canadian American,
Ged :light:

Don't believe everything you think....
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 10:41 PM

Quote:

Here again is what Gypsy wrote: "Could we please get more information about these heroes, who cross the border of a country that is hostile to them and risk their lives to help their brothers in combat?"

DK-question...if Fox is so fair and balanced and all the other so many odd stations in North America are so unbalanced...why do the conservatives always agree with Fox? Do you really feel the Fox is shooting straight? Come on now...I call a spade a spade or a duck a duck....

Zac

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 10:47 PM

Thanks Ged... it really was a question only Gypsy Jan can answer... I see she is pretty quiet... perhaps it was a mis-speak... I am not mad at her, I am only curious where she picked up the idea that we Americans (which means citizens of the United States, in this case) are hostile to Mexican firefighters coming here to help... Which is way off base... We love the Mexicans and those who are helping even more! We just don't like law breakers, does anyone?

Have a great rest of the week amigo!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 10:50 PM

Zac... I never mentioned Fox.

Since Canadian Nomads mentioned seeing fire coverage on CNN, I mentioned that one U.S. service. That's all... No conspiracy... Peace amigo!

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2007 at 09:31 AM

Quote:
Zac... I never mentioned Fox.

Since Canadian Nomads mentioned seeing fire coverage on CNN, I mentioned that one U.S. service. That's all... No conspiracy... Peace amigo!

DK-I just heard you refer to "Fair and Balanced" a few times and references to the Liberal media.....I think most media outlets have some bias...it's up to us to decipher fact from fiction. I'm sure you agree.

Catch up with you after I get back from Baja. Have a good one.

Zac

leadmoto
Junior Nomad

Mood: Froggy

[*] posted on 10-26-2007 at 10:08 AM

Let talk about the Illegal immigrants stealing from the victims of the firestorm. And Gypsy Jan thinks the U.S. is Hostile.

San Diego set an example this week on how caring the people of this city are, without government handouts. Great job San Diego!!!

STORY

"Six illegal immigrants who were suspected of stealing relief supplies from Qualcomm Stadium were arrested by Border Patrol agents after San Diego police stopped them Wednesday morning.

A woman who had been evacuated to the stadium told officers she saw the group load up two pickup trucks and a car with cots and other supplies, leave and then return, said police Sgt. Jesse Cesen~a.

When officers stopped them, a member of the group said they were being paid to take things of value from the stadium.

“They were stealing a lot of stuff,” Cesen~a said. “We took the stuff back and we escorted them out. They were stealing from the people in need.”

Because some members of the group spoke Spanish, officers called Border Patrol agents at the stadium for relief efforts. They determined the people were in the country illegally and arrested them."
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 10-26-2007 at 10:45 AM
Mexicans fight blaze on California border

Quote:
Mexicans fight blaze on California border

Agence France-Presse
Last updated 06:38pm (Mla time) 10/26/2007

MEXICO CITY -- Mexican firefighters in the state of Baja California continued to battle a wildfire Friday in the area close to the US border after bringing six blazes under control, a top federal official said.

Starting Sunday, the seven fires scorched some 4,000 hectares (10,000 acres) of mainly open land, Environmental Secretary Juan Rafael Elvira said in a statement late Thursday.

The still-active blaze, the Las Animas fire, is in the municipality of Ensenada, Elvira said, home to a popular seaside resort of the same name.

Some 166 firefighters were battling that blaze, he said.

"The speed of the winds has dropped, which means that there are more favorable conditions to put out the fires," Elvira said.

He added however that area firefighters will remain vigilant, fearing that another fire could break out.

A blaze from San Diego jumped the international border into Mexico and forced the closure of sections of a highway between the cities of Tijuana and Tecate, local officials reported Tuesday.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/world/view_article.php?article_id=96980

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 10-27-2007 at 07:53 AM

Quote:
Pleased to entertain. To tell the truth, I wasn't trying to be funny:

Did that come out the wrong way? I didn't mean to be offensive - I find it funny because of the contrast of intellectualizing something visceral, as you put it. Isn't that a contradiction (understanding something visceral)? Visceral things are felt?

Quote:
internalizing language on the visceral level (which is where insults roam) is an important step to fluency, and a process I'd like to better understand.

You're trying to become fluent in English? Seems you're doin' ok to me, apart from the more visceral aspects of the language. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hope you get my attempt at humor - FYI I'm a native bilingual speaker of Italian/English - I spoke both languages since birth, or at least since I could talk. :rolleyes:

But, most of my English was spoken at home and at school, while most of my Italian was spoken on the street, where I led my social life. Besides that Italian is a more emotional language. Anyway, I am much better at the visceral aspects in Italian and the intellectual ones in English. Interesting?
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2007 at 01:37 PM

What happened to Gypsy? She never responded......................:O

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.