Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Vizcaino to Bahia Asuncion
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 01:07 PM
Vizcaino to Bahia Asuncion

There are some growing pot holes on the first part of the road---ones they repaired not too long ago.

The really bad part by the causeway is being repaired, but still take it slow.

After the big winds they had here, there are more sand dunes that have moved onto the road. And, the famous big dune is QUITE DEEP----signs of lots of stuck cars===left over metal, cardboard, etc. It is deeper than we have seen it, but who knows, could be pushed away any time. :lol:

All barricades on the newly paved road are down---few pot holes growing already. Also, quite a dip as one leaves the pavement onto the dirt----just slow way down. :yes:

Yesterday the dirt part was pretty bad-washboardy, but they were grading by town---not sure how far they got. Hope they continued on,

Diane and John

[Edited on 10-25-2007 by jdtrotter]

[Edited on 10-25-2007 by jdtrotter]

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 02:20 PM
Regarding the big dune over the highway

We driving back from Asuncion (before it became a household name) from my very first trip there when Alex suggested that I just let the truck rip through it. "It's soft dad". I don't know what he had in mind but I think that he thought the sand was just going to fly from the sides. Sort of like skiing. Or like our boat sending spray from the sides.

Anyway, I listened. When the tires hit the sand it was like concrete. They bounced up and hit the wheel wells sending the truck flying. We were sent flying with our heads hitting the cab interior. I am still amazed that the cabover camper didn't fall apart.

I examined everything and we seemed to be all right. A year later the repairs on that truck totaled to over $2500 from damage sustained from our little adventure. Man, did I learn a valuable lesson.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 02:27 PM

This past Aug. when Dern and I ventured out that direction we came across the dunes, completely engulfing the road, as if the desert was reclaiming it's property. Instead of plowing through like Alex suggested, we took the opportunity to take a p/b break. I took lots of photos as the dunes were huge (at least I thought so). To continue on our way we had to leave the road and go around them. I don't have any of those photos to post as they were eaten by our camera with the aide of Dern's finger.

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 02:53 PM

Darn Paula...I am still wondering how much my 32' MotorHome + quad trailer will suffer. If I do not exceed 15 mph...will there be no damage?

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 03:06 PM

Don't worry Al. I must of hit that dune at 30 mph. You know. To make the sand fly higher <groan>. Nobody in their right would have done that. And you won't either.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 05:24 PM

Last July...

707 128r.JPG - 26kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 05:57 PM

Yikes David...no way in hell is my 18,000 # MoHo will go over that...
Well...a few shovels and 5 cases of Pacifico...then maybe:lol:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 06:05 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
I know I will start a MoHo pulling fiesta...5 cases Pacifico...5 bottles tequila and hire a Band...:(:biggrin:
We will call it the day of the desert pull...

Albert G

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 06:49 PM

Al, look to the left of the dune... all trucks and cars can easily go around it... However it would take 10 minutes for a dozer to clear the highway!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
We driving back from Asuncion (before it became a household name) from my very first trip there when Alex suggested that I just let the truck rip through it. "It's soft dad". I don't know what he had in mind but I think that he thought the sand was just going to fly from the sides. Sort of like skiing. Or like our boat sending spray from the sides.

Anyway, I listened. When the tires hit the sand it was like concrete. They bounced up and hit the wheel wells sending the truck flying. We were sent flying with our heads hitting the cab interior. I am still amazed that the cabover camper didn't fall apart.

I examined everything and we seemed to be all right. A year later the repairs on that truck totaled to over $2500 from damage sustained from our little adventure. Man, did I learn a valuable lesson.

I can just picture you guys.... funny but not.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 07:44 PM

When we went through there in a few weeks ago the dunes were pretty much out of the way. Pretty good pavement, even as you pass by the salt flats. Then, just a little bit past the last salt flat - slow way down - there are huge potholes for about 50 feet or so. We hit that pretty hard - our truck and cabover shook around pretty good, no damage. (thank you Ford) Then, shortly thereafter you will come to the left hand turn on the new pavement into Ascuncion - quite nice and smooth until you come to the part they are still working on - then slow way down again. Before you know it you are in town.
Bob H
marla
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2007 at 12:53 PM

I was thinking about bringing my kids down there for spring break in March. Will it be too cold and windy to be hanging on at the beach? Should we go to the Sea of Cortez side and visit Bahia Asuncion in summer? What do you guys think?

If a man walks in the woods for love of them half of each day, he is in danger of being regarded as a loafer. But if he spends his days as a speculator, shearing off those woods and making the earth bald before her time, he is deemed an industrious and enterprising citizen. Henry David Thoreau
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2007 at 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
I can just picture you guys.... funny but not.

I think Neal Johns calls it a whoop_de_doo. Or some such thing. That's what we did. A whoop_de_doo over the dune. More like a whoop_de_crash.

Marla:

Shari or Diane Trotter are more qualified to tell you than me but it's my understanding that the cold water appears in late December and continues until August. The water should be in the mid to high fifties. But you know how kids are. They might find that acceptable. My oldest used to jump into those High Sierra lakes that were so cold I felt cold just watching him. Most of the Cortez should be significantly warmer in March. Water should be close to 70 in the gulf. I would go to the cortez.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2007 at 05:03 PM

Igor---that is just created an incredible picture in my mind! Trying not to laugh. :lol::lol:

Al---the conditions on that road change everyday. Today I heard they had plowed the big dune again----it is a constant battle---- and it is I agree, it is a good p stop. Most of the time everyone does drive around it. It depends. Just stop and look before you continue---you don't have to worry about traffic as there is hardly any.

I think IFYFISH brought his motherhome out here??? and I know Diver brings a travel trailer.

As far as the other road goes, you can now drive on the paved part and sometimes the dirt part of the road is really smooth---think karma and road grader. When we have traveled it soon after the road grader, it is better than a paved road. If it is not good, it is just bumpy----just give yourself plenty of time.

Marla, Shari knows a lot more about the water temps-.

Weather right now is warmer that usual and really no wind at all. We are happy to be back

Diane

Bajame
Nomad

Mood: Baja Dreamin

[*] posted on 10-26-2007 at 06:22 PM

Blew a tire when I hit a pot hole down that way !:mad:

We all want a peaceful world, filled with love and laughter, but we fill ourselves with anger and hate trying to fiqure out how to achive it.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-26-2007 at 08:09 PM

Yup, the dune has been tamed for the moment, just in time for the party..March is certainly chilly and windy which is why we go to the gulf during spring break! No problem in the MOHO...sounds llike a good party! Several crazy buggers have bumped over the road and were happy when they finally got here.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.