Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: should i get an FM3?
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 3-20-2004 at 07:39 AM
should i get an FM3?

I usually get 180 day visas for us both, but sometimes the airport burro migracion guy at San felipe insists you buy one when you clear in there even if you have one issued elsewhere with time on it. Then Loreto takes (pulls) them if you clear out of the country from there. So...i avoid both of those places a lot. The question here is , since i just got what can be construed as a legal residency address by leasing a spot, should i apply for an FM3? and what is the cost to maintain 2 of those per year? I assume i'd get one for each of us. If there is a $$'s premium to an FM3 acquisition then why bother if am only there 1 to 2 times a month? but, if it replaces 4 visas or more at $80 annually plus, then maybe a good idea?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Jerry K

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-20-2004 at 08:19 AM
fm-3

Mike, I will let you know next week. I am applying for mine in Loreto.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2004 at 11:35 AM

Mike; I would strongly suggest that you visit Miguel in Lapaz, discuss with him as you have presented it on this Board.
You have a very unigue position taking people to and from Baja,that will take some good Advice from a good Attorney.Money well spent.
Let me know by email and I can go into it in more detail.
I would like to get that ride someday!
this iis one time you do not want to be "Muy Codo".
Skeet/Loreto
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-20-2004 at 05:09 PM

Here is our two cents....

Mike you now need an FM3 but not your wife. You lease from an excellent landlord but renters need a FM3 to be legal.

Your wife doesn't need one yet...

An added bonus...this would solve you furniture problem. You have a few months to bring you household items to Mexico when you first get your FM3 (menaje). You will need to bring your sofa, refrigerator etc.

Check out this sample:
http://rollybrook.com/menaje.htm

Later your wife would need to get her FM3, then she would need to bring her households items....sofa, refrigerator, etc....AGAIN.

You do not pay taxes when bringing your houshold items with you to Mexico with a menaje.

After declaring them at the border, you could take your household items to the shipper we reccommended in Tijuana and pick them up in Santa Rosalia.

Since you already have a lease we don't think you need a lawyer....too late.
Don Johnson is OK anyway and your lease is probably only for a year.

Keep us up to date...:lol::lol:

ps Chuck at baja.net tells it straight. He never skirts around a subject.
Also my accountant Salvador does FM running around as a sideline.
He will assist you if you need.
He will also travel to La Paz.

[Edited on 3-21-2004 by Bob and Susan]

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 3-21-2004 at 07:15 AM
thx Bob Y Susan!!

Chuck is a star yes but your added info on a loop for getting stuff down may swing me! didn't know that, thx!!

yes, i may wish to use Salvator. how much $$'s , and how much "running around " really is there? why can't i do that easily enough? bunch of signatures? payments? can't be any more complicated than trying for 2 years to get building permits in the county of San Diego.........ouch!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2004 at 10:36 AM

Mike

The running around is minimal, and the only thing that took some time was waiting for the state police to process our backround checks, this was 8 to 10 working day. As I understand it, the backround check is not required by all consulates.

After presenting all the paper work, our fm-3s were ready the next day.

Dan/Loreto
msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2004 at 10:33 PM
FM-3

Hello Mike,
FM-3...?? what to do? We have had a place in Baja Sur for three years now, with no FM-3...I have two trucks and two boats along with my trailer sitting in the golden sun... Well under a palpa.. I am a stickler for doing things right..Both trucks with Cali, DMV license, and insured in Mexico. I have asked my neighbors about FM-3 and they have said in the past they [???] would swing thru to locate Norte's that should have thier paper work in order.. some times asking the same persons a few times over a year or two. I think, my view, that what the Federal requist for FM-3 is not of importance to the Baja Mexico local goverment, just as the visitor tax that goes to Mexico City. I think the plus of hauling personal items in without tax is a sell... I have made two trips with the truck loaded and never looked at the contents....

I know the timing issue on re-newing FM-3 is a pain ..

Martin-o
Juan
Junior Nomad

Mood: Life is good.

[*] posted on 3-22-2004 at 09:51 AM
FM3 timing

Migra surprised me this month when I went to renew my FM3 in Loreto. The original application was made by Jesus, forget his last name, of Loreto Solutions. Jesus is no longer there so I did the renewal myself.

My application was dated and signed March 3rd so I assumed (we all know what happens when we assume) that was my renewal date. I was wrong.

When I first entered the country (Mexico) on my FMT I was in no hurry to complete the application because I wanted the renewal date in the spring, when my wife and I plan on being there every year. A person can start the renewal process 30 days before the expiration date of the FM3 so March 3rd would have been fine for us.

When I entered Mexico on November 10th I asked for and received authorization for 180 days on my FMT. Went to Loreto, paid some bills, worked on the property and vacationed.

Back to the renewal, I do not speak Spanish very well and the letters and forms intimidate me so I didn't even try to read them. When I got back to the states they went into a file, which I took back to Loreto with me.

The surprise I mentioned was my renewal date was actually entered in the FM3 book as November 10th, the date I entered on my FMT. This not only threw my schedule for renewals off but also made me renewal application over three months late. The fine for late FM3 applications in Loreto is $100.00 (that is dollars, not pesos) per month.

After considerable negotiation, questions about the cost of simply reapplying and many lo sientos Migra reduced my fine to $50.00 per month. One could say Migra gifted me $150.00 by reducing my fine or that I had been ripped off by a dishonest agent. Actually, they were pretty nice about it and the copy of one of the forms showed payment of $1,500.00 pesos. I tend to believe they were just people doing their job.

One more graduate course on living in Baja Sur completed and paid for.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.