Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 05:01 PM
More fantasy

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
People hear what they want to hear.

You mean other people, right?

I'm pretty sure that it was really loud Banda that I heard early last Sunday morning. I'm pretty sure I heard it at 2am. I'm also pretty sure that I didn't want to hear it and convinced that the people playing it didn't care.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 05:20 PM

Banda Music? What could be worse. Oh, I know....Living near a place that plays Banda Music.
I mean, a Banda band is huge. They don't just wander around your neighborhood with their Tubas and Drums with the sole intention of driving you nuts, do they?
Or...Did you make a life decision to live near Banda friendly folks?
I made a somewhat different decisions in my habitat selection. My neighbors , when they get noisy, play Mozart. Never a problem for the ears.
Buenos noches.
sylens
Senior Nomad

Mood: ando bajando

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 05:37 PM
banda music

at 2am? i wish. :lol:

last saturday night the neighbors across the way had a big party with banda music until 3am. slept fitfully at best from midnite to 3am, when i literally sighed and sank into my pillow.:yawn:

whooooooooooops. relaxed too soon. that's when the karaoke started. speakers full blast and all the singers way beyond drunk. :fire:

sounded like drowning cats. until the sun began to rise. then they all disappeared like vampires and the silence was deafening.:rolleyes:

i had a long siesta on sunday, trying to recapture lost sleep. really tempted to go ring their doorbell and run away several times between 8 am and noon. but my better nature prevailed. :saint:

not sure how, as sleep deprived as i was.:yawn:

but back to pleasant sounds. i agree with dennis about the pan flute of the knife sharpeners who make their way through our neighborhood regularly. also, i enjoy the ice cream cart that plays "pop goes the weasel," and the church bells ringing on sundays (which i only hear when the santa ana winds are blowing).

lili
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 05:46 PM

I remember this one car that played the first few bars of "La Cucaracha" every time you pressed the horn.

I was at Castro's Camp one day when the fogged rolled in. It was so thick you couldn't see 100 ft in front of you. By evening the pangueros were supposed to come in but the shoreline was completely obscured. So they got the car up on the edge of the cliff and kept blasting the "Cucaracha" horn hoping to lead them to it. It was baja's version of a foghorn.
Dave
Elite Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 11-9-2007 at 05:50 PM
Mozart, as it should be heard

Quote:
I made a somewhat different decisions in my habitat selection. My neighbors , when they get noisy, play Mozart. Never a problem for the ears.

But... Have you experienced the Jupiter Symphony played at full volume on a ten dollar, 5,000 watt stereo system through distorted/overdriven speakers?

No?

I'll see if I can make that happen for you. How does next Sunday morning at 2am sound?

Invite the neighborhood.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
But... Have you experienced the Jupiter Symphony played at full volume on a ten dollar, 5,000 watt stereo system through distorted/overdriven speakers?

Well, of course. Who hasn't. I use your referenced music to motivate my helper at work.
Reminds me of a story. Years ago in Newport Beach, there was a bar/restaurant called, "Sids Blue Beet." Sid had a happy hour, something like quarter beers, and throughout that hour he would play funeral music to slow the drinking tempo.
One minute after the hour, Banda came on the air and beer flowed at a rapid rate.
That's the end of that story.
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 06:56 PM

One man's engine break(or Mozart) is another's Banda el Recodo(or hombre's exhale con frijoles).

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 07:03 PM

No le gusta Amadeus?
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 07:26 PM

Almost asleep on the shores of San Lucas Cove one night when the silence was broken by the boiling sound of bait fish as they were were franticly being chased to the shore by some hungry unseen preditors. I knew then what a "boil of fish" was.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 07:28 PM

This time of year I like the noise of the first helicopter coming from a distance, letting us know that the first trophy truck is on it's way.

The roar of those huge 800 hp motors as they fly by gives me goosebumps every time.

I also like listening to Weatherman's radio relay.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/baja/

There is a good video on that link that shows what I'm talking about.

P<*)))><

edit: tried to put BFGs on my fish, but they wouldn't stay put.

[Edited on 10-11-2007 by Paulina]

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 07:32 PM

Kinda looks like "P" on a bicycle. .............Not that that's a bad thing

Kinda makes me look like I'm talking to myself after you pulled the wheels off...........Not that that's a bad thing.

[Edited on 11-10-2007 by DENNIS]
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 07:44 PM

Sorry Dennis, you must have posted while I had my fish pulled into the editing pit for wheel removal.

If any of you know Muchie, Tom's son, his baja bug is in that video link.

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
mike odell
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 07:46 PM

Here in La Ribera, we get Chaporo the night singer, comes by my bedroom
window about 4 am, good voice and powerful, but walks by fast, as I get to
back to sleep, the chickens start their singing, and it's time to get up and
get on with it.
I love it, most times, unless I have a bad hangover!!
Mike
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 07:52 PM

Audrey and I were waking up one morning in our cabover camper (behind the Motel Saiani (sp?) in El Rosario this last October - early, to the sounds of roosters. When we realized that they do not go "c-ck-a-doodle-dooooo" like they do Stateside. Laying there at 5am, Audrey all of a sudden figured it out... they go "you're an Axx-hole"... we both started laughing so loud each time one would sound off - it was a very good discription to say the least. The accent would be on the Axx part of the cackle! :lol::tumble::lol:
Bob H
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 08:52 PM

Quote:
People hear what they want to hear.

I so agree with that. Our casa here is in the middle of a very lively Mexican bario so we have it all... banda music, (I am so impressed with their partying ability!!!), roosters, the occasional cow that gets parked by our gate, the muffler-less cars that get started at 5:30am (how can they do that after partying until 3am???), the sounds of the "visiting" that goes on at any time of the day..., barking dogs. I go to bed with a smile on my face and say "wow, listen to that!!!" I will wake up occ'l and say..." wow, they are still going at it" or " wow, is it ever quiet" and then back to sleep i go!

When I am at home in Victoria, I can hear one dog bark 2 blocks away and then... that's it, I'm up for the night:fire:

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 08:58 PM

The sound of the cobbles as the wave recedes back into the ocean.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
tortuga
Nomad

Mood: Muy Despacio

thumbup.gif posted on 11-10-2007 at 08:06 AM
That is a good sound Andy

For me it was right after we got our lot set up for our trailer .
We had worked very hard building our fence , creating trailer pad etc. The day came when we moved our trailer out to our lot . The town of Los Barriles is pretty noisy (God bless them).
So it was very nice to take in the quiet out at our lot (very secluded then). Just the sound of the goat heard nearby , the soft sound of the bells around their necks and their chating with each other . Awe the peacefulness!!!
Tortuga
P.S. I think I might become a Nomad today :biggrin::biggrin:

Nothing happens by chance

http://www.bajatortuga.com
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2007 at 08:15 AM

Amadeus with my coffee this morning, Dennis. And what is that strange bright yellow thingy to the east?

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2007 at 09:15 AM

That yellow thing? I don't know. It might be a big neon Pacifico sign.
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
When you guys are through with the romance and fantasy maybe we could have a serious discussion about noise pollution. It's endemic, pervasive and rude.

Dave, I feel your pain. It's been said that the Eskimos have over 40 words for snow. I am pretty sure that Mexicans have zero words to describe "noise pollution"

:lol:
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.