Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Ay Caramba!
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 07:07 PM

Just don't forget to FIRST WHIP OUT YOUR CREDIT CARD AND SCRAPE OFF THE STINGING CELLS!!!!!!!! If you leave em on your skin they are still putting out poison for hours and hours (especially in your hair or body hair).
awfulart
Nomad

Mood: Wondering what our Nit-Wit elected officials are doing now?

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 07:47 AM
Stingrays

What an experience but most helpful info. What about dogs running in the water where there might be stingrays? Anyone had experience with that situation? :?:
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 04:55 PM

Great story Skipjack Joe. I have felt your pain. We have them big time below San Felipe right in front of our house and in the lagoon just to the north of house.

But I got hit by a Sting Ray at Punta Gringa in L.A. Bay years ago and the hot water worked. We kept an old coffee pot full of water on our camp stove ready for action, which turned out this time I needed.

After many hot water pourings and a couple of camp Margaritas and two hours having gone by, I put some Ointment on it, put on a bandage, socks and shoes and we went for a quad ride back into town for tacos.

In my case, the hot water worked.

I felt your pain though...Ouch!

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

thumbup.gif posted on 11-14-2007 at 09:30 AM

What a great read,Igor your a great teller of tails,sometime you and I must spend sometime sitting around a fire and tell each other sea stories and fishing tails.
No question to clean fish on the beach with no birds to clean up is to invite these guys up close and personal.

Again what a great read from all,some funny stuff:lol:

[Edited on 11-14-2007 by baitcast]
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2007 at 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by awfulart
What an experience but most helpful info. What about dogs running in the water where there might be stingrays? Anyone had experience with that situation? :?:

I second this question about dogs...anybody?
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2007 at 10:02 AM

Glad you enjoyed it, baitcast. Yeah, those pangueros never clean their fish where they launch their boats for this very reason.

Yes, we should get together and share fish stories. They say hunters and fishermen are the biggest liars there are (well, after the politicians, that is). The only one who really likes my tales are my kids. I, too, thought my dad was the best story teller there was.

The thread seems to work on several levels. As a true story (I wrote down exactly as it happened, even the ending). A warning of a danger that doesn't getting get its due. An opportunity for others to share in telling their story and how they dealt with it.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2007 at 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunman
Quote:
Originally posted by awfulart

I second this question about dogs...anybody?

This was a problem for us. Our English Mastiff Rhubarb was constantly chasing them at the shoreline. No matter how much I'd scold him, he would be back at it again. He never got hit.

Our Bullmastiff Rosie on the other hand never asked for trouble and she stepped on one quite by accident. It wasn't a bad hit, barely got her, but she was in pain. I soaked her paw in hot water for what seemed like a long time. It was difficult to hold her foot into the pan. Then I coated it with Adolph's meat tenderizer. She ended up eating most of the seasoning off each time it was reapplied. She limped for a while.

Rosie just had the dumb luck because she is the one that ate a dead puffer fish as well. Good thing she was a pig and swallowed it whole, because she threw it back up then slept for 2 days straight.

That was not a good trip for her that spring.

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 11-14-2007 at 11:07 AM
Ammonia

I carry 2 gallon for this, but is it the best thing to do? On other threads it seemed to be. Is this shot Igor had, available as a first-aid item? (I have no problem with giving myself a shot)...Suspect it is Novocaine(sp) Can we find out what it is? I would still go to a doctor as soon as I can, but would like to avoid longer term pain...and especially for children.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2007 at 11:16 AM

You can buy 5% Xylocaine ointments online from Canada without prescription.
This helps but not as good as the shots.
I would consult you doctor and ask for a syringe in a dosage that he recommends.
You will need a scrip to be safe taking it into Mexico.
Dosage for some folks and children is less than others.
Also, get the stuff without epinephrine - avoid the rushng heartbeat.

Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2007 at 11:21 AM

Thanks Paulina. I wonder if a stronger hit could be more danergous for a normal hound? I'm sure your big honkin mastiff could absorb a sting much better than say the average lab.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 11-14-2007 at 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
You can buy 5% Xylocaine ointments online from Canada without prescription.
This helps but not as good as the shots.
I would consult you doctor and ask for a syringe in a dosage that he recommends.
You will need a scrip to be safe taking it into Mexico.
Dosage for some folks and children is less than others.
Also, get the stuff without epinephrine - avoid the rushng heartbeat.

Diver... do you think a syringe...without needle...with ammonia, sprayed into wound would be effective at cleaning the sheve deposit out?

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2007 at 12:06 PM

Al,

I don't exactly know what he injected into the wound. I thought it was an antivenom drug of some sort. But the language barrier was so great that I can't be sure. He also washed the wound prior to the shot by shooting up some liquid in there. He knew what he was doing, that was for sure. He must have done it numerous times. Almost immediately after the shot he asked me if the pain had ceased. I didn't think it could be that fast but realized that it was almost completely gone. The pain was gone and there was only mild discomfort left. The heel itched for about 3 weeks. I was wade fishing again in 3 days.

The shot in the cheek was some antibiotic I believe and was for possible infection.

A small sidenote to all this. A day later we were sitting at campo rene enjoying a few sodas when a boat came up to us in the shallow lagoon. We had been watching the mullet jump and the stingrays patrolling the shoreline.The barefoot passengers just leaped off deck onto the bottom to tie up the boat and wade to shore. I just winced, knowing it's just a numbers game.

As an earlier poster stated, you only need to learn this lesson once.
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2010 at 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
I am surprised that with the flexibility and weight issues that there is not a Kevlar booty out there for this kind of stuff. If there were my wife would have be buy them in a nanosecond for my kids.

I think you can buy surfer booties for the whole family at any large surf shop. They'll provide a lot of protection from rays and all sorts of underwater/shoreline sharp objects. Get the ones with a big toe in them, you'll have much more agility walking around.

torch
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2010 at 08:46 AM

I can remember running (freaked out) after steping on a ray in 1 foot of water only to step on probably a dozen more on the way to shore. I didnt get hit, but very vivid memory. bay of L.A. 1976
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-16-2010 at 08:55 AM

Sorry for the pain you experienced... Makes a great story, however!

Thank you for sharing.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2010 at 06:40 PM

Having been hit by stingrays 4 times, I'm used to it - just some hot water (and cerveza) and all is well - I had a neighbor who swore that a tazer zap would intantaneously solve the problem - he had one, but I chickened out - anybody else heard of this???? ( cure worse than the injury..)
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 2-16-2010 at 07:18 PM

I don't know about your cure, Marv. It reminded me of the Chinese practice of 'foot clapping'. Basically, as I understand it, you slap the soles of your feet vigorously every night to the point of redness and it's somehow supposed to make you healthier. To me the idea is to draw your attention from one source of pain to another, thus rendering the lesser pain insignificant.

Quote:

Chi Kung Master Huang Runtian, writing in “Treasured Qigong of Traditional Medical School,” states that this “Foot Tapping Technique” …”can nourish the liver and improve eyesight; curing chronic diseases of the liver, gall bladder and eyesight diseases (near-sighted, far-sighted, and poor-sighted).”

“As a result of conscientious practicing of the Qigong exercise, the liver-wood nourished by sufficient kidney-water and abundant “earth Qi” would be full of vigor and vitality. Thus the Qigong can nourish the liver and make eyes clear.”

“Frequency and duration of exercise.” Slap or clap your feet 50-100 times. For health protection, once a day before going to bed.”

But I could be wrong. Will have to try the taser tag idea.

P.S., and of course, the proof:

Quote:

While visiting Zen-Taoist Master Hyunoong Sunim, in Washington State several years ago, I was awakened early one morning by a loud clapping. I found out later that he was slapping his foot. I tested his eyesight a few years later, and found that he has better than 20-20 vision–his eyesight is 40-10–much better than 20-20. He can see and read the 10 foot Snellen Eye Chart at 40 feet away without glasses or contacts!

[Edited on 2-17-2010 by Skipjack Joe]
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-16-2010 at 08:02 PM

One of the dive shops in Riverside, Ca. (probably all dive shops have them),
carry a very heavy-duty booty.
They were about $60.00 per pair.
I think we will invest in a couple of them when beach-combing in Baja

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 2-16-2010 at 08:13 PM

Sorry Igor, sounds like a horrible experience. My worst stingray experience took a little different twist, so to speak. I was surfing at Malibu (late 50s), stepped squarely on one, and got hit bad on the arch of my right foot. Intense, instant agonizing pain. Nobody knew much about remedies at that time (Adolfs, hot water, peeing, etc.), so I just laid down on my towel on the beach and sucked it up (I think I rubbed sand on it). As I was sucking it up, I noticed red streaks emanating from the wound and heading up the inside of my right leg. Heading right for.....well, my crotch. The red streaks, and the pain, got there in a few minutes and for a while I had gigantic, incredibly painful....well, cojones. I never knew that could happen, still haven't heard anyone else who has experienced that. Eventually, like all things, the pain passed and I went back to being a teenager.

carpe diem!
torch
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2010 at 09:46 PM

ahhh yes tazer treatment
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.