Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Ay Caramba!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2010 at 08:02 PM

Soulpatch,
I searched the web for anything suitable but found nothing most people would like to wear to the beach (Rayguard kept coming up). A kevlar stocking sounds great to me.

Quote:

A person stung by a stingray may show weakness, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, sweating, dizziness, rapid heart rate, headache, fainting, seizures, groin and armpit pain, muscle cramps and quivering, generalized swelling, paralysis, low blood pressure, abnormal heart rhythms, and on rare occasion may die. The paralysis may represent spastic muscle contractions induced by pain, which are a tremendous hazard for a diver or swimmer.

Pain control should be initiated during the first soaking period. If the pain is severe and persistent, a physician may need to administer narcotics, inject the wound with a local anesthetic, or apply a nerve block. If the wound is more than very minor, the treating doctor may administer an antibiotic, then observe the victim for a few hours in order to detect any deterioration in the person’s condition. The doctor may also order x-rays or special imaging studies, such as an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), to locate any suspected retained pieces of spine.

Ken Bondy,
It appears that you aren't the only one that has felt pain in the groin after being hit by a stingray.

After finding the above article on the internet I'm pretty sure that the physician at Abreojos basically injected local anesthesia into the wound and not anti venom serum as I had thought. Everyone seems to agree that hot water breaks down the venom. Antibiotics may be good to have around to prevent further infection. I now remember taking them for about a week after the accident. A pain killer could really make it way more bearable. But I guess that's what the cerveza's for. :lol:

BTW, Steve Irwin seems to have died from blood loss as he chose to have the spine removed from his heart after that bad accident. It left a gaping hole. The experts are now second guessing that he should have left it in and taken his chances with the venom.
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2010 at 09:38 PM

I always say to myself "oh no I can't watch" when I see folks letting their little kids splash around in the shallow water. I can't imagine the terror a child would feel getting stabbed by one of those things.

Surf booties - they make little ones for little feet. If you don't have them stop in any of the San Diego county beach towns, go to a surf shop and buy some.

A good pain killer should be in any first aid kit. Tramadol is over the counter in Mexico. Much stronger than any over the counter stuff in the states. Google it for dosage instructions.

Hot water does break down the toxin. Soap and water to wash the wound followed by hydrogen peroxide or iodine to disinfect and the after a while some antibiotic ointment and a good bandage to keep the wound clean.

If it's a deep puncture you need a professional to clean the wound and give instructions for subsequent care. The bacteria covering the stinger will be deep down and things could get nasty.

[Edited on 2-18-2010 by k-rico]

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.