BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gonzaga Bay trip Oct 20-27 Finally, camping under the stars and fishing! Part 4
Bajagato
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2007 at 11:11 AM
Gonzaga Bay trip Oct 20-27 Finally, camping under the stars and fishing! Part 4

Tuesday morning, we awake to wind, again. But, this time it almost seems manageable. Being as optimistic as possible, we decide we’ll try to Papa Fernandez today. With a request to Antonio for hot water, lickety split the hot water heater was re-lit and I got a hot shower before leaving. Hurray! It was be the last shower for several days. Shelly and Joe hit the restaurant for one more excellent breakfast and we all begin to pack back up for the next part of our adventure. We settle up our bill, $380 for four people two nights, several meals and drinks, a bargain.

Another stop back at Rancho Grande for beer and ice. Some folk there, Americans that have a place at Gonzaga, applauded our courage to be setting out this afternoon to be tent camping. I was not sure how reassuring that was but we were determined to do what we were originally meant to do, camp, fish and kayak. I quick trip over the hill to the north and we arrive at Papa Fernandez. We were surprised that there were no military at the post there as we have always seen them there. But we had not been down this way for two years; maybe they left a long time ago for all we knew. Upon arrival Chris went into the small restaurant and paid for two vehicles, camping three nights, a whopping $30. Can’t beat that!!! A young boy opened the rope gate for us and we were over the hill to our new home. We set up camp, and had a heck of a time with that pesky wind, but both parties successfully erected tents. With that out of the way, time to explore and get some fishing done!

The wind still made it to hard to fish on the other side of the bluff so we took of to go to the Bahia Willard side. Chris and I on foot, and Joe and Shelly started over in the jeep. As Chris and I started our walk over, I mentioned that they were probably going to get stuck in the sand, but we continued to walk. Sure enough, they were stuck and Chris went back to pull the jeep out with our Tacoma. After that delay we were all ready to fish.

Shelly and Joe had a little luck with a few bass and puffers that were thrown back. Chris caught bass too. Then Chris and I both hooked up a Sierra. They were fun to catch. Chris’ Sierra was giving us a show jumping out of the water several times. We kept the Sierra and Chris cleaned it. It didn’t really prove to be enough for dinner so we had the back up dinner plan, brats. Tomorrow we will try for our favorite, triggerfish!!!

A quick breakfast of bagels fried in butter and we are off for the day to catch the allusive trigger. Chris and I kept telling our friends how we always catch triggerfish, how they are so fun to catch and make great fish tacos, so far, no trigger. Today would be a different story.

Over the bluff to try this side of the bay. The wind that we had complained (only slightly) for days had now stopped and it was nice and hot. After casting several time and losing my croc in the rocks twice, we headed towards the end of the beach where it looked to be shady.

Not really that much shade over here after all! I sit and re-rig for the third time! I hate the rocks!

Okay, time to get serious. No one was catching anything worth keeping on this side so it’s over the bluff back to Bahia Willard to slaughter the trigger!
Finally! Joe is the first to catch one. We had been using crocs to no avail, Joe used GULP squid, and bam! Shelly was next! I am not sure which one was bigger. They both said they enjoyed catching them. Man they fight, and look at the size of these ones!

Mine wasn’t so big, but still put up a good fight. It would be the only trigger I kept on the line, all trip!

Chris caught Pompano and a great big Sculpin!

Our day on Bahia Willard was lots of fun! We were so that glad Shelly and Joe finally got their triggers! At the end of the day, what stays in the bucket is what really counts!

Shelly took pictures of the birds that were very interested in the area while the fish were being cleaned, and a few other creatures in the tide pools.

The night would end with fish tacos and many shots of tequila! Only one day left in beautiful Gonzaga bay!

to be continued...
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2007 at 01:06 PM

That's just GREAT! Looks like you all are having so much fun that you can't stand it..... hahahah
Bob H

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.