Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Hellicopter Crash Story
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2007 at 07:16 PM
Hellicopter Crash Story

From Sign on San Diego;

TIJUANA – Armed men burst into Ensenada's morgue Wednesday night and took the body of a man who died in a helicopter accident earlier this week. The group later killed two police officers who attempted to stop them.
The dead man taken from the morgue was identified as Pablo Gonzalez. It'sunclear whether that's his real name or why such drastic measures were taken to recover his body.

Mexican media reported he was a suspected member of the region's Arellano Felix drug cartel.
The unusual events started Tuesday afternoon when a helicopter crashed south of Ensenada, along a road that connects the coastal city with the Valle de la Trinidad, according to Baja California authorities.

After getting tangled in electricity lines, the helicopter fell close to a route being used for the Baja 1000 race, forcing race participants to be re-routed, according to Tijuana's Frontera newspaper.

The helicopter reportedly had been following the race course. The event started in Ensenada Tuesday and ends Friday in Cabo San Lucas.

Two people were found dead: Gonzalez and a man identified as Ismael Romo Reyes. Two other people were injured and were being treated at an Ensenada hospital, according to state authorities.

Around 9 p.m. the next evening, armed men stormed Ensenada's morgue. They initially took two state social workers hostage as they grabbed Gonzalez's body, according to a news release from the state Attorney General's Office.

The unidentified workers were released and are in good health, according to Mexican authorities.

Mexican law enforcement officials pursued the group, and a shootout took place on the road that connects Ensenada to Tecate. Two city police officers were killed: Enrique Lemus Hinojosa and Salvador Gonzalez Quijano. The assailants escaped with Gonzalez's body.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2007 at 07:47 PM

The dead man was Luis Merardo León Hinojosa, nicknamed "el Abulon". A 20 year veteran of the Tijuana Cartel and one of the original enforcers. He led a group of about 500 people and was one of the strongest current leaders. The 50 men that "rescued" the body where probably his own people.

Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2007 at 07:59 PM

You just can't make this stuff up!

yuletide
Dave
Elite Nomad

mad.gif posted on 11-15-2007 at 08:23 PM
WTF

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
The dead man was Luis Merardo León Hinojosa, nicknamed "el Abulon". A 20 year veteran of the Tijuana Cartel and one of the original enforcers. He led a group of about 500 people and was one of the strongest current leaders. The 50 men that "rescued" the body where probably his own people.

They send 50 armed men to rescue a corpse? I know these guys are psycho but this is absurd. And when you really think of what this means it's scary as hell. Pure terror.

I guess that's the message.

[Edited on 11-16-2007 by Dave]

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-15-2007 at 08:37 PM

It's called, "over whelming force". :yes:

------their learning.
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 11-15-2007 at 09:21 PM

We were watching the race from about a half mile away, just across the street from where the two rescue helicopters landed (BF Goodrich Pit #1). The first chopper landed, picked up one of the injured and left. The other chopper was there at least 30 minutes before the patient was stabilized and ready for transport. In between this time, a truck load of Army soldiers came in the BF Goodrich Pit and immediate took off for the crash site. I wonder if they knew what they were getting in to? Scary.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-16-2007 at 06:27 PM

I heard a unconfirmed story that the bad guys raided the hospital and made off wit 2 people that worked there and are holding them in an attempt to exchange them for the bad guy that is still in the hospital

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2007 at 06:30 AM

Just read this in the LA Times.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-ensenada...
Conflicting stories, as usual.
You'll have to copy and paste the whole url

[Edited on 11-17-2007 by Russ]

[Edited on 11-20-2007 by BajaNomad]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2007 at 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
I heard a unconfirmed story that the bad guys raided the hospital and made off wit 2 people that worked there and are holding them in an attempt to exchange them for the bad guy that is still in the hospital

although I herd this story from a source that is in a position to know this stuff I have not been able to confirm it from any other source. so I am taking it as not true

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 10:52 AM

Well, I'm very very very close to this story and for all the wrong reasons- that I won't elaborate on. The family doesn't think this was a simple helicopter accident but an asassination. If the morgue would have released the body of "the abalone" to his "family" it would have all ended there- at least on the surface. But the authorites wanted to investigate the background of the dead man and hold his body loonger- which the family found unacceptable. Hence they took back the body, kidnapped the morgue employees and then killed the policeman they came across on their way out of town. If they had just given the dead body back to the family for burial- it would have ended there- but in this war neither side plays fair or smart and no one cares about us naive Ameicans for being here in the middle of their turf war.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 11:08 AM

Whooooosh-------

There is something basically wrong with your line of thinking here---------------you don't defer to the criminals, or their families----------that line of thinking leads to just more crime.

These aren't "business folks", they are CROOKS, and CROOKS are ultimately responsible for the consequences of their actions----------without knowing the details, I approve of the official action on the surface, and am distressed and saddened by the reaction of these CROOKS and the mayhem THEY have produced.

This is NOT the fault of the officials, no matter what you think. They were just doing the job they are hired by society to do, as they saw it.
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 04:15 PM

Sorry to respectfully disagree. The authorities knew who the dead man in the morgue was and exactly what his background was. All they were going to do was tear up the body more for abu-graib type photos before they gave it back to the family. There was nothing to learn about the helicopter crash from the gangsters body and when a family shows up at the morgue for a body with a caravan of SUV's you give it to them. The authorities knew the family would come but did nothing to protect the morgue workers. Where were the police to protect them? All hiding I presume becuase the place was deserted when the caravan arrived.

Up north here in Rosarito the gang is still totally running the show. And with the gov't changing over in a few weeks everyone is on edge, especially the gangsters. To be frank- the police here are just as evil and corrupt as the gangs and, should you need help- it's hard to figure out who to call to make your current situation better (if anyone at all ). We all know that's the truth and the reality. If your house is robbed, the police will take what's left. A new neighbor of mine moved back in one week after the "nice" local policeman offerred to sell her drugs at a good price. These are real, daily problems that only they can fix, not us gringos. Go ahead, stick your head in the sand- it won't make you or baja any more safe.

Usually the gangs leave us gringos out of their business dealings so we can sit, type away and judge from afar. This time my truck and cell phone were stolen and used in this situation. I learned a great deal in a short amount of time about things I never wanted to know about, and I feel very lucky to be alive. I looked them and death square in the eyes and it's only because I didn't call the police that I am still alive- although it'll be a few more days before I'll be sure. They still might come back from my security tapes. My story is nothing short of amazing- but I'm smart enough not to tell it. I will write everything down while it's fresh in my mind- but sadly I think there is a story like mine every day.

The government changes over here next month. Hugo Torres, the new incoming mayor and owner of the Rosarito Beach Hotel, lost his real estate license over manipulation of the "zona federal" for his own profit. Apparently Mexico and New Orleans have something in common- they both respect and elect a good crook. The man who has run all of the Torres real estate holdings for 20 years was kidnapped last week. He either negotiates with the gang and pays the ransom or they kill his assistant. So what does the new mayor-to-be do? Does he call in the Federales, State Police, Military Police and push hard back against the gang for the man's release and to restore the order of law as you would suggest? No, he disowns his 20 year assistant and says publicy he doesn't even know the man and has never done business with him. Huh? How's that for courage and leadership in Mexico goverment? With leaders like Hugo Torres, no one should lecture this Gringo when he simply posts the realties of life here.

Check out how just little confidence ANYONE has in the military helping solve crime at www.gringogazettenorth.com. No wonder the Bush admoinistartion took so long to give drug-war money to Mexico... they didn't know who the non-corrupt people were to give it to for the fight (still don't and propbably gave it to the wrong people like the USA always seem to in the end).

[Edited on 11-19-2007 by Woooosh]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 04:43 PM

Amazing story, Woosh.

But be forewared. This kind of honesty will get you branded on this site..........

as nothing but a Hollywood writer. :lol:

Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 04:53 PM

Thanks- I needed a light note. Off to hollywood! Hey- no one pays attention to a "newbie" here anyway. LOL peace.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 04:59 PM

Newbies from Rosarito Beach????

WE'RE ALL EARS !!!!!

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 05:08 PM

If all is true its time for a low profile!!

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 05:48 PM

Whoooosh------

That's heavy!!!!! Sounds like the situation is WAY more out of hand than I ever suspected-----not the kind of place that I would choose to live BECAUSE my head in NOT in the sand. But, I can sure see where you are coming from, tho I still think my basic premise is the ONLY way it will ever be reversed down there--------both gringos AND Mexicanos have to get really peeved, get some back bone, and move on these crooks------but that is so easy for me to say, safe and sound in N. California, isn't it. I don't envy you at all.

Anyhow, good luck, and thanks for posting-----newby's always welcome on this board.

barry
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 06:13 PM

Comitan is soooo right!

Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 06:54 PM

Yea I know. A low profile. I've been here six years and this is the first time I've had a problem with the real gangsters. All the Army did in TJ was scatter the c-ckroaches around and they are popping up in new places and interacting with gringos more openly and aggressively. I used to get a few deportees a year passing by my house looking for work- but this is my first run in with real assasins here on a specific mission. It was so surreal.

IMHO, the situation in the last year has been deteriorating from a security standpoint and everything has kicked up a notch. The gangs are doing regular carjackings on the toll road while I've personally seen mototrcyle cops pull over the same car (with CA plates and their whole famaily) twice within five miles- both getting their $20 bribes I suppose. So what do you think those children in the car learned about Mexico police that day and how soon do you think they'll be back for a lobster outling?

The gangs and the local corruption have "killed the goose that laid the golden egg" so to speak. The many recent kidnappings and express-kidnappings (just a trip to the ATM with them to max out your card for cash) killed the summer tourist and real estate markets here, which is now causing the poor mexican workers to lose their construction jobs or just never get paid for the heard work they did. People are trying (more like fleeing) to sell their homes here to move farther south in Baja, not back north to the USA.

The US media won't report most of the horror stories for Americans here becuase of the backlash they get from Mexcio when they do. And it's no surprise that Mexico doesn't step up and volunteer any potentially tourtist-damaging information. Here, they DO kill the messenger- and his family in front of him first. There's no shame here and no one gets rewarded for doing the right thing.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 07:03 PM

thanks for telling your story Woooosh sorry you had to go through all of that stuff.:(

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.