BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gonzaga Bay trip Oct 20-27 The drive North from El Rosario to home! Part 7 THE END
Bajagato
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2007 at 11:08 AM
Gonzaga Bay trip Oct 20-27 The drive North from El Rosario to home! Part 7 THE END

The trip from El Rosario to San Quintin.

We stopped at the Wet Buzzard by Cielito Lindo for Laura’s famous breakfast burritos. You can’t be this close with out stopping in the special local. The tide was really high. We had never seen water between the Wet Buzzard and the dunes before. We watched a local fisherman make his way out to mouth of the bay. He must have known what he was doing and wanted to fish awfully bad. It looked pretty wet out there.

After a great breakfast and a great week in Baja, its time to head home. Here are some pictures Shelly took as we traveled north.

We came upon two incidents on the way home. One was a car over the side on fire; the other actually had us stopped on the highway (and out of our vehicles) with about 30 other cars going north. Seems an F150 had a collision on a turn with a Coca Cola truck. Luckily for us the wait was minimal, we heard on the two-way radio that there were more like 100 cars waiting going south.

All military checkpoints were passed through without incident. A matter a fact this is the only time I can remember that we were only asked where we were going etc and not asked to get out of the truck and open the back up. The young soldiers seemed intrigued with the kayaks.

We had a wonderful drive home; only bad thing was the fact that we were going home. We left the toll road at Cantamar, taking the free road to Blvd 2000 to Otay Mesa. We stopped for lunch at Becky’s Loncheria to have our last authentic Mexican meal. We have stopped there several times before for a quick bite to eat but this time it was a sit down meal. We all opted for some kind of shrimp dish and everyone left full and happy. I am not exactly sure of the location of this establishment but its on the right side of the road going north, and its past Cantamar. It’s a restaurant, not a stand, you can’t miss it if you are looking for it and we do recommend it.

We also recommend the Blvd 2000 to Otay Mesa border crossing. We have taken it several times now and although it feels like a long way around, it takes you right to the border and the wait is significantly shorter there than at TJ. Our wait this Saturday afternoon at 5pm was the shortest time we have ever had in line, one hour. We were relieved. Usually after a 2 or 3 hour wait we are pretty worn out for the rest of the trip home to Laguna Hills. This day was a lot better. We were sure that we would be asked to go to secondary as we had the kayaks and this was the first time we’d come back across with them. All the agent asked was “ is there anything in the kayaks”, to which we could honestly answer “no (on the way down they were filled with poles etc). So we were waved on, no secondary. We were super happy about that. Shelly and Joe however were not so lucky. We were semi-surprised, but considering there Jeep was packed to the gills, it was understandable. They only confiscated a few items in the ice chest and they were on their way.

One last note, this was the entire week of the Southern California wild fires. And although we had heard a little about the tragedy while in Baja in wasn’t until I got a cell signal, and received a 3 day old message from my boss that the schools in our area ( I am a crossing guard) were closed for two days because there was a fire within 10 miles of where we live and the air quality was too bad for children to be at school. We had not heard about the Santiago fire until we had received a radio signal past Ensenada. Our relatives lived within about 5 miles of the fire so it was a scary week for them.. Here are a few pics of the fire that was relatively close to where we live.

Thanks for reading my LONG report. It was fun to reminisce while writing it. We cannot wait till we are able to return to one of our very favorite spots, Gonzaga Bay!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-17-2007 at 11:46 AM

Great report Denise!

Baja Angel and I just returned from a week vacation in Nevada/ Arizona and reading your Baja trip report was a great substitute for us not being on the peninsula on Vacation! (However, have you ever seen the Grand Canyon...? wow!)

Thanks again!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

docsmom
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2007 at 03:32 PM

Thank you Bajagato. Great report. I enjoyed every minute of it!
The pix of San Diego were terrifying but I think a good ending. It reminded me to savor every moment...........
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2007 at 02:47 PM

Although I haven't commented on your report in the past, I wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed reading it and looking at all the pictures. I think I was able to identify the location of every stop on the highway. For example, the burning car appears to be near those pullouts north of Camalu where stands of sycamores grow next to the road.

I know it must have taken some effort to do all this.
Thanks.
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 11-18-2007 at 02:56 PM

Wow... well done Bajagato! I don't think you can ever make a trip report too long, especially when it includes pictures. And besides, you broke it up into short installments, so that not only made it easy to read, but kept me waiting for the next part! Way to go! Looks like you guys had a great trip.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
amir
Senior Nomad

Mood: chiropractic

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 11:16 PM

Nice pictures and report! Thanks.

I also recently bought a Nikon D40 through Amazon. Yesterday walked at least 20 miles around Todos Santos and took over 500 pictures...

:bounce::bounce::bounce:
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 01:14 PM

I loved part 7 thanks for th effort. Would it be possible to put them all together so I can read them all at once.:light:

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 02:19 PM

Thanks Grover. I guess I am stuck in "todays Posts" mode.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.