Author: Subject: Baja 1000 hi jacking
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 11:05 PM
Baja 1000 hi jacking

Just passing it along.....

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36297

Your heartfelt calls, visits and emails are much appreciated.

Last night our family made the decision to drive home at San Quentin. We felt fine, not tired and saw lots of chase and race teams on the road- heck, it was only another 5 hours to get into our own beds. The drive went just fine until we were 7 miles from the border. We were almost to the last toll booth in TJ when we were pulled over by “the police”. As soon as we stopped another car stopped in front of the truck and trailer blocking our path. At the same time this was happening the truck (our 2007 super duty and McMillin’s Weekend Warrior) were surrounded by men with guns, their faces covered. They stuck a gun to Chris’ head and pulled him out of the truck. They then proceeded to pull the kids out and stuck a gun in my side and told me to shut up and not move but to put my head down. The kids and Chris were stuck into the back seat of the truck with a man sitting next to Tyler (age 16, this week) who stuck a gun in his side for the next very long 2 hours. We were driven with our heads down and guns on us up into the hills above the area near La Playa. The gunmen yanked Chris out of the truck and made him disconnect the trailer and then finally shoved him back into the truck. There were 10 men, during this time they were ransacking the truck and trailer and taking everything including the jewelry off of our bodies. They pulled the GPS for the stereo out of the dash. We still had the gun men with guns stuck to our bodies. We were driven further up into some new development that was just graded. They first took Tyler out of the truck and shoved him to the side of the road. They then removed me and pushed me to the ground, I laid over Tyler as best as they would let me. They then covered us both with a sleeping bag and threw a pillow on us. At this point they brought Divinia and Chris around and forced them to the ground. We all told each other that we love each. Our truck drove away. We stayed there for about 10 minutes not moving. We then did a 1 ½ hour hike thru cactus, barbed wire down a mountain in the fog wearing our shorts tanks and flip-flops. We ended up on the south side of La Playa where we knocked on doors and rang security bells for over an hour before a very nice lady let us into her home and called the police. The La Playa police came and decided to hurry us out of the country, giving us a ride to the border. The customs and immigration folks were less than helpful and even less sympathetic to our situation. While they did let us walk into the US they would not let us use their phone, bathroom nor have a drink of water. They directed us to the McDonald’s for assistance.

So this is what happened. The rumors are close but this is the boiled down version of what transpired. Please be safe. After 25 years of the Baja we are done. We can replace material things; our greatest pleasure comes from our great kids. We consider ourselves blessed and lucky to be home and safe.

Our family is very sad to hear that there was so much loss of life this race. Our prayers are with those families. We wish those of you that continue with the great Baja racing tradition safe travels.

Chris, Debra, Divinia and Tyler Hall

PS For Chris' friends whose numbers he has lost would you please PM him your number?
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 01:05 AM

Thanks Frank for posting this. Horrible. I have been in recent discussions with Baja officials and they are very concerned as they should be. I was told they are coordinating a plan of attack to both catch/setup these criminals and increase security in Northern Baja.

If anyone knows Chris, please have him email me.

Thanks,'
Ted

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 05:58 AM

He said they were almost to the last toll booth, is this the first time there has been a robbery (abduction in this case) on a toll road? How could they make it through the tolls?

He said he was towing McMillans trailer? I wonder what their reaction will be to this?

[Edited on 11-20-2007 by BajaWarrior]

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 07:21 AM

The treatment from US customs makes me want to gag with disgust.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 07:42 AM

Very sad to hear of this family's ordeal,

After reading this story, on one hand, I think "Why would they choose to drive the toll road, or any other in that area, at night ? Maybe they made the wrong decision." and "It wouldn't happen to me."

On the other hand, I travel with my wife, 2 kids and 2 dogs, all of which I love dearly. To put myself in the hijacked family's place for just a minute is a very uncomfortable feeling that I would choose to avoid at all costs.

I have always felt safe, but why take the chance ?
We will avoid TJ as we have the past few years, and plan to cross at Tecate. We will travel only in daylight.

If anyone wants to join us, we plan to cross with visas already in hand, mid-morning on December 18. Will overnight in San Quintin and then continue south the next day. U2 by December 11 if you are interested in joining part of our travels.

I think this year I will put the CB back in the truck along with the VHF handhelds and cell phones. A list of appropriate phone numbers or just a contact that can call the cavalry (Nomads). Maybe a gps tracker for the truck; maybe for the kids and dogs too ? Maybe.... ?
Am I being TOO concerned ?
Consider this happening to your family; I think not.
This year, I will turn the dial UP on the common sense that has always kept us safe.
Be safe all !!

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 07:43 AM
CBP

Maybe somebody should remind them.......

Mission

UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
SAN DIEGO SECTOR

TO ENFORCE THE RULE OF LAW ALONG THE BORDER, WHILE ENHANCING THE QUALITY OF LIFE OF THE PEOPLE WE PROUDLY SERVE.

WE VALUE:

PROFESSIONALISM

We strive toward the highest standard of ethical conduct.

HUMAN LIFE

We value human life and seek a safe environment for all.

INTEGRITY

We value honesty and integrity; always remaining loyal to the mission of the Service.

TRUST

We hold ourselves accountable in the performance of our duties to create and maintain an environment of trust.

SHARED EFFORT

We value ourselves, our community, and working together to solve issues of mutual concern.

Commissioned by the Agents and the Staff of San Diego Sector

4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 07:53 AM

anybody know what time they were comeing through? we just got back last night and had no problems but we did come through tacate.
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 07:58 AM

Holy smokes! So much for the relative good 'ol days of the $20.00 shakedown.

So it seems the lesson we're supposed to learn from this (other than never going to Baja again) is to not stop for any flashing lights unless you're at a police station (or similar).

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 08:04 AM
Need to vent????

CBP Press officers

Send copies of the above post to:

Vincent Bond, Press Officer
Jurisdiction: Southern California/Mexico Ports of Entry
610 Ash Street
Suite 1200
San Diego, CA 92101Phone: (619) 744-5224
Fax: (619) 645-6641
Email: vincent.e.bond@customs.treas.gov

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Angelica De Cima, OFO Office of Public Affairs Liaison
Jurisdiction: San Ysidro Port
610 West Ash Street
Room 1200
San Diego, CA 92101Phone: (619) 652-9966 Ext: 192/114
Fax: (619) 645-6641
Email: angelica.d.decima@cbp.dhs.gov

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 08:07 AM

I wonder if the toll road insurance will pay off in this case?

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

mikeintj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
He said they were almost to the last toll booth, is this the first time there has been a robbery (abduction in this case) on a toll road? How could they make it through the tolls?

There are of course many places to exit beween the tolls, and with ten men and probably 3 or 4 cars you only need one car to act as a spotter - the rest can be waiting.

For what its worth, I think this stretch of road (the freeway along San Antonio del Mar, Baja Malibu etc) is the most dangerous part of Baja in terms of extremely serious robberies. This is just my opinion from surfing this board.

I would recommend using the non-toll road since it is at least busier.

However the best advice, as many have said, is not bringing attention to yourself by travelling in expensive cars with even more expensive trailers.

This post gives an idea of what is happening between Tijuana and Rosarito:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=28041&pag...

[Edited on 11-20-2007 by mikeintj]
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 08:16 AM

So where are the police during all of this, or maybe it was the police.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
So where are the police during all of this, or maybe it was the police.

I think you answered your own question:light:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 08:40 AM

Just what will they do with Mcmillin's Race car, it has to be very very recognizable even if painted?

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 08:43 AM

it is being sold by Parts.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4baja
anybody know what time they were comeing through? we just got back last night and had no problems but we did come through tacate.

1:00 am.

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
mexwest

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 08:52 AM

Is it safer to cross in Mexicali or tecate? I'm heading down next week and am getting a little concerned with all of these posts. Our vehicles are not too flashy and we have no trailers, but damn.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 09:01 AM

In the old wild west, a hunter could find a herd of Buffalo, point his rifle in their direction, pull the trigger and an animal would fall. Easy pickin's and the word got out.
More hunters went west to point their rifles and watch the Buffalo fall and everyone was surprised at the ease with which one could take down a prize.
Then, more and more hunters arrived to cash in on the easy pickin's and soon the herd's were decimated. Near extinct.

Point is, I think the hunters are coming into Baja from all directions to find their fortune in "easy pickin's." We are the defenseless herd being hunted to extinction. When the visitors stop coming, who will they prey upon next? They won't stop.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mexwest
Is it safer to cross in Mexicali or tecate? I'm heading down next week and am getting a little concerned with all of these posts. Our vehicles are not too flashy and we have no trailers, but damn.

I would choose Tecate'. It's safe and closer to points south.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 09:52 AM

Dennis's analogy is right on.
At this point, we can only be vigilant buffalo.....

Let's keep getting the word out.
This has got to be stopped before it gets any worse.

Pages:  1    3  ..  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.