Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  7
Author: Subject: Baja 1000 hi jacking
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 02:33 PM

You might put this one on the list of contacts as they are at least trying to do something and start the communication. There was some discussion and disbelief on the first incident that happened about a month ago but now this is becoming all to commonplace.
http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/baja-mexico-fishing-report...
jodiego
Nomad

Mood: ever hopeful

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 03:10 PM

1:00 AM. Man after all that has transpired in the past couple of months, traveling anywhere in norther baja at that time of night is just inviting trouble. I have never driven past dusk and I never will. So sorry for your terrifying experience.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jodiego
1:00 AM. Man after all that has transpired in the past couple of months, traveling anywhere in norther baja at that time of night is just inviting trouble. I have never driven past dusk and I never will. So sorry for your terrifying experience.

I don't want to seem callous about this but that was a big mistake. How could you not kno of the risk?
If this happened at 1:00am they past through San Quintin at about 8 or 9pm. There are several safe and comfortable places to rest and continue in the morning.
I did recently cross that area after dark but it was about 7 or 8pm. No problem but I'll think hard about doing it again.
When I was on my way out of Ensenada a police car pulled up
behind me and put on his lights. I pulled over but he kept going. It was a Federal police Dodge Charger painted like a Chp. Clearly marked. I saw him and another just like it later at the Tollboth past Bajamar. Real cops.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 04:17 PM

What do you mean "how could he not know the risk"? You think every Baja tourist reads this board?

Mebbe if the State Dept and the major media had given this some attention earlier, he might have known the risk.

Until there is more publicity on this, there will be more persons caught unaware (or just unlucky).

[Edited on 11-20-2007 by Hook]

MrsFDT
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
You might put this one on the list of contacts as they are at least trying to do something and start the communication. There was some discussion and disbelief on the first incident that happened about a month ago but now this is becoming all to commonplace.
http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/baja-mexico-fishing-report...

I certanly hope that Bajabil is able to do something, but I would like to note that Fernando emailed the guy twice earlier last month, offering to join forces about getting to the right people, because he had the contacts that might have helped him, but the guy ignored Fer and never responded, so Fernando gave up. He emailed him directly, not through the bloody decks board. I got the impression that maybe he wanted to do it all by himself...

I showed fer the thread link, I thought maybe this is a good thing and he said he had already seen it, then Fer opened his outlook and showed me the emails from the 17 and 18th of October, when the fist reports of the incident happened, I think.

[Edited on 11-20-2007 by MrsFDT]

Following FDT wherever the Baja wind takes him.... That is, if its going in the same direction I am.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsFDT
If there is ever a time to slam them with this, it's now, while the new guy is fresh and eager to create an impression. In all honesty I get the impression they really arent too sure of how or what to do, but know something has to be done.

Send as many emails as you can to fernado@ultimatebaja.com

Thanks Simone...
Jeezo...You have given us more honesty to the situation than we ever could have hoped for. I hope it sits well at home.
How right you are that we have to strike while the iron's hot. The question now is, who's willing to pick up the hammer. I would in a minute if I had the connections, if I had friends or aquaintenances in high places, but I don't.
What I do have is a big mouth and I'm willing to give that to the cause if other big mouths such as mine will join in concert. We could be the strongest effort. We could support the groups who have the hammer. Those that have been abused.
Boycot Baja. Stay away untill it's a safe place to bring your kids. Make it a place that doesn't involve fear and death. Make it the Baja that is safe.
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 06:38 PM

Well Dennis, start sending to me.

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 07:33 PM

Here you go, Ferna..........
A huge billboard at the entrance to Mexico that says, "Enter this country at your own risk"
Take the government to task for why they refuse to address the problem.
Take the US government to task for the same reason.
Allow Americans to protect themselves.
If Mexico can't control areas of crime toward visitors, make the areas off-limits. No Pase.

"No surfing. No camping. No isolation. No enjoying nature. No quiet beaches. None of this stuff because it's too dangerous."
That's what the signs should say if Mexico was honest to what's happening today.
But, that's a pathetic joke.

Mexico has gone into a no- win zone on crime, I believe. I don't think Mexico can kill the cancer it has given birth to and nurtured. Mexico started it with her tolerance of the cartels and she will live under the heavy hand of her bad child to the end. All we, as outsiders, can hope to do is, join together and defend ourselves.

How about you Ferna...What do you think?
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 07:51 PM

I was working up in Sacramento the last two days and this happened the other night - so it is not just happening in Baja:

Fake 'officers' carjack woman

STOCKTON - Men posing as California Highway Patrol officers carjacked a woman at gunpoint on Interstate 5 on Sunday night.

A 35-year-old Tracy woman reported she was driving north on the interstate at Matthews Road at 10:57 p.m. when she pulled over for what she believed to be an official vehicle. Instead, the vehicle's occupants sped off in her 2002 Chevrolet Corvette, according to reports.

The men were wearing black baseball hats and black windbreaker jackets with the letters CHP written on them, according to reports.

"When people are pulled over, they have the right to ask for identification or call us on their cell phone to confirm we have a unit pulling someone over," CHP spokesman Adrian Quintero said.

Stockton Police have seen several recent incidents of criminals posing as law enforcement officers robbing and carjacking people, but this is the first time robbers have posed as Highway Patrol officers and pulled people over on the interstate, Quintero said.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 07:58 PM

Oh good. Here's some of that reverse justification.

"Hey man, you think it's bad here in Stockton, you ought to see Tijuana."
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 08:06 PM

It's not just tourism loss the Mexican gov't needs to worry about. They have a billion dollars in real estate going in on the "gold coast" between Ensenada and the US Border. There are new million dollar houses in Puerto Nuevo built by Orange County developers. Trump's Baja Resort (on the toll road south of TJ) sold out their first tower in hours and set a record for Mexican real estate sales. Of course they held the sales event in downtown San Diego, not at the Trump site.

Can you imagine someone telling Ivanka Trump she has to dress like a hobo and ride in an old honda civic to get to her new penthouse condo in Rosarito? LOL
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 08:21 PM

On this Rick Roberts show, "John" identifying himself as a "senior" customs officer says he was there when the family walked through... and here's more of what he says:

"They weren't denied drinking water - they were pointed to the public drinking fountain. We do not have a public restroom. We had to shut that down.

"If they'd asked for a supervisor I'm sure they would've been treated a little bit different.

"I stayed and made sure they were able to get through. Although I didn't deal with them, I watched from the side. I'm a senior officer.

"Um, the officer they went through didn't give 'em any trouble at all. But I think he should've realized it was a little more than the usual, 'people had their truck ripped off by the police or something', that happens, you know, eight or nine times a day.

( asked to repeat that statement, he follows with: )

"It happens a number of times a day that people lose their cars to the Tijuana police. They get ripped off for their vehicles... for stealing from the police or whoever.

"Right now we're having a lot of problems with the police down there."

Here's the audio (caller is at minute 25):
http://www.760kfmb.com/podcast/files/rick_roberts_4hr-11-20....

[Edited on 11-21-2007 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 08:23 PM

One point of rebellion would lead to the next. the problem is, getting to point one.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad

Could anyone imagine getting cooperation from either one of these agencys? Not hard to understand why they don't get along with each other.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
But I think he should've realized it was a little more than the usual, 'people had their truck ripped off by the police or something', that happens, you know, eight or nine times a day.

( asked to repeat that statement, he follows with: )

"It happens a number of times a day that people lose their cars to the Tijuana police. They get ripped off for their vehicles... for stealing from the police or whoever.

I have no reason to believe that this doesn't happen but for the record:

I hear this kind of talk from border agents regularly. They don't feel like they work for us, actually dislike American citizens who cross and would say anything that would encourage our staying "home".

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grover

How about an effective boycott; no street drug purchases for at least a month.

I know you're kidding Grover but, I'm serious with a proposal that if we all quit breathing for a month, Al Gore won't have global warming to worry about anymore.
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 09:21 PM
This just in

In regards to the meeting today with the new Secretary of tourism and other officials and local businesspeople, is that the Secture wil have continuous patrols on the corridor between the border and the first toll gate and as soon as they see a cop stop anyone, they will stop and investiate why the stop was made.
I don't know if they just thought of this in the heat of the meeting but that is what will be starting. Now, how long will it be in place? It's like someone asked me about the no ticket zone, that was a joke, something the substitute mayor dreamed up and was in place for a week, give or take a day or two.

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 09:25 PM

All efforts are appreciated.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 09:29 PM

You all have some great ideas...but Dennis -- we LIVE here (you are included in that WE)....what do WE do? That goes for the rest of you that live HERE (in Baja) do?

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
I hear this kind of talk from border agents regularly. They don't feel like they work for us, actually dislike American citizens who cross and would say anything that would encourage our staying "home".

Dave......... U2U
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.