Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7
Author: Subject: Baja 1000 hi jacking
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2007 at 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I think you're probably onto something there, but I have to wonder what two guys with handguns in a PFP squad car could (or would) do against the kind of firepower being displayed.

PFP carries auto weapons...But it's usually one guy. ;)

[Edited on 11-21-2007 by Dave]

ElFaro
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2007 at 12:09 PM
Tecate - Ensenada Road

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
Sunday is also the day you can expect a 4 hour wait at the Tecate Garrita.

Minnow...True if you show up at the crossing after 2PM on Sunday. That is why I said to drive EARLY Sunday AM. From San Quintin you get to the Tecate crossing about 11AM. From Ensenada (e.g. Estero) you get there about 10AM. A new alternative I am using is to take the Ensenada - Tijuana toll road north and then the free road to the new East-West toll road that starts at the FOX studio area. Then I head east and exit at the Tecate exit ramp off the East-West toll road and drop right into Tecate. This avoids the Tecate-Ensenada road all together. On Sunday I arrive at the Tecate crossing around 9-10 AM from Ensenada and the line is really short. 15-30 minute wait max.
Bajalover
Nomad

Mood: Strongly - Missing Baja

[*] posted on 11-21-2007 at 04:40 PM

To Chris's family,
My heart goes out to you and the family, whether you drove at night or not.
It hit you as it could any of us; eventhough others include their strange points of view when they're not needed. Glad you got away w/o being harmed.

I'M ... NO.. LONGER GOING TO BAJA...... I ENJOYED BAJA FOR YEARS - BUT!!!

I don't need to lose my Airstream nor my truck pulling it - not to say my LIFE!!
Everyone on this site can say what you want about Baja - the good times are coming to an end and I don't want to be the last one laying at the side of the road.

FOR THE USA IMMIGRATION/CUSTOMS OFFICIALS :mad::mad::mad:- they suck as much as the Mexican Police. They treat US Citizens as enemies of the state instead of the ones they should treat as enemies "the ones that come across as illegal criminals to benefit from the openess of our system".

Sometimes you really do question; why you are and where you are.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-21-2007 at 05:25 PM

Bajalover, If you had a problem with Immigration its your own fault!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Immigration people here in La Paz are doing their Job, and I personally think they are doing, a good job. You do not know Baja or the Mexican people!!!!!!! That is my personal opinion and I will not discuss it further because nothing will change my mind. I too am sorry for the people that have been taken advantage of in the Northern Baja.

I'm leaving this but also have to apologize to Bajalover.

[Edited on 11-22-2007 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 11-21-2007 at 05:42 PM

Hello comitan? Knock knock? Anyone there? I don't think he was talking about Mexican immigration - rather comparing US immigration with Mexican police.

I don't really agree with what he said, but that's another discussion.
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 11-21-2007 at 06:02 PM

:lol::lol::lol:Once again, Nomads taking reading comprehension to a new baja level. :lol::lol::lol:

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
aha baja
Nomad

Mood: wherever you go, there you are...

[*] posted on 11-21-2007 at 06:16 PM

guess the meth bust are up so these p.o.s. are making up for lost $. Karma shall eventually run over their dogma!!!:mad:
aha baja
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2007 at 06:24 PM

P.S. I hope they don't try to pull me over! HUGE MISTAKE FOR THEM... Better dealing with MEX justice than be carried by 6 pall berrers. I took a lesson from Rockhouse Tom. Be a Boyscout and be PREPARED!!!:fire::fire::fire:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2007 at 07:11 AM

KOGO, a San Diego news and talk radio show, just this morning got around to reporting the Hall incident. Amazing. They certainly wouldn't want to disrupt the flow of tourist traffic into Mexico with commerce unfriendly facts like this before the holiday. This is the ultimate in irresponsibility.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-22-2007 at 09:18 AM

You know... a break from Baja by us Nomads until things improve might send the loudest message to those who could act.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11-22-2007 at 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
You know... a break from Baja by us Nomads until things improve might send the loudest message to those who could act.

Good idea but are there enough of us to even notice? We aren't economically important, in all reality. Someone was mentioning the racing community boycotting--that would probably raise a few eyebrows. Or get the weekender tourist trade to Ensenada somehow.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2007 at 09:51 AM

From a racing site----

Date: November 20, 2007 9:31:40 PM PST
To: "Heffernan Building Services" <hirtintl@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Re; Baja MX Finals

What a shame!

I've lived in Rosarito for the last 30 years, and nothing like that had happened before. I' mountain bike at night, ride my dirt bike from my house to the hills all the way to Santa Veronica (Tecate) and back, run on the beach from point to point.
But this is very serious...

I came from Mexicali to study at the University of Baja (82-86), my Masters Degree is in Tourism, worked for the State Secretary of Tourism for 9 Years. And formed my own company (Too Much Fun Promotions) that have been promoting Baja for the last 25 years with more than 12 events per year!

This puts my Company, Profession and Business in trouble.

Tomorrow morning I'll request a meeting with the new State Secretary of Tourism, Mr. Oscar Escobedo, and will bring this to his desk....

What can we do?

Well the new Governor of Baja, Mr. Guadalupe Osuna Millan, promise to take care of this on his campaign, and he's got to do it! Mr. Escobedo is his representative in the matters of Tourism, and need to get his hands on the job.

I will also meet with the Elected Mayor of Rosarito, Mr. Hugo Torres (owner of the Rosarito Beach Hotel). I'll bet he will get on the job ASAP. He's getting a copy of this mail...

In the mean time, we'll need more details on the Chris Hall case... Exact date, times, description of vehicles, closest area where it happened, etc... so authorities can look for those criminals.

Please on behalf of the hard working people in Baja and the Tourism Industry, accept our apologies, and be sure we'll get to the bottom of this. We have no choice!

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-22-2007 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Good idea but are there enough of us to even notice? We aren't economically important, in all reality. Someone was mentioning the racing community boycotting--that would probably raise a few eyebrows. Or get the weekender tourist trade to Ensenada somehow.

Yup, I know we are just a fraction. But, it's a place to start...

After Antonio's two brother-in-laws (one was a Tijuana policeman) were killed we stopped going for a while and now all this crap happening to Baja racers and surfers, etc..

We had a very nice vacation in Nevada and Arizona instead of going south for the 1000 this year and that seems to have been a good decision. Not only do the lack of tourists going south will have an affect, but all the tourist oriented businesses should be screaming to their political leaders for immediate action.

You know how much I love Baja, and it is sad that things have become so 'dark' that I am planning more USA vacations instead! I know that some time will pass and I will 'need' to return to the peninsula... perhaps via Mexicali only?

Ferna, Antonio (Baja Cactus), Jesse, Shari, Mia, etc. are the best allies we Norteamericanos have and could be the voices in Mexico needed to get to the governors of both Baja states that lawlessness will be the death of tourism in Baja.

Sal Fish (SCORE president) must have a serious meeting with both governors as well and threaten to pull the Baja races out of Baja until action is taken.

Just my opinion...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajalover
Nomad

Mood: Strongly - Missing Baja

[*] posted on 11-22-2007 at 10:08 AM

Bajalou/David K - it really would be good to see both the San Diego side and the Tourism side in Baja take some active "public noticable" action to at least begin fighting these types of happenings. It would restore some faith in traveling south of the border w/o having to look over your shoulders all the time.
Besides Chris Hall's incidents, surfers have experienced and expressed similar situations - not just on the hwys, but on beaches within 200 miles of the border as well.
I KNOW THAT WE SHOULD NOT STOP before getting to San Quintin to call it a day.
But that alone doesn't help the safty issue.
Bajalou - I really really hope the Major, Tourism Industry can make an impact on this and make travel workable again.
Baja is a beautiful place and not being able to go anymore makes hearts sad and heavy.

Sometimes you really do question; why you are and where you are.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-22-2007 at 11:11 AM

Something I hadn't seen noted yet previously, but interesting, was this comment in the San Diego UT article this morning:

Quote:
...speculation in the Mexican media that extortion and other misdeeds by police have increased recently because of an anticipated crackdown once Tijuana's new mayor, Jorge Ramos, takes office Dec. 1.

Also, don't forget what time of year it is as well. I seem to recall increased problems prior to December holidays in the past. Yes?

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2007 at 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
it is being sold by Parts.

I believe the trailer was empty...
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2007 at 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Also, don't forget what time of year it is as well. I seem to recall increased problems prior to December holidays in the past. Yes?

Yes it was that way and no it isn't any more.
I remember when things were smaller and more quiet....police would do their job and expect quiet gratuities, asking for donations to Christmas Balls etc, being more aggressive with traffic infractions and asking for five dollar fines. It was a comfortable expectation. Everybody knew it could and would happen to them, didn't care for it but, played the Christmas game. It didn't hurt. It was affordable.

It's a shame that the game has gone by the wayside, taken over by extortion and highway robbery by the same officers who would want five bucks for a present for their kids.

These men are the face of law and order in Mexico. They are what they are.
aha baja
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2007 at 08:45 AM

This incedent takes the term"Let's play good cop-bad cop"to an all time new level....
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2007 at 01:46 PM
What do you expect?

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
It's a shame that the game has gone by the wayside, taken over by extortion and highway robbery by the same officers who would want five bucks for a present for their kids.

It's a logical extention. You expect corruption to exhibit restraint? :lol:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2007 at 02:12 PM

One can only hope.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.