Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: The Baja California peninsula on a budget
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
Natalie Ann, I've never seen vultures looking so beautiful!

And Stephanie Jackter, welcome back--you've gone missing for a long time!

[Edited on 12-7-2006 by bajalera]

Lee... this thread is from 2002! Stephanie hasn't come back sadly...

Packoderm responded 4 years later and that's what brought this to the top of 'Today's Posts'.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

iclarke

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
I thought you might've meant those timeshare salespeople....

[Edited on 12-7-2006 by BajaNomad]

lol....
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FARASHA
NENA - I tried to get the Vultures on the posts as well ( I take it this is taken in Mulege on the River banks ?)- how did you get them so close UP?? I tried obviously not hard enough! Or did you use a different Lens!?(Tele)

The photo was taken along the highway about half way between La Paz and Bahia Magdalena. Because of the early morning hour I guess the vultures needed to warm up, and because of the road kill they were not particularly inclined to move.

Because of prudent use of the photoshop cropping tool, I was able to create a close up picture. Now if only Doug would allow us to bump up the file size so that the resolution could be better...... :lol:

FYI here's the original shot:

Vultures1b.jpg - 47kB

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 12:15 PM

... and here's 1/2 the road kill. A twin to this one was in same position on the other side of the road... and I did get a photo of both of 'em lying there, but it sux (am I allowed to say sux?):

dead-horse.jpg - 45kB

.....Oscar Wilde
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 12:17 PM

Thanks Hose A for fielding yesterday's old post begun by Tucker. I was pretty shocked when I opened today's posts and saw my dearly departed amigo there.

.....Oscar Wilde
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 12:47 PM

Well, Bob H. started a new thread on pet photos, so all is good. I will post a photo or two when I get it resized. I surely didn't mean any insensitivity by popping up an old thread started by a late, beloved Nomad. I think it honors him more than anything else. Also, thanks everybody for all the good ideas.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 02:43 PM

Natalie, amazing photo, thanks for posting. They actually look beautiful in your photo.

As to the culinary virtues of Vultures. They do indeed taste like chicken. A little gamey, but delicious none the less. You must try them. I personaly like to use herbs de provance and a demiglase of orange with a mango chutney. Sometimes, if you are lucky, and they have been eating well, the chutney will already be there waiting for you in the crop. Now that depends of course on how long ago they were eating. Fresh of course is better than ones you just find laying around.

One of my Canadian friends calls Bald Eagles "Vultures in Tuxedos". Now eagles are a bit tougher and need slower cooking. You need to discard as much hubris as you can from their innards. They tend to be full of it. I don't know why it was chosen as the National Bird of the USofA when they had the turkey close at hand. They no doubt enjoyed the aggressive flavors more than more "modern" people do.

Iflyfishwhennothuntingvulturesandvulturesintuxedos

Ilfyfish
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Crusoe
Just ask yourself--" Why would I eat anything that subsists off human/animal fecal waste?????Hot infected roadkill!!!!Rotten Fish!!! You will absorb microbes and pass them onto that could be in the form of disease to other humans! And yourself!!! You can do no better than rice and beans and tortillas.So do as the Mexicans do.Its cheap.:?:

if you have eaten chicken then you have eaten one of the dirtiest birds there are:lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

tlove0725

[*] posted on 12-14-2006 at 02:03 PM

Theres a little place south of san dangaloo at the edge of the river that serves some great tacos de vulture along with salsa de sesos de mosca. Try the caldo de pata de pescado while your there.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.