BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Poll: Build a fence?
Build it and they won't come --- 18 (51.43%)
Fence? We don't need no stinking fence. --- 17 (48.57%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Build a fence?
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

question.gif posted on 11-25-2007 at 01:41 PM
Build a fence?

What Nomads think, bottom line.

yuletide
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 01:42 PM

There arn't too many here that will involve themselves with the question. At least not here.
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 01:43 PM

too bad. I would love to see the results.

yuletide
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
There arn't too many here that will involve themselves with the question. At least not here.

Dennis-------Why? I find that very strange. Do others not have an opinion? :?:

Surely they do. Why would they not share it with us?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 03:02 PM

Barry...

Well, I'm not sure. I do know that there have been threads in the past on the same subject and the same small handful of people have joined in. I think it gets too frantic for some and for sure the subject seems to go south eventually. It's kind of like a hot topic in a barroom.
Another reason is evident. Some people here on heated threads try to convert and convince others and that just doesn't seem to work for them. Most here are set in their ways and just want to hear themselves and be heard. They don't come here to learn. I'm probably the worst offender.
It is a good topic to rant and vent over, however.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 03:34 PM

Good points, Dennis.

Personally I also am probably guilty, but perhaps don't actually understand what I am doing.

I usually feel obligated (in my mind) to comment if I believe that somebody else has said something that I strongly disagree with, or that may be mis-leading, and to not comment is to infer that I agree, or worse, to imply that what is said is actually true and that people will actually believe it if not challenged. That "thought" drives me nuts.

To comment to what I think are like-minded people (we all love Baja and Mexico) somehow gives me pleasure and comfort, and a sense of "doing something" with friends in a world gone awry, or so I sometimes perceive it to be. :(

barry
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 04:22 PM

I voted for the fence! And it's certainly not because I don't like the Mexican people because I do.
But that fence will show everybody that we mean business about imigration. We can't continue to let uncontrolled illegal imigration. That fence might not stop it completely but it will slow it down.
You what to here people scream? Listen to this. I'm in favor of revoking the US citizenship of children born to illegal imigrant parents. They say it will take an amendment of the constitution. I say let's get amendmenting! The sooner the better!

[Edited on 11-25-2007 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Bajajack
Banned

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 06:10 PM

Build 10 fences if that's what it takes to keep em where they belong!
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
I voted for the fence! And it's certainly not because I don't like the Mexican people because I do.
But that fence will show everybody that we mean business about imigration. We can't continue to let uncontrolled illegal imigration. That fence might not stop it completely but it will slow it down.
You what to here people scream? Listen to this. I'm in favor of revoking the US citizenship of children born to illegal imigrant parents. They say it will take an amendment of the constitution. I say let's get amendmenting! The sooner the better!

Would you agree to jail anyone caught hiring and/or employing an illegal immigrant? Say 10 years on the first offense? I think that might just deter the "pull" factor.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck

Would you agree to jail anyone caught hiring and/or employing an illegal immigrant? Say 10 years on the first offense? I think that might just deter the "pull" factor.

I think that would help alot. But, I'm conflicted. I have a very good friend who has two illegal guys working for him. My buddy lives a good life but to me he is cheating. Still, I wouldn't want him in jail for it. Just play by the rules like I do. Ofcourse, I don't think he could make it playing by the rules. But he is like a brother to me so I would never put him in jail for it.
He tells me his workers are never going back and couldn't pay any fines or whatever to become legit. What can you do?

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 06:44 PM

So your friend is breaking the law and so are the people entering the country illegally.....seems like both are at fault to me.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 07:02 PM

Quote:
So your friend is breaking the law and so are the people entering the country illegally.....seems like both are at fault to me.

There is no doubt! But what if there were no illegal workers standing on the corner to hire? If he wanted to stay in business he would need to hire a legal worker. Sure it would cost more but the people who buy his service (hardscape cement work) can afford it.
Instead they pay on the cheap and then spend the money on a Beemer or some other rich ahole toy.

longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 07:10 PM

Quote:

Not sure of the length of jail time, but I would vote for jail time...for each & every individual occurrence. But I'd be in greater favor of a fine of a minimum of $100,000 for each separate occurrence AND each individual illegal employed. With the fines going toward helping the non-criminal (beyond being in the USA illegally) become legal citizens.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 07:20 PM

Quote:
This whole ****ry is conflicted.

Typo :?::?::biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 07:27 PM

Quote:
But I'd be in greater favor of a fine of a minimum of $100,000

You realize this will only apply to a little guy who,most likely, don't even hold a contractors license and are just trying to make a living :?::?:
Doubt that anyone of them know, even in their mind, what $ 100.000.00 looks like.:(:(
Get real !!!

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 07:35 PM

Good incentive to stop hiring illegals then!!;D I was being real! What would you be in favor of? Sliding scale of maybe 10% fine of a company's net worth?? It's going to take something drastic to resolve the problem. And it won't happen overnight!
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 08:07 PM

Maybe we could just enforce the current laws and some problems might be solved. This is the current penalty although it is rarely enforced:

Penalties for Hiring Illegal Aliens
(INA Section 274A)

Fines beginning at no less than $250 and up to $10,000 per alien may be assessed for knowingly hiring an illegal alien. The amount of the fee escalates depending on whether there are repeated violations. If there is found to be a pattern or practice of violations, employers may be sentenced to up to six months of imprisonment.

longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 08:16 PM

That'd be a good starting place....any suggestions on how to get the current laws enforced??
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 08:18 PM

Well, since I live on the border and know first hand how impacted we are and I support the fence. I also support the fine for hiring illegals and some jail time right along with the illegal getting some of the same. I had a brother-in-law put out of business in construction as he paid SS, unemployment, and taxes but those hiring illegals did not. He also paid his employees no less than $15 dollars an hour where the others paid so much cash a day, usually about $50 dollars so how do you compete??? Illegal means illegal and the employers as well as the employees must be legal. We undermind our own economy and our American jobs doing less that the legal way. Our high school kids can't even get part-time jobs because of the hiring of illegals and those using non-working passes to illegally work in the U.S.A. We keep shooting ourselves in the foot by letting this continue. Fence, Fine, and jail will stop this B.S. Mexico won't let you take a Mexican's job in Mexico, no way, permits to work take what 5 years if you are lucky??? Later-------------------- bajafun777

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 08:29 PM

Quote:
Maybe we could just enforce the current laws and some problems might be solved. This is the current penalty although it is rarely enforced:

Penalties for Hiring Illegal Aliens
(INA Section 274A)

Fines beginning at no less than $250 and up to $10,000 per alien may be assessed for knowingly hiring an illegal alien. The amount of the fee escalates depending on whether there are repeated violations. If there is found to be a pattern or practice of violations, employers may be sentenced to up to six months of imprisonment.

As a consumer, are you sure that every dollar you spend is 100% clean. When you buy something are you sure that there wasn't some illegal labor in there somewhere?
The guy working in the restuarant, or cleaning the restroom?
Stop them at the border and you will be sure. Use existing law to hunt down the ones already here illegally and send them back. Elininate the supply of illegal workers and employers will have not choice but to hire legal workers at a fair market pay with benefits and taxes.
And yes, use the law to eliminate the employers addiction to cheap illegal labor.
But secure the border.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.