Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Baja Grande 4WD Event: Day 1
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 01:52 PM
Baja Grande 4WD Event: Day 1

Baja Grande has now come to a close. With just under 1,000 miles of 4WD Trails, toll roads, and winding Hwy 1 miles behind us, I am now here to tell you all about our experiences south of the border.

Day 1: Our group met in San Diego in the WalMart parking lot off College Ave at Hwy 94. 14 vehicles made the trip. The drivers and passengers were:

Ken Cooke
Paul Childers
Glen and Judy Hill
Russell Chung
Nick and Nickolai Kozin
Jay and Brigitte McKnight
C.J. and Mark Wasserman
Mike and Karen Hill
Mike Hendrick
Edward and Michelle Wulfe
Tal Vinograd
Michael Fima
Avraham Schnitzer
Tuvia Pomeranz
Elaine, Phil, and Dave "Renegade" Londo - a.k.a. "The Fun Family"

After a brief drivers meeting, our group traveled down Hwy 94 towards Tecate, Mexico. Driving through Barrett Ranch, we saw the devistation from the wildfires that consumed so much of Southern California last month. Several of us took photos, and before long, we were on Mexican soil.

Our first item on our agenda was to pick up tourist visas. Because we were traveling south of both Maneadero and San Felipe, and because our trip lasted longer than 72 hours, this was necessary. But with all of the banks in town being closed at noon on Saturday, we could not get these forms validated. They were just stuffed in our back pockets, and we tried to leave town.

After driving around in circles trying to get some cash at the A.T.M. machine, the inevitiable happened. Our group of 14 vehicles got scattered throughout Tecate, Mexico. After rounding up Jeeps like calves on the farm, I received the call that 2 lone Jeeps were off of the main drag, and needed to be located. After some fast work, these Jeeps were located, and after sending out instructions over CB radio of where to meet up with the rest of the groups, we were already stopped by Tecate's finest!

The local Policia did not like the idea of 12 Jeeps and 2 Toyotas cruising the streets of Tecate on a Saturday afternoon, so Glen was pulled over and asked to get out of the Jeep. Suddenly, Glen, the Police officer, and myself were surrounded by ~20 Jeepers with no idea of where to legally park, so we stopped where we could, but not before irritating the police officer to the point that BAJA GRANDE WAS KICKED OUT OF TECATE, MEXICO! Yes, our group was asked by the police to leave Tecate immediately and to not come back. We kept our part of the bargain until the 24th, and Glen was given a warning to not stop at the stop light and talk on his CB radio at the same time.

On Highway 2, our group was reassembled, and we stopped at the top of the La Rumorosa Grade high above the Laguna Salada and the Mexicali desert to take photographs and marvel at all of the 4 wheeling spots that Dave "Renegade" Londo would take his buddies in the Tierra Del Sol Jeep club before the new border fence was erected. Dave would point out different locations by name, and tell stories that amazed everyone on this trek. After a few photographs, we headed down into the Mexicali valley for additional gasoline at the Pemex station in Progreso. After fueling up, we decided to return back towards the Laguna Salada along Hwy 2 and travel the toll road leading diagonally towards Highway 5 which travels directly into San Felipe. From this new vantage point, we saw the shacks and ranches that many of the inhabitants of Mexicali called home. These modest structures were assembled with found pieces of wood, tin, adobe, and whatever else could be used to build a home for very little money. The tile roofs and stucco walls of Rancho San Diego were a lifetime of struggle behind us as we watched smoke billow out of roofs where bricks were being fired inside of purpose-built structures. Just after dusk, our long line of rigs made the entrance into San Felipe, Baja California, Mexico. 011-52-686-111- 2974.

Our first stop was at the El Colorado Restaurante 011-52-686-111- 2974 located along Hwy 2 north of San Felipe. As we drove up, our sparkling Jeeps were greeted by the shouting of a happy chef who bragged to the car wash owner across the street about all of the money he was sure to make from all of us. The staff at the restaurant quickly jumped into action, and our group was served some of the best food to grace the peninsula of Baja, Mexico.

Lou Wells of BajaNomad.com greeted us in the restaurant, and he demonstrated his new HID lights atop his Ford Bronco. We unloaded 2 "preowned" TrXus MT tires for his 'rail, off of Mike's JK Unlimited roof rack, and away he went back to his San Felipe home. Our destination for the night was the Del Sol Campground just a few minutes past the El Colorado Restaurant. After unpacking, our team went to sleep to the sound of the gentle waves against the sand in the Sea of Cortez.

4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 06:49 PM

pictures, pictures, pictures, please!!!:bounce:
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke

The local Policia did not like the idea of 12 Jeeps and 2 Toyotas cruising the streets of Tecate on a Saturday afternoon, so Glen was pulled over and asked to get out of the Jeep. Suddenly, Glen, the Police officer, and myself were surrounded by ~20 Jeepers with no idea of where to legally park, so we stopped where we could, but not before irritating the police officer to the point that BAJA GRANDE WAS KICKED OUT OF TECATE, MEXICO! Yes, our group was asked by the police to leave Tecate immediately and to not come back. We kept our part of the bargain until the 24th, and Glen was given a warning to not stop at the stop light and talk on his CB radio at the same time.

Great story...Photos Photos....:spingrin:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 07:39 PM

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 07:40 PM

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 07:42 PM

11 of the 14 vehicles in attendance

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 07:44 PM

Great photos! Well except the one with the semi tractor trailer on it's side. Poor dude.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTI8
Great photos! Well except the one with the semi tractor trailer on it's side. Poor dude.
I don't have very much pitty. These drivers are very unsafe, cross into oncoming traffic lanes, come within inches of oncoming traffic, just because they want to show off and pretend that they are invincible. :no:

4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 07:47 PM

thanks ken for the shots. looks like fun had by all!!:coolup:
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 07:49 PM

Day 1 was a blast. I will post more tomorrow...

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 07:59 PM

Great pics, Ken.

Who has the white "clam" sleeper that is on top of the vehicle in the middle of the jeep-group shot? I am very interested in one of those-----do you know if he/she likes it, and how I can contact them for their insight and opinions?

barry
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 08:20 PM

Quote:

It sounds to me like your friend Glen was headed for a b.s. shake down, but having 20 buddies pull up in support put that Tecate's finest officer in his place. From the looks of that group photo, you guys are a motley crew!!! No wonder the officer was a bit irritated, you all just ruined his plan for a few extra gringo $ in his pocket. Letting Glen off "with a warning" was the only thing that officer could do at that point.
I'm disappointed to hear that the dirty cop corruption is filtering to Tecate now too. It was only a matter of time.

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Quote:

It sounds to me like your friend Glen was headed for a b.s. shake down, but having 20 buddies pull up in support put that Tecate's finest officer in his place. From the looks of that group photo, you guys are a motley crew!!! No wonder the officer was a bit irritated, you all just ruined his plan for a few extra gringo $ in his pocket. Letting Glen off "with a warning" was the only thing that officer could do at that point.
I'm disappointed to hear that the dirty cop corruption is filtering to Tecate now too. It was only a matter of time.

P<*)))><

" 'tis the season, to be dirty,
FA-LA-LA-LA-LAAA, LA-LA-LA-LA!

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 09:04 PM

Quote:
I don't have very much pitty. These drivers are very unsafe, cross into oncoming traffic lanes, come within inches of oncoming traffic, just because they want to show off and pretend that they are invincible. :no:

With all due respect, Ken, I'm not sure I've EVER witnessed what you describe (i.e. showing off).

In fact, what I've witnessed is these guys stopping to make sure I could pass safely while towing my boat (9'6" beam, 12,000 lbs) down highway one. They go out of their way, and when I got stuck without fuel once south of El Rosario in the middle of the night, four of them stopped to help, and offered me fuel, waited until I had the truck running again (running out of fuel with a diesel is not the same as a gas engine), and wouldn't take any compensation for the fuel or anything else.

[Edited on 11-26-2007 by Roberto]
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 10:40 PM

I was waiting for Glen to get shook down by that police officer. I briefed everyone on the bilingual traffic tickets before leaving for Mexico, but there are cops that swear up and down that these do not exist. My remedy? To carry only photocopies of my drivers license, so when the police ask for my license, then I will give them a photocopy. When they ask for my passport, again, a photocopy. Fight b.s. with b.s. is my philosophy.

cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:

With all due respect, Ken, I'm not sure I've EVER witnessed what you describe (i.e. showing off).

In fact, what I've witnessed is these guys stopping to make sure I could pass safely while towing my boat (9'6" beam, 12,000 lbs) down highway one. They go out of their way, and when I got stuck without fuel once south of El Rosario in the middle of the night, four of them stopped to help, and offered me fuel, waited until I had the truck running again (running out of fuel with a diesel is not the same as a gas engine), and wouldn't take any compensation for the fuel or anything else.

I have witnessed what each of you describe. Some very good and some very bad.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 08:58 AM

The semis are over the line often... and I don't blame the drivers as much as the road builders for that!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 10:20 AM

Yes, they do go over the line, pretty hard never to do that on Mex 1. But what I was referring to never have seen is this:

Quote:

These drivers are very unsafe, cross into oncoming traffic lanes, come within inches of oncoming traffic, just because they want to show off and pretend that they are invincible.

cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Yes, they do go over the line, pretty hard never to do that on Mex 1. But what I was referring to never have seen is this:

Quote:

These drivers are very unsafe, cross into oncoming traffic lanes, come within inches of oncoming traffic, just because they want to show off and pretend that they are invincible.

Yea hard to tell that they are showing off. And very hard to keep a semi in one of those lanes. But for sure some of those guys drive way to fast in those big rigs. I can see why he has no pity for someone diving way to fast and then rolling. I was past by one of those semis going down hill only to see him on his side a mile down the road. I dont think he was showing off just stupid. But maybe his brakes failed.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 06:08 PM

It is RARE to NOT see a semi over the side on that grade... I think every trip there is one on its side or over the edge!

Machisimo does play into it, not just bad equipment or narrow roads! Hwy. 2-D is a pretty well designed road off the side of the mountain.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.