BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Baja tax legends: true or not?
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

question.gif posted on 3-23-2004 at 10:18 AM
Baja tax legends: true or not?

I have heard these around campfires and read these in guide books - are they true?
1. buildings that have the rebar sticking up above the roof are left in that condition because the building is technically uncompleted and therefore is taxed at a lower rate.
2. Almost any structure with a beer sign ('Tecate', 'Corona', etc) in front will serve you a cooked meal. The reason for not advertizing as a cafe/resturant is that a small store/tienda is taxed at a lower rate than a resturant.
I must admit I've passed these on as gospel myself (like the dear, departed grandma-in-the-stolen-sleeping-bag legend) but I really don't know if they're true.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2004 at 03:40 PM

Yes to your Number One Question. It is very True.I am not real sure about your 2nd question but somewhere in the recesses of this ole mind, I think it is also very True!

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-23-2004 at 04:04 PM

Both questions are linked to money...

A building permit is good till the structure is finished. When finished, the building is taxed separately from the land....so... if not finished then no tax on the building.

This will end soon. The officials see right through this scam.

Most buildings are unfinished because the builder ran out of money...no other reason.

The beer signs are everywhere because the beer companies paint them for free and give perks like tables and chairs and Hotel signs etc

Then you become a retail outlet for the beer supplier.

Its done here also....:yes::yes:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
hyme7of9
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2004 at 08:06 AM
Ever changing Mulege Project.

Please don't change Mulege.It was fine just the way it was.Anytime you develope a natural enviornment you actually are taking away from, not adding to. The more developement the more that is taken away.If you really loved Baja you'd leave it the way you found it.Take nothing but pictures.Leave nothing but footprints..Just walk away.Don't move a single pebble.Gee, what a novel idea.If you build it, they will come.And after they come it's ruined.Better yet.When your're done there, go help build up LA Bay.Just what it needs.When will they ever learn? Never.Go ahead and take that fish out of the water.If you don't someone else will.I, ME, Mine. What a concept.Hyme
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-24-2004 at 08:34 AM

I think we all wish Baja stayed the way it was when we first saw her...

For me that was when pavement ended north of Colonet... Is that realistic? Is it fair to the people who Baja belongs to? Nope... As much as some would like it to be, Baja isn't our private backyard playground. It will grow and develope.

In an earlier post, I dreamed of a Baja with no more paved roads. That was a selfish dream. I go to Baja a dozen times a year to escape civilization and have recreation. The Mexican people of Baja live there all year. They have dreams, too. Paved roads bring in dollars & pesos, supplies, emergency traffic...

We can hope the Mexican, American, Canadian, and European developers build with as little impact as possible and things that start and are never finished (like Pto. Escondido, the Escalera Nautica) don't happen.

In the end, it is Mexico's peninsula. Thanks to that, it doesn't already look like Southern California!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2004 at 11:56 AM

"If Wishes were Horses, we would all ride to Town"

Or

"Wish in one Hand and Spit in the other, See which one fills up First"

The Sea Of Cortez and the People of Baja have given me the Best Years of my Life!

As we live our lives with the ability to "Excerise our own Free Will and Accord",one of those things is "reality".

You seem to be very Passionate about stopping Growth, then get out and go to Work and do Just that, maybe it will be your Dream to at least slow down that Growth!!

there are many groups and agencies needing Help,even those that I disagree within their Methods.!

'Nothing Ventured is Nothing Gained"

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 3-24-2004 at 03:37 PM

I want to see a picture of that fence you put up Bob. That thing is going to look so out of place I gotta go and check it out. Did Efran recommend that? What was wrong with a Baja style fence? Ocotillo and barbed wire. The floor plans for the cabanas look nice. Are these rentals or are you planning on selling them? They must be rentals or the cost for that lighthouse could never justify itself. You gotta be from the northeast? I can't wait to see it when its done. Lighthouses and Cabanas. Hmmmm. Are you going to improve the road? I have so many questions. I hope when its done, and I drive up to see it, I don't just go, WTF!:biggrin:

Hyme7of9 has always posted stuff like that. It really is funny because he lives in Palo Verdes. I guess it was OK for them to build the house he lives in?

[Edited on 3-25-2004 by Q87]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2004 at 05:22 PM

Me No --Tom

You guys from the "Dark Side" aren't as bad as they say....hyme is probably right but you can never go back.

I'm sure the fence is odd looking now but it will all come together....it will mark our territory once and for all.

I really don't like barbed wire it looks so "war zone like" so...
It was our choice....we will most likely be adding more to line the road a bit.

We will be building the small casitas to rent. Mark you calendar, I will send you an invite.

Susan loves lighthouses and we can't take the money with us so we will spend it in Mulege.

We live in Upland about 5 miles from Sharky but in Mulege soon

Keep watching our progress and if we get screwed we will tell you.:spingrin::spingrin:

our website is:
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 3-24-2004 at 06:50 PM

Dark Side? :biggrin: When it is all done you may have the only Vinyl fence in Baja. Is that the V in PVC? I see them used all over the keys and here they are the only way to go near the ocean. The Mexican style needs to be maintained, but it is pretty when it blooms. I'm still not clear from your map where it is located. How many miles north of playa Naranja for instance, or where in relation to the microwave tower. I will come and check it out for sure. Maybe I can even get Captn. Mike to fly me when you are all done. Who knows, I might even stop by when I'm driving to cabo next month. Glad to see some here can take a ribbing in the spirit intended. Cheers, Bob and Susan! And oh, remember to leave the rebar sticking out of the tops of your cabanas and lighthouse.:saint:
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2004 at 07:02 PM

Me no

Armando and Delia Naranjos are are neighbors just to the south. They have been there 30 years.

Punta Suenos http://www.puntasuenos.com are our neighbors just to the north. We are letting Vic and Debbie pave the way and make the early mistakes. Then we will take over and make mistakes.

We will leave ONE rebar up for you....It will be the piece that stuck in my tire on the beach last year...:lol::lol:

our website is:
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 3-24-2004 at 07:35 PM

Now I know where to find you to buy you a beer! Bueno Suerte!
hyme7of9
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2004 at 03:59 PM
Growth

My way of minimizing growth in Baja is to visit, not buy or build.I visit only remote places and leave them the way I found them.I don't tell anyone about that really b-tchen dive cove that I found or that surf spot that breaks only a few times a year on a certain swell direction and tide.I stay at very small inns if I need a shower but not the big resorts.I don't give anything away.People recieve greater benefits from earning what they have, not from what they were given.Self esteem, pride of ownership,sense of accomplishment and resulting independence and finally self-actualization as a human being are the result and makes people better.Otherwise they become embittered with a feeling of entitlement and prone to crimminal behavior.Think of this the next time your car is broken into or something is stolen from you or you end up dead at Camalu.Baja is an excellent study in human behavior and what can happen to the native population once it is polluted by other societies and cultures.Remember those books you didn't read in school?They're still there with the same information, messages and conclusions.We can still learn.Hyme
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 3-27-2004 at 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hyme7of9
Think of this the next time your car is broken into or something is stolen from you or you end up dead at Camalu.

ROTFLMAO:lol:
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2004 at 12:29 PM

Please Keep in mind that if you always fail to go somewhere because you have FEAR, that you are doing just what the Terrorist and Criminals want you to do!
Conquer your fears and go to new places,Adventure,Learn, improve your Mind,meet and talk to the People.
Think about and read Graham's book,imagine yourself walking Baja.

Please do not let your mind go dusty just reading Books and Wishing you could do some of the Adventures.

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2004 at 02:36 PM

Next time I end up dead I know I'll never do that again! That dying thing almost always makes me rethink my position.
I guess I would also like to know which native population is being referenced, the Mexican or Indian.

[Edited on 3-28-2004 by FrankO]
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2004 at 10:00 PM

Bob and Susan, Live your dream, people are just jelous of you...

Where I come from we like things like electricity, running water, paved roads, even, yea I said it, a refrigerator!

Its funny to me sometimes to read comments from people saying that the population of Baja should not be bothered or allowed to develop their resources for their own good.

Unless all of those "secret" spots are accesable by pavement then you must have brought one of those high dollar 4X4 rigs down here for everyone to drool over while you bask in the sun and enjoy your "proper" stay in Baja. Then after using the area as you please you leave taking nothing with you and giving nothing back except for your tracks in the sand. Thats beautifull, I think Im gonna cry:lol: Besides those tracks you left the people wondering when they would get a turn at the "good life" that all of the rich americans live. The next time when Im enjoying quail that my friend caught with a box and a stick, or after having a nice cold bath from a plastic bucket, or after having fish and beans(again), with him and his son we will sit down on our f@#ked up lawn chairs and reflect on your words.

We will ponder your theroy of minimized growth for the native population of the baja area, and the impact of cultural polution currently tainting the native population. (I think Im gonna barf)

By the way, I bought an entire cove of beautifull unspoiled beach with a beautifull island in my front yard. Im gonna build a huge 7 bedroom castle on it with every modern convienence there is. Yea I said it, even a refrigerator big enoug to hold a whole bunch of food, and while Im goin crazy I might even throw in a few of those water flushin toilets!! Then Im gonna get a bunch of people from the USA and give them a ride down here and show them all of the best diving coves around. I got some info for ya, those secret coves that you think no one knows about are old news to the people who live there. We even have an airstrip nearby for all of those new aged flyin machines.

And all of the guys who are building the castle, work on the boat, help me with the tours, and sell me my land like it that way. And so do their kids...

As far as not giving anything away down here we call that "Cheap" I think that one is in a book called websters.

But I kill fish for money and like the smell of rotting seaweed at low tide, so what do I know...

You can find me between San Felipe and Gonzaga shooting fish in your secret dive coves with a bunch of paying customers :smug:

Drinking cold beer from my hi-tech cooler.

GTB
http://www.gonetobaja.com

I hear alaska is pretty unspoiled....:light:

Here is a picture of the cove where Im building the castle. When I am done it will be so developed I might even be able to take a hot shower.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2004 at 06:49 AM

Wow....

Nice Spot.....

Remember spend your money and educate others....

:yes::yes:

our website is:
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 3-30-2004 at 11:45 AM

That post had me rolling GTB. Classic!:lol:
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 3-31-2004 at 03:20 PM
tell me that story!

Now now Santiago....you have to tell the story "like the dear, departed grandma-in-the-stolen-sleeping-bag legend) but I really don't know if they're true". I am really running outda campfire stories, and havent heard this one!
hyme7of9
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2004 at 10:30 AM
Nirvana

Dear Gone: The Escalera Nautica is looking for a Project Manager.Sounds like your're the man for the job.You can build at each one of the marinas.Everybody will be stoked.They can buy new pickups and drink beer every day.Although with the loss of wildlife habitat,surf spots and fishing areas the original reason for going there will be gone.But just think of it.A giant frig at every stop.Nirvana for sure.Hyme
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.