Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: my baja based vehicle has expired AZ tags
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 3-24-2004 at 08:52 AM
my baja based vehicle has expired AZ tags

and cannot be renewed without emmissions testing, impossible as it will never see the U.S. again ever.

Can i get it registered and legal in mex/baja? i am not a resident nor have yet an FM3, although i have an address i can use. any expats out there who can advise? am fearing getting pulled over if i venture out of town too far.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 3-24-2004 at 10:56 AM

Capt, I have a car I keep in baja and it os registered in Calif. The dmv has a form you can fill out stating that the car is garaged in mexico and you don't have to get it smoged. It states that if you bring the car back you have I think 15 days to smog it and bring in the paper work. You might check at the Az dmv I bet that also have the same thing. Good Luck
Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2004 at 03:47 PM
thx Mick

i'll look into it.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2004 at 05:50 PM

Mike. for many years I had a truck that had exp. Lic plates fro 1986. I never did anything about updating,However that said ,Loreto and Mulege has changed. i would get my FM3,stop in Tj and import it properly!!If you get caught you can say Goodby to your Truck!

It takes a couple of days to do that, as they have to check records to see if it is Stolen.
It just takes time.maybe I will get to drive a Truck down after All.Let me know if I can Help.

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2004 at 07:03 PM

Mike, Skeet's right about confiscating your truck. Unfortunately the only way to import it is to take it across and clear it, then import it into Mexico. You can't even legally sell it down there unless/until you import it. And you won't be able to do THAT until you get your FM and Mexican drivers license.

If you want to keep the truck in Mexico you either have to import or keep title and registration current in the U.S. With your FM you are allowed to keep a US vehicle in Mexico----as long as the tags are current.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-25-2004 at 11:09 AM

Mike

Mick is right...I talked to my girl who does all my odd registrations here in California.

She says if you tell the DMV the car is out of state they will waive the smog and give you the tags....no problem...it's in the REGS.

She says she got in trouble once becaused she used this excuse too many times....DMV caught her...

Go to AZ DMV i'm sure they have the same rule.:yes::yes:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2004 at 09:39 PM
Insurance... a must

As I read my mexican auto insurance, it covers your registered auto... martin-o
bajalou222

[*] posted on 4-4-2004 at 10:45 AM
Think Yuma

If you get a Yuma address, P.O.Box,l you do NOT need smog cert for registration in AZ. I live in San Felipe and have all (5) of my trucks etc regestred there.

Costs $45 a year at sub station at 1107 5th Ave, Yuma

[Edited on 4-4-2004 by bajalou222]
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2004 at 06:09 AM
thx, bajalou.

do they need to inspect my rig?? if not can i just mail in the registration? Wait....i don't even have the expired renewal notice. do you have the phone no.? but then i'd have to get u.s. insurance.....may be i should.....WTF!!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.