Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  9
Author: Subject: Dia de Reyes Toy Drive
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 12-4-2007 at 01:02 PM
Dia de Reyes Toy Drive

To all Baja Nomads far and wide, it is time again to start with the planning of our "Secon Annual " toy drive for next January 6th. as most of you remember last year we adopted 112 less fortunate children to be recepients of gifts, as tradition in México marks that day as when the three Kings or 3 Wise Men came with gifts for the new born King.
Last years toy drive was very succesfull as we gathered over 300 presents of all sorts, from bicycles to Barbie dolls, stuffed animals to electric cars.
All of these children belong to a comunity known as Lomas Taurinas in Tijuana and 14 of them were children with special needs.
We are close to a month away from this so stay tuned for more details.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=21378#pid1972...

[Edited on 12-4-2007 by fdt]

[Edited on 1-8-2008 by fdt]

[Edited on 1-8-2008 by fdt]

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2007 at 01:25 PM

If you follow the link that Fernando posted and skip to page 4, you can read the great report about the event from Tripledigitken and from FDT (get out the kleenex)----also, there are some great picture.

If the first picture that is posted of the little girl is a real grabber. However, I remember more pictures of the happy children that were also wonderful. Are they in a different thread?

And I remember a special photo of a budding romance that started at that event between Fernando's daughter and Doug's son---is it still somewhere? Maybe they have new romances these days and don't want that photo to be shown. :lol::lol:

Good luck for this years drive.

Diane

[Edited on 12-4-2007 by jdtrotter]

Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 12-4-2007 at 01:30 PM

Set up a Paypal account so I/we can send you some bucks. You and your wife are special people. Thanks.From Mr. and Mrs. Minnow.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2007 at 01:54 PM
Dia de Reyes pictures 2007

Diane,

Here is the link to the pictures I took.

Ken

http://dunken.smugmug.com/gallery/2327329

[Edited on 12-4-2007 by tripledigitken]

[Edited on 12-4-2007 by BajaNomad]
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2007 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Diane,

Here is the link to the pictures I took.

Ken

http://dunken.smugmug.com/gallery/2327329[/url]

[Edited on 12-4-2007 by tripledigitken]

Yes, Yes, Yes---those are the great pictures I remember! Thank you, Thank you---they are so worth sharing again.:yes::yes::yes:

Now, where is that one of Doug's son and Fernando's daughter.

MrsFDT
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2007 at 03:18 PM

Heres one from the book signing last year. Ill have to look for the others.... I'll Post them in a bit

Well I think, Doug, your going to have to produce the pics from the command center with Sofi and Ryland secretly holding hands. I cant seem to find them. SO Cute...... My little bundle became a little handful on that day...

[Edited on 12-4-2007 by MrsFDT]

Following FDT wherever the Baja wind takes him.... That is, if its going in the same direction I am.
fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2007 at 04:58 PM

Found them:

MrsFDT
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2007 at 05:15 PM

Video short clip of last years Toy drive. We would like to know also who thinks they might want to hit the bus with us this year.

Following FDT wherever the Baja wind takes him.... That is, if its going in the same direction I am.
fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2007 at 08:08 PM

Thanks for having listened to the show tonight.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2007 at 08:18 PM

Oh no,

There are previously unpublished pictures of that secret romance now posted on this forum---------

They are PRICELESS

Diane

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 12-4-2007 at 08:51 PM

'Nando - I like the suggestion of the PayPal account. How about it?
docsmom
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2007 at 08:59 PM

I also like the Pay Pal suggestion. I'd love to help but there's no way in can be in So Cal or Baja before years end.
Although I realize that just sending money will put more responsibility on those of you closer to the issue. Wish I could be there to do the actual labor but it's out of the question this year.

[Edited on 12-5-2007 by docsmom]
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 12-5-2007 at 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by docsmom
I also like the Pay Pal suggestion. I'd love to help but there's no way in can be in So Cal or Baja before years end.
Although I realize that just sending money will put more responsibility on those of you closer to the issue. Wish I could be there to do the actual labor but it's out of the question this year.

[Edited on 12-5-2007 by docsmom]

Ditto, any progress on the Paypal?

Those pictures are priceless. Those two are going to spend the rest of their lives living with that.:lol: What a little stud Dougs son is.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2007 at 12:09 PM

Mr and Mrs FDT,

Will you also have a drop off point north of the border for those who want to donate an gift and not cash?

Ken
MrsFDT
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2007 at 04:03 PM
Toy Drop off update

I haven't posted concerning the Toy Drive yet. But I just saw my paypal email listed here as a paypal donation for the toy drive....

First I want to say thank you to the three who have sent money to this account. You are angels and every bit helps so we wont turn anything down as it helps tremendously! However I want to keep the focus on toys and dont want this to become a cash thing.

I ask that you not send money to this email address.

This is my personal account for my Chihuahua's and rescue funds for strays that find their way to my door. I feel a little wierd about getting funds there and prefer to keep it separate. Fernando gave out that email address, as it was the only account we had when requested. I created another account with a debit card to help keep track of what is spent.

If any of you feel that you absolutely want to give and cant send a toy or just find it more conviniant to donate, then please send it to toydrive2008@ultimatebaja.com instead and be specific about where you want it spent. Toys or Event organizing. Reciepts available. Since this is a new thing, with it only being the second year were obviously not a tax deductable organazation, but it is something to consider now. (I dont think FDT is going to stop) We are just a bunch of Nomads wanting to make a brighter day for some kids, in the traditional way of a Mexican Christmas. The day of the 3 Kings, Dia de los Reyes.

For toy drop off locations, Fernando has spoken to the store who graciously took all the toys in and stored them for us last year. They were bought out this past summer by another company. However, They are also willing to help with the collection, only we have to wait for the ok from the second owner and that wont come until Monday. Good news is they own a chain of differant stores so the drop off locations will increase to several locations. Yay. So stay tuned for Monday. Fernando will also be going over detailes during the radio shows in the evenings.

With that said, I want to be candid here. Last year we were in dire straits to be blunt. To the point that we actually didnt buy anything for our own kids. My mom did that for us and of coarse the little one, Sofia, did get a Micky and Mini stuffed toy from a huge donation of them cortesy of Oso. Thank you Oso. She was on cloud nine and still plays Micky and Mini get married with them. Too cute.

My point is that even as bad off as we were financially and in spite of my telling Fernando it couldnt or shouldnt be done, considerdering our situation. He still did it and he did it with almost nothing. It was stressful due to the lack of money, yes, but we now know (I know) it can be pulled off with perserveriance, focus and a passion to help someone else, in spite of the odds of succeding. What a reward! (He started crying the minute he walked into that church on the day we got off the bus.)

The childrens eyes lit up and they began to sing at the sight of us filing in one at a time through the small door. The hum of little voices and whispers through the small church building rose to an excited level as we began bringing in the boxes filled with wrapped toys and shiny ribbons. Then when Doug, Ken and his boys rolled the bikes in (4 of them) I dont think the kids could contain themselves in anticipation of who those would go to. Box after box and armful after armful we carried them in. Most of the kids recieved as many as 3 to 4 presents each. (I think a couple got in line several times. :lol:) When everyone had gifts there were still more and those we handed out randomly until they were all gone.

This IS what this is about and this is what I would like it stay about. For us it's giving even if you think you got nothing left to give... thats when you give more.

None of this would have happened without those Nomads who made it out of theyr'e way to drop off, mail or find a way to get a toy to the kids. We did it with 400.00 Pesos from a nomad in Ensenada and a check for $100 Dollars from a nomad in San Diego, along with whatever we could muster ourselves. I think thats right. Fernando took care of that end. So correct me if im off.

Doing the phisical labor of handing out toys and keeping the lines strait, carrying and sorting toys for appropriate age groups was Doug Means (BajaNomad) and his family, Ken (TripledigitKen), myself, Fernando our kids and Kens wife, as well as a local Tijuana historian. Along with a bunch of toys they donated themselves.

With the exception of the kids we picked up on the bus, it was empty:(

My hope is that more Nomads, who possably can swing it, join us on that day. Fernando is working on a spectacular package for our enjoyment as well. The cost? little or nothing is our goal. After all he did get us a bus from the city last year for free. With the money we have gotten already this year we can go a little further with less stress of making it happen. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

One special thing I want to share with everyone. It was the one thing that really got me and stuck with me through the year. OK well its two things but they are connected.

First was the little deaf boy. He was an increadable little boy. He was hearing impaired but that didnt look like it was an issue for him. The minute that bike rolled into the church, he was all over it. He kept insisting that it should be for him, even interupting the line to make his point. All in hand signs and what noises he could make to get his point accross. I tried to tell him that those would be last. But he couldnt hear me and I didnt know anything but to hold my hand up like stop and shake my finger in no. He looked disappointed. Then went back and sat down

Finally when it was time for the bikes he piped in again jumping up and down and waving his arms wildly. Im not sure but it seemed the equivelnt of yelling to get the message home. We were all amused by his antics in an effort to get that bike under him. He finally did get the bike.
PHOTO taken by TripleDigetKen January 06, 2007
Feliz Dia de Reyes!

The other, my oldest daugter, 12 years old and the connection was the young deaf boy who got the shiny Candy Apple Red bike, 9 years old. This is what we strived to teach our kids and it paid off in spades.

I mentioned that we were in bad shape last year no presents personally from mom or dad. Well our daughter Danielle did get a bike from another source, a shiny Candy Apple Red brand new bike just before Xmas. She was extatic over it. Christmas was good to her, on Christmas day she broke her leg. In the days between Christmas and Dia de Reyes she decided she wouldnt be able to ride her new bike for months and it made more sense to give it to someone who would enjoy it. As parents we first reacted by saying that she should keep it, as she would be able to hop on it in just a few months. She insisted and Fernando and I realized that this was why we were doing this and decided it was a good choice. We were very proud.
Danielle was just as happy as when she saw it as her own that very first time. I think it will bring tears to my eyes for the rest of my life. There couldnt have been a more deserving recipiant or a more pure hearted giver.

I dont believe she told many people it was her that gave it up. Im doing that now for her. Both were blessed and so are we. Now hopefully you are too.

[Edited on 12-7-2007 by MrsFDT]

fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2007 at 08:37 PM

bump

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2007 at 09:40 AM

Back to the top

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2007 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsFDT
Heres one from the book signing last year. Ill have to look for the others.... I'll Post them in a bit

[Edited on 12-4-2007 by MrsFDT]

While all of those pictures are so precious, this one would make a GREAT avatar. JMHO

The two of them should be in an advertising brochure for Baja!

Diane

fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2007 at 12:36 PM

If anyone is going south between now and Jan 06, please, email me or U2U me if you can drop off a toy or two on your way.
Thanks
Fernando

fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 07:55 PM

Maybe a bump would come in handy at this time

Pages:  1    3  ..  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.